Lancaster bomber £9,500(plus spares)

Willyslancs

And other bargains!!!!(mind you the auction was in 1972!!:n00b:).

Found the sale catalogue from this auction (i was 5) we went to the auction and luckily noted down some of the prices . Read them and weep! , personally i like the sound of the half track at £265......(shame there were no pics):coffee:

Scan10067.jpg

Scan10068.jpg

Scan10069.jpg

Scan10070.jpg

Scan10071.jpg

I went to that museum as a brat. I was only about 14 so it would have been about 1969. I remember there being a Guy Quad Ant there and my dad was in ecstacy because he drove a Guy Ant in the RA in 1943 and he hadn't seen one since then. You could climb in and on most of the exhibits and they were suffering as a result; I remember everything being dead rough so it was probably a good thing that the museum closed and everything was sold off. There was a lovely Seafire with its canopy lying on the floor at the side. It's flying again now in the USA, I believe. The Percival Mew Gull that Alex Henshaw flew to South Africa and back in an unfeasibly short time in the late 1930s was there in a pitiful state. I nicked a broken bit of the plywood covering from it, even though I didn't know the significance of the aircraft back then.

The Lanc was open and I've got a photo of me peering out of the cockpit. There was no supervision - a bad person could have done untold damage. What a crappy way to run a museum, but it was a long time ago. Thank heavens things have changed.

Very interesting , Its good to find reminders like this , think the year before a new Landrover was about £800 just to put them prices in persecutive , how would that compare today with a new Landy being about £20K

I've just been flicking through the pages of Autocar 1977 and a new Range Rover £6844 but an Austin allegro would have been £1900

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Found this pic of it last night taken around the time of the auction ( dont know who is in the pic)............

She is now renamed JUST JANE, and she is beautiful. Been on the taxi ride, took up Rear End Charlie. Unforgettable experience. The smell of those 4 Merlins, full waft of aviation fuel in the nostrils!! A fantastic day and biggest stupidest smile on my face!!!!:D

Hi Mark,

Some brill photos,have been to the Lincs.aviation centre a couple of times last year and spoke to one of the two brothers,

he told me that they were out bid at Blackpool but later bought the Lancaster when it had been used as a gate guardian.

They also plan to get it flying again.

Darren..

Hi Mark,

Some brill photos,have been to the Lincs.aviation centre a couple of times last year and spoke to one of the two brothers,

he told me that they were out bid at Blackpool but later bought the Lancaster when it had been used as a gate guardian.

They also plan to get it flying again.

Darren..

cheers mate , I was only 5 but remember going to the sale ....