Saracen Build-up

montie

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got round to doing that troublesome left centre bevel gearbox oil seal on the front drive shaft. It was a heck of a battle getting the drive shaft off without removing all the floor panels. Well, only one circlip is busted, the shaft is off and the new seal is fitted. Now for the assembly of the parts again. Me thinks, maybe I should do the rear shaft seal as well....:cry:

Feeling klnd of sorry for myself, old-age memory let me down! Again!! I put the oilseal back, fitted the nuts, tightning them to their original positions and feeling quite chuffed with myself:yay: I had previously removed one sleeve for more maneuverability and put it down on the floorboard next to the main gearbox.

So, I start assembling the forward bevel box's driveshaft and sleeve. Then I remembered the sleeve still was not fitted. So I disassemble again, that done I remembered the old broken circlip was still on the shaft and it will interfere when fitting the new circlip. So, after a half an hour battle, the circlip is off and the assembly process starts again. The sleeve fits relatively easy and another half an hour later, the new circlip is fitted. Great, now for the other end. So on turning around, guess what, here is the other sleeve, still waiting on the floorboard to be fitted......:banghead:

• 1 month later...

I tackled the sleeve again this year. The newly fitted circlip from the previous round came off quite easily, using the "specially manufactured tools" and a lot of brute force and ignorance. The front sleeve and shaft was disengaged, DSCN1801.jpg

slightly repositioned

,DSCN1799.jpganother new circlip fitted, (they get busted in the process taking them off!), slided the rear sleeve on that was forgotten during the the previous round

DSCN1802.jpg

and the shaft reinstalled

.DSCN1805.jpg

This took five painful hours.

So now when filling the bevel box again and checking for leaks, surprise, surprise! The oil still disappears when filling the bevel box but I can find absolutely no external leak!! NOW WHAT????

Edited by montie

• 5 weeks later...
I tackled the sleeve again this year. The newly fitted circlip from the previous round came off quite easily, using the "specially manufactured tools" and a lot of brute force and ignorance. The front sleeve and shaft was disengaged, [ATTACH=CONFIG]71895[/ATTACH]

slightly repositioned

,[ATTACH=CONFIG]71894[/ATTACH]another new circlip fitted, (they get busted in the process taking them off!), slided the rear sleeve on that was forgotten during the the previous round

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71896[/ATTACH]

and the shaft reinstalled

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]71897[/ATTACH]

This took five painful hours.

So now when filling the bevel box again and checking for leaks, surprise, surprise! The oil still disappears when filling the bevel box but I can find absolutely no external leak!! NOW WHAT????

I feel for you. I had horrible leaks in my bevel boxes. One was caused by the hex bolts working themselves loose. About when I lost all hope someone told me if it's not leaking it doesn't have any oil in it. Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Another South African Saracen 88 but with attitude. This one is mounted with cameras and monitors the rioting crowd identifying troublemakers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67549[/ATTACH]

This spesific Saracen caught fire from a fuel leak inside the hull and the driver died as a result thereoff.

• 5 weeks later...
Operation Carb Overhaul kicked off today!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36576[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36580[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36575[/ATTACH]

Removed the carb after a battle to get to some of the nuts (thinking to myself how much fun I am going to have when refitting:-D)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36584[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36586[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36587[/ATTACH]

The gaskets were intact, although very soft as if they were soaked in fuel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36585[/ATTACH]

Now for the stripping to fathom out what is worn (I reckon the needle and seat is one of the offending parts and the worn butterfly shaft).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36588[/ATTACH]

A poor pic of the part numbers! (Electronic gadgets! :banghead:)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36590[/ATTACH]

Also took a snap of the ignition module, Standard? Electronic ignition maybe? I have got nothing to compare it to, will have to check the manual again. I will also have to go back to the Saracen 88 article, maybe someting in there?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36577[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36583[/ATTACH]

Well, wish me luck!

There you go Nic! Please post some pics of your sarry, man along with your progress as you go. You can see how it also helps other chaps with similar hassles if there is some tracking and pictorial footage of the event. This came from around page 31 of this thread.

Edited by montie

Hi Montie

Taking the carburettor off is the easy bit I have just spent 6 hours trying to get the nuts on under the front of the carburettor. After much swearing and loss of skin by managed to get back on. Did you take the air horn off before you removed carburettor? I left the air horn on by slackening off the jubilee clips and with a bit of fiddling managed to take out complete.

Shane:

Hi Montie

Taking the carburettor off is the easy bit I have just spent 6 hours trying to get the nuts on under the front of the carburettor. After much swearing and loss of skin by managed to get back on. Did you take the air horn off before you removed carburettor? I left the air horn on by slackening off the jubilee clips and with a bit of fiddling managed to take out complete.

Shane:

Hi Shane, yes I removed the air horn beforehand. It does test one's patience, does it not? Oh but that feeling of satisfaction afterwards once everything is fine, makes it all worthwhile! Please do post some eyecandy, man!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It looks like an early Mk 1 (note the 3 door turret). Maybe it was there for trials?

How is your Saracen going? Made any more progress on getting it back on the road? I've had mine out and about, but it's off the road again until I can get one of the tyres repaired.

Cheers,

Terry

It looks like an early Mk 1 (note the 3 door turret). Maybe it was there for trials?

How is your Saracen going? Made any more progress on getting it back on the road? I've had mine out and about, but it's off the road again until I can get one of the tyres repaired.

Cheers,

Terry

No progress at all, still trying to find wheel reduction spares, importing is no good, so stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Good news about your sarry! I have been out of circulation for a while, have you managed to get all the manuals/ info you were looking for?

I could always use more manuals but my collection is getting bigger :)

Why are you having trouble with importation? Is it that no-one will send them to you or that you can't get them into the country? I could probably source some from Australia for you, if you like?

Cheers,

Terry

Silly question. Would you be able to use one of your current parts to have new ones made?

Toner, I had similar thoughts at some point but after I had a bevel gear repaired, the thought had evaporated! The wheel station in question was covered on Page 5 of this thread. Here is a pic...

attachment.php?attachmentid=27129&d=1274013179

I could always use more manuals but my collection is getting bigger :)

Why are you having trouble with importation? Is it that no-one will send them to you or that you can't get them into the country? I could probably source some from Australia for you, if you like?

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, there is a restriction on "military-type" spares being imported, this was from England. I had the same story from 3 or 4 sources, who were keen to do business. The spares was readily available but permitting and red-tape unfortunately put an end to that. I never tried getting spares from Oz. Do you have an idea as to how many sarry's were exported to Oz, from the info I had gathered at some point in time, it could not have been more than thirty or so?

I will look up your email address again and put in some effort to send you the info that I have.

Terry, there is a restriction on "military-type" spares being imported, this was from England. I had the same story from 3 or 4 sources, who were keen to do business. The spares was readily available but permitting and red-tape unfortunately put an end to that. I never tried getting spares from Oz. Do you have an idea as to how many sarry's were exported to Oz, from the info I had gathered at some point in time, it could not have been more than thirty or so?

I will look up your email address again and put in some effort to send you the info that I have.

Monty,

There were some Saracens privately imported to Australia from Hong Kong, ex-British Army. There may well have been spares as well. This is on top of those in Australian army service.

Monty,

There were some Saracens privately imported to Australia from Hong Kong, ex-British Army. There may well have been spares as well. This is on top of those in Australian army service.

Thanks Richard, it may be an avenue to explore for the parts.

Yep, my Saracen was one of the ex Hong Kong ones imported (Australia only ever had Mk 2s in service). Get on to Tim Vibert (http://www.timvibert.com.au/index.php?page_id=13) and ask about wheel stations. He has much more stuff than just what is listed on his site.

If he can't help you out, I'll look into the legalities and do the export paperwork, if required.

Cheers,

Terry

Yep, my Saracen was one of the ex Hong Kong ones imported (Australia only ever had Mk 2s in service). Get on to Tim Vibert (http://www.timvibert.com.au/index.php?page_id=13) and ask about wheel stations. He has much more stuff than just what is listed on his site.

If he can't help you out, I'll look into the legalities and do the export paperwork, if required.

Cheers,

Terry

You are a star, Terry! I will take up your advice, let's see what happens. Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...