Saracen Build-up

montie

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I would use a begging smilie if one was available to start this post! Please, I need registration numbers and pics to update the Saracen register.

It is not only for me but our joint use and enjoyment. I will also approach Bovington for numbers but it is rather difficult from this part of the world.

As per the info that I got from the internet, there was around 1800 Saracens that rolled off the assembly line. This register has not even reached the 500 mark. All comments, advice, ect is required to make this into something worthwhile. Post on the thread, PM or e-mail me, all help will be highly appreciated.

One mistake I picked up is that handler 69 is still looking into buying a Saracen and not an owner yet and already listed as such. Come on, Troy! Andyroo's Saracen was also added after some help from sirhc, thanks Chris.

Hi,

my son bought a Saracen last year but I cannot remember the army vrn , soon as I find out I will let you know

email Tim Vibert at Empire Trading in Victoria Australia. He will have all the parts you want. He has an excellent range of spares and very good to deal with. I purchased a Saracen and Saracen Transmission off of him ten years ago, and everything was excellent. His prices are very reasonable too.

Website link attached.

http://www.timvibert.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Describe the parts as 'Construction Plant Spares', or 'Earthmoving Equipment Spares'.... There shouldn't be a problem as many plant vehicles use similar hub reduction gears...

Matt, you don't think that could be risky? I think lying to customs can be a huge problem if they catch you. Who knows, they might decide to make an example out of you and bring some kind of charges. I've encountered a customs search while coming home once from vacation and was stuck in their line, so started texting my wife. The customs agent started yelling at me and I didn't like it, so I challenged him. He went ballistic, said he was going to seize my phone, etc. I had absolutely nothing to hide, so told him I'm exercising my constitutional right to free speech by texting my wife. Long story short, after an hour of having my luggage autopsied, they told me if they wanted to deal with the paperwork they can do a body cavity search. I kid you not. I got home, wrote my congressman, and basically learned they have unlimited power to screw with your life. Ever since, if I am even bringing an orange on the plane back to US (which is illegal actually), I declare it, so they know I'm not hiding it and throw it out in front of them.

At least in USA, it seems like you have to prove now you are innocent and importing anything related to armor is bound to make them suspect you are some anarchist, terrorist, or just someone worth investigating.

True, but Matt is talking about export from Australia and import into South Africa; a slightly different situation.

Also, I'd be inclined to package it in a different box, with no military markings on it, after painting it yellow and marking it as a vehicles wheel hub or similar; that way none of it is a lie, but it doesn't invite additional scrutiny.

That said, Montie has gone rather silent and has been absent from the forum, so I have no idea what the status of this project it - although I'd love to see him get it on the road.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by Starfire

True, but Matt is talking about export from Australia and import into South Africa; a slightly different situation.

Also, I'd be inclined to package it in a different box, with no military markings on it, after painting it yellow and marking it as a vehicles wheel hub or similar; that way none of it is a lie, but it doesn't invite additional scrutiny.

That said, Montie has gone rather silent and has been absent from the forum, so I have no idea what the status of this project it - although I'd love to see him get it on the road.

Cheers,

Terry

Good points!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi guys,

Part 2 of the registration list.

82BA00 Saracen Mk 2 APC

82BA06 Saracen Mk 2 ACV FVRDE 1962

82BA07 Saracen Mk 2 ACV Australian (Duplicated)

82BA08 Saracen Mk 2 ACV Australian (Duplicated)

82BA22 Saracen Mk 2 Ambulance

82BA60 Saracen APC converted to ACV

82BA62 Saracen Mk 2 ACV

82BA68 Saracen Mk 2 ACV

82BA78 Saracen APC

82BA85 Saracen Mk 5 APC fitted with Anti RPG Mesh Ludgershall

82BA87 Saracen Mk 2 ACV

82BA90 Saracen Mk 5 Ambulance

82BA96 Saracen Mk 5 ACV

83BA06 Saracen Mk 2 ACV

83BA19 Saracen FV611 Ambulance 1 of only 12 produced

83BA41 Saracen Mk 5 APC

83BA49 Saracen Mk 1 APC Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal

83BA57 Saracen Mk 2 ACV

83BA61 Saracen Mk 2 APC

83BA78 Saracen Mk 5 Privately owned by Oily, (Matt)

83BA84 Saracen APC

83BA88 Saracen APC BAOR 1980s

84BA04 Saracen APC

84BA16 Saracen ACV Ulster

84BA25 Saracen Mk 5 APC Privately owned, Paulob

84BA26 Saracen APC Hong Kong

84BA32 Saracen Mk 5 ACV

84BA39 Saracen Mk 5 ACV

86BA06 Saracen ACV

96BA67 Saracen APC Mark 3 SA, Alv 721 Ex Mk2, Saracen 88, privately owned, Monty

96BA69 Saracen APC Mark 2 Last known, sold to W. Banister

97BA61 Saracen Mk 5 ACV

98BA25 Saracen APC was 17/21L now privately owned

98BA29 Saracen Mk5 Up Armoured Post Strike Recce Vehicle

98BA31 Saracen Mk 2 ACV?

98BA37 Saracen Mk 5 Ambulance Up Armoured

98BA50 Saracen Mk 6 with Riot Bars Ex Hong Kong, now Sydney Australia

98BA78 Saracen Mk 2 APC

98BA81 Saracen Mk 2 APC Reverse Flow Cooling

98BA82 Saracen APC

98BA90 Saracen Mk 5 Ambulance

00BB21 Saracen APC

00BB33 Saracen APC

02BB40 Saracen APC

05BB41 Saracen APC

09BB55 Saracen ACV

01CA88 Saracen APC

02CA04 Saracen ACP FV610 ATO Vehicle at RSofA

02CA05 Saracen ACP

02CA12 Saracen Armoured Command Post FV610

02CA14 Saracen Armoured Command Post FV610

02CA30 Saracen ACP with Radar GS No 9 Mk 1 ‘Robert’

01DA38 Saracen Armoured Command Post

01DA61 Saracen ACP

01DA69 Saracen ACP

01DA72 Saracen ACP

01DA75 Saracen ACP

05FF15 Saracen Mk 6 SWD

05FF26 Saracen Mk 6

05FF31 Saracen Mk 6 RPG Mesh

05FF35 Saracen Mk 6

05FF50 Saracen Mk 6

05FF54 Saracen Mk 6 Ambulance

05FF77 Saracen Mk 6

05FF82 Saracen Mk 6 SWD

05FF83 Saracen SWD Ulster 1984 (possibly last to leave Ulster)

05FF87 Saracen Mk 6 reverse flow cooling, RPG Mesh

05FF90 Saracen

05FF95 Saracen 28 Gurkha Transport Regt Hong Kong

06FF06 Saracen 28 Gurkha transport Regt Hong Kong

06FF23 Saracen Mk 6 SWD

06FF28 Saracen Uparmoured Ulster

06FF36 Saracen Mk 6 EOD

06FF42 Saracen Mk 2 EOD Ulster

06FF51 Saracen NFI

06FF53 Saracen Mk 6

xx Saracen mk 5 ACV Privately owned by haybaggerman

xx Saracen Mk 6 Privately owned by FoolsHumor, (Bob)

83BA78 Saracen mk 5 Privately owned by Oily, (Matt) included in list

xx Saracen Privately owned by Andyroo

xx Saracen Mk6 Privately owned by Fasttrax

xx Saracen Privately owned byM151tx

Xx Saracen Privately owned by berna2vm

Xx Saracen mk5 ACV Privately owned by Saracenstump

Xx Saracen Mk6 Privately owned by handler 69 (troy)

Xx Saracen Privately owned by mwarrior (long time, no hear)

Xx Saracen Privately owned by val (long time, no hear)

Another one for your list

I own 82BA37 Mk2 ACV uparmoured

pictures on my profile page

• 1 month later...
yes Montie!, ...twas I, but now and then the old thing does have a 'hissy-fit', and requires a more delicate touch and some 'magic engine starter spray'............ + batteries have to be very good condition too.....

Matt, I know this is from ages ago, but are you still having starting issues? I am going to fit electronic ignition to mine, there is apparently someone in UK (Jolly Engineering or something like that) that sells direct install kits for B80 RR engine. This is supposed to make them start easier, or so I hope. They quoted cost of kit at 205 GBP. What do you think about that -- worthwhile expense?

There is some coverage on the Jolley module on B Series towards the end of this:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/IGNITIONMATTERS.pdf

Clive, I read your report now several times, must admit most of it is way over my head, but I am convinced the electronic ignition module upgrade you discuss at the end is a no brainer. I contacted Jolly, but they are on vacation until July 13. I will order the module from them and have it installed. Thanks again for your link to your report.