Saracen Build-up

montie

To all you Saracen, Saladin and Stolly boffins out there, what would be the easiest way to tune such a beast? The manual would have one way, but I sure there are "shortcuts" that are quicker and more accurate, yet yielding better results.

I remember a short video on Youtube (will look for it) of somebody starting such a beast and it started so easily evertime as compared to this one of mine. Are spares such as points and condensors still readily available?

Then there is still the carburettor rebuild. I am hesitantly asking about spares as I am sure it will need some, seeing how fuel leaks from the throttle shaft after switching it off. How sensitive are these carbs to fuel pressure and is there a pressure spec somewhere?

Any help appreciated!

Hi guys, no takers yet? I really need your assistance.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are spares such as points and condensors still readily available?

Yes from Banisters.. better still replace with a Jolley electronic ignition..

New carbs are also available from Banisters & he should have spares for them too

Operation Carb Overhaul kicked off today!

Removed the carb after a battle to get to some of the nuts (thinking to myself how much fun I am going to have when refitting:-D)

The gaskets were intact, although very soft as if they were soaked in fuel.

Now for the stripping to fathom out what is worn (I reckon the needle and seat is one of the offending parts and the worn butterfly shaft).

A poor pic of the part numbers! (Electronic gadgets! :banghead:)

Also took a snap of the ignition module, Standard? Electronic ignition maybe? I have got nothing to compare it to, will have to check the manual again. I will also have to go back to the Saracen 88 article, maybe someting in there?

Well, wish me luck!

sarie carb 003.jpg

sarie carb 002.jpg

sarie carb 001.jpg

sarie carb 006.jpg

sarie carb 004.jpg

sarie carb 005.jpg

sarie carb 009.jpg

sarie carb 008.jpg

sarie carb 007.jpg

sarie carb 011.jpg

sarie carb 016.jpg

sarie carb 014.jpg

sarie carb 010.jpg

sarie carb 013.jpg

sarie carb 012.jpg

sarie carb 015.jpg

Edited by montie
typo's!

During a business trip today, I made a small detour to two Saracens I wanted to photograph for some time now. I did not have a proper camera with me at the time and had to settle for the cell phone. Ok, quality not too good, I will make sure I take the digital camera along next time. Both were open at the back and quite surprisingly, relatively complete.

The first one is in the most unmolested condition with a lot of the original fittings still intact.

The number on this one is Alv 716. I could not find the registration number (plate has been removed and there was a box in the way af the plate bolted to the hull)

Even the gun ring is very complete!

The second one has been fitted with glass as most other security vehicles and a lot of equipment has been removed. (It looked like kids wanted to proof to themselves that its bulletproof!)

The number on this one is Alv720 and the registration number is 96BA66

I also noticed this very peculier tow hook, never seen it before on any of our military vehicles.

25102010229.jpg

25102010228.jpg

25102010221.jpg

25102010226.jpg

25102010223.jpg

25102010217.jpg

25102010218.jpg

25102010225.jpg

25102010220.jpg

25102010227.jpg

25102010224.jpg

25102010219.jpg

25102010222.jpg

Taken on a trip to a mine for a site meeting. Should put one up in the pub!

Progress on the carb. Problem seems to be too high a float level possibly due a worn needle and seat or too high fuel pressure because of the electric fuel pumps. I still can't get any info or guideline as to what the maximum fuel pressure should be.

IMG_1193.jpg

carb cut away explanation.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

27102010243.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The carb has now been assembled and installed! What a mission! All plumbing, links and cables connected, I will start her tomorrow,check for leaks and try my hand at tuning her. Just need a bit of info on the ignition system as well, will be doing some researching in the manuals tonight.

seconded the request for a video. Mine fired up beautifully for about 2 mins then revs died off and wont catch again. new plugs inbound.

Could be the carb float needle sticky ! That has happened with my Pig ! A gentle tap near the fuel inlet union at the top of the carb frees it off usually ! :D

Monty, So what are the black and brown critters in the 2nd photo?

Hi Bob, I think it is called a Blou wildebees as there are two types, the blou wildebees and the swart wildebees. The Blue wildebeest are known for their yearly mass migrations in the Serengeti plains in Tanzania.

This one is still a youngster and adopted one of the cows as its mother. It apparantly just pitched up during the hunting season from a neighboring farm, I think. It was very wild initially and wouldn't like it at all when the cows came closer to us.

swartwildebees.jpg

Blou wildebees 1.jpg

A bit of good news there!

Sarie fired up on the first push of the starter button, not even using the choke! I also found a little fuel sweating on the carb banjo fitting, even with new copper crush washers. Also suspecting the fuel presure to be a bit on the high side, with the fuel pumps in series. Any ideas of the correct fuel pressure, as I do have a fuel pressure regulator that can to be installed?

I am getting the camera a little bit later tonight and will then do the video.

Great progress thanks for the vid. Have you figured out all the idiot lamps on the dash yet?

Nope, still not sure of everything! I know the hydraulic pressure is low as I have very limited power steering and that big red light is all that is still illuminated with the engine running. It doesn't make sense about the size of the lamp, though!

I have had a lot of help regarding manuals which I dearly appreciate but haven't been able to source any South African Modification info yet!

idiot lights.jpg

I have to admit being a little envious, your dash is certainly more manly than the standard:)

snow has delayed all parcel post in uk it seems, so no spark plugs or manual for me as yet.

There are a few stripped sarry's around with dashes taken out, but I don't even want to imagine the hassle of installing it without the proper accompaning wiring harness!

Pity about the manuals, execellent for reading up now that you guys are boxed in. I

sent you a pm

• 1 month later...