What is in the background?

agripper

Whilst looking at withams auction site. they is a ferret with a group of photos with 2 tanks seen in the background.

Lookng at the shape of the turret thought they may be challanger 1's can anyone tell me what they are for sure and also what is to happen to them?

over_large.png|CBR|100

tank-1.jpg

I know not connected but had to put this up. When I was lookingh for photos of teh challanger 1 prototype found this ! Bet he was in trouble!!!!!!

80c67db0.jpg

This one of the prototypes at Bovington.

Edited by agripper

sorry to correct you, but the sand and green? one -closest to the Ferret is not a Cheiftain:nono:, the turret is totally different, looks more like a Challenger 1....:n00b:

Sorry to correct you, but it is a Chieftain! Compare it to the one next to it.

There are some interesting prototypes / hybrids at Bovvy: Chieftains with plain aluminium hulls as proof of concept for the Chobham shape, different power packs, engines, hulls etc.

To know EXACTLY what's in the pic, a closer-up might help because there are so many possibilities.

It might have a Chieftain hull but the turret is a one off -not a Challenger 1 or 2. It looks similar to an Italian Ariete turret without the bolt on super hard armour on the front faces- possibly it is an Ariete turret transfered to a Chieftain hull -the original Ariete hull was similar to that of a Vickers BAE MK7 (leopard 2).

Alternatively it might be a test for a less radical replacement turret for the Challenger 1 in jordanian service as an alternative the Falcon 2 turret which is overly complex.

Possibly a trial BAE systems vehicle as AlienFTM says better photos may help

Steve

It might have a Chieftain hull but the turret is a one off -not a Challenger 1 or 2. It looks similar to an Italian Ariete turret without the bolt on super hard armour on the front faces- possibly it is an Ariete turret transfered to a Chieftain hull -the original Ariete hull was similar to that of a Vickers BAE MK7 (leopard 2).

Alternatively it might be a test for a less radical replacement turret for the Challenger 1 in jordanian service as an alternative the Falcon 2 turret which is overly complex.

Possibly a trial BAE systems vehicle as AlienFTM says better photos may help

Steve

I seem to remember when looking at it briefly in the rain whist waiting to be loaded. the turret appeared to have bolt on armour

Edited by Nick Johns

Nick Johns

I seem to remember when looking at it briefly in the rain whist waiting to be loaded. the turret appeared to have bolt on armour

I couldn't see the bolts of the thread photo but now suspect Poptopshed is correct in that it is the BAE trial vehicle Chieftain 2000 the former Chieftain 800 turret mounted on a standard (Mk10?) hull of the Chieftain 800 hull was used as a target at Lulworth.

Steve

ahhh! yes, I stand corrected, I was referring to the turret for my reference/identification, as in my old vehicle silhouette I.D. book, -reading down the page, the turret comes 1st!, now that I've looked again, I can make out the curved front to the glacis plate,.... I'll drop straight to the ground and do my 10 press-ups!, whats that? ...cookhouse duty too?, ...oh well at least I get extra Jam roly-poly, and custard!

withams have told me that they dont run, drove in 9yrs ago and not run since then. They have tried to run them up, but it a no go!

They have been stood in the big black hangar for years, they belong to Withams not the MOD. There are 18 more Chieftain MK10S in there been there since the days of the Luggershall tenders.

Snapper

Definitely a Chieftain - ignore the turret.

Yes it is part of the Chieftain family but the advanced turret cannot be ignored- thats like saying a Cromwell and a Charioteer are the same.

chieftain 2000 1.jpg (38.8 KB)

From Bob Griffins Chieftain book the explaination in his book is that the turret from 56MS78 (a Chieftain 800) was fitted to a standard Mk10 hull and was used for some purpose by BAE until disposed of.

Steve

chieftain 2000 1.jpg