Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

This is a common place for rust on Pinz..... I got dirt build up in there after only a few drives so will be installing gasket material behind the lights.

[ATTACH]31965[/ATTACH]

Most the body welded back on

[ATTACH]31957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31968[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31952[/ATTACH]

Tailgate mounts were a pain as the lower bar is a piece of 2x1 RHS. But on the 716 the Malaysian Army have inserted a hunk of solid bar in there to increase weight. So what started as an easy quick cut and slice job took half a day to get it tacked into position....

[ATTACH]31960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31954[/ATTACH]

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not brilliant pics but just a few of current in service Pinz used in BATUS by the BRF.

Nice, P93 716K's. Never thought UK used the full brushguards as most I seen had the single hoops on each side.

is that the rearend of an armoured Iveco?

Nice, P93 716K's. Never thought UK used the full brushguards as most I seen had the single hoops on each side.

is that the rearend of an armoured Iveco?

I'm not to well up on Pinz but BATUS now have hundreds of Pinz they use for the Brigade Recce Force now they aren't used as much in Afghan.

Yes your correct that's the rear of the Iveco manufactured Panther, currently in use in Afghan, and here's a pic of one on tow.

100_1893.jpg

Edited by recymech66

I was studying them recently, for 'obscure reasons' and seem to be one of the best choices on the market at present. The seats are bolted to the roof or rollcage istead of the floor so if the floor has a IED underneath it dont immediately impact your rear end.

Also saw one, I think Dutch hit by an IED with basically the front blown off but the guys got out ok, so kind of thought that was impressive. Would be a nice car to own :D

I was studying them recently, for 'obscure reasons' and seem to be one of the best choices on the market at present. The seats are bolted to the roof or rollcage istead of the floor so if the floor has a IED underneath it dont immediately impact your rear end.

Also saw one, I think Dutch hit by an IED with basically the front blown off but the guys got out ok, so kind of thought that was impressive. Would be a nice car to own :D

I can't say too much for obvious reasons but they can be a nightmare to work on, X country capability is quite good and the onboard tyre inflation/deflation system is impressive especially when crossing bad ground. Your knackered if the air con packs up, imagine squeezing yourself into an oven in full kit then switching it on.:cry:

Edited by recymech66

I can't say too much for obvious reasons but they can be a nightmare to work on, X country capability is quite good and the onboard tyre inflation/deflation system is impressive especially when crossing bad ground. Your knackered if the air con packs up, imagine squeezing yourself into an oven in full kit then swithcing it on.:cry:

I was reading they were developing a special forces variant with no doors or roof which to me kind of defeats the purpose.

I also wonder why need open air when gun mountings are run like a Sony Play Station now and with auto tracking. Another comment I got was the supplier of parts was difficult to deal with.

I was reading they were developing a special forces variant with no doors or roof which to me kind of defeats the purpose.

I also wonder why need open air when gun mountings are run like a Sony Play Station now and with auto tracking. Another comment I got was the supplier of parts was difficult to deal with.

I don't see the point with a SF version, definately defeats the whole concept of an armoured box on wheels. Thats what WMIK, MWMIK (Land Rover/Jackal) are for. I think all the Panthers are fitted with a RWS (remote weapons system) with cameras and a screen for the gunner to operate from within the protective confines of the vehicle.

Well got the tailgate mounts welded up and ground flush today, so tomorrow a skim of filler and a dab of primer :D

[ATTACH]32334[/ATTACH]

This is the P93 front frame which we noticed had two small dents where it had ploughed into the ground. I was going to weld them up and grind it back and then figured on this bit of reinforcment/repair.

[ATTACH]32335[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32331[/ATTACH]

Started triming the front radiator tunnel so the radiator can sit back further as the intercooler goes in front.

[ATTACH]32330[/ATTACH]

Mounted the power steering oil cooler, Pinzgauers have a problem with the fluid getting too hot due to insufficient capacity. So the cooler cools and increases capacity. Land Rover fans may recognise that it is a FFR oil cooler and it fits quite well :D. Need to plumb it.[ATTACH]32333[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32332[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32337[/ATTACH]

This is the cooler I got originally for the power steering. I thought the one above was easier to fit. Will fit the small one inline on the auto box.

[ATTACH]32336[/ATTACH]

Fitted the P93 front frame today to make sure all the holes lined up, then promptly took it back out to get cleaned and painted.

[ATTACH]32414[/ATTACH]

T bar sitting in the hole :D

[ATTACH]32413[/ATTACH]

Sat around polishing my badge :blush:

[ATTACH]32412[/ATTACH]

Wasn't quite sure how I was going to get these windows out as needed to clean them and paint the frame. Ended up being easy as the pop and bottom rails were only contacted glued in. Will have to get some brasso to polish the perspex.

[ATTACH]32407[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32411[/ATTACH]

Was going to install the stainless expansion tank but the bracket is welded on the wrong way....

[ATTACH]32408[/ATTACH]

Disassembling the power steering ram. As always when someone wrecks a bolt or fitting it is always something complex that I will have to find some place.

[ATTACH]32406[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32410[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32409[/ATTACH]

Started to disassemble the front diff... waiting on parts but got to try out our fabricated version of what the SDP (Steyr Daimler Puch) calls the 'pulling off tool' in the special tools catalog :D

[ATTACH]32527[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32525[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32526[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32528[/ATTACH]

I bought this Rivnut tool as the usual rivent type gun installation is a pain.

UK design and manufacture, damn nice..... I wonder if they make a rivet tool also

[ATTACH]32739[/ATTACH]

http://www.youtube.com/insertsdirect2008#p/a

Mike let me know how you get on with this tool as I was looking at getting one myself. Gr8 work on the restoration! Cheers:-D

Mike let me know how you get on with this tool as I was looking at getting one myself. Gr8 work on the restoration! Cheers:-D

Going to have a play with it now, but all it all it seems far superior to the arm breaking lever type. I was thinking of my Land Rover when I was thinking if they made this for plain rivets as changing 10 rivets on a Rover is a workout.

Going to have a play with it now, but all it all it seems far superior to the arm breaking lever type.

Well never got the rivnut gun out today as was under pressure to get the P93 floor and intercooler mounts fitted. Started with a bit of gas axe work

[ATTACH]32788[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32783[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32787[/ATTACH]

The modified P93 floor with space for intercooler tubing is at the top. At the bottom is the intercooler mount and a few other brackets I needed.

[ATTACH]32786[/ATTACH]

Was trying to figure how I was going to get some sembalance of straight lines with what I had laying around. Then figured on using masking tape, then a dab of primer.

[ATTACH]32785[/ATTACH]

Worked out quite well. Both floor sections need some dent bashing out.

[ATTACH]32784[/ATTACH]

The guy who spot welded the intercooler mounts/stiffeners on must have been a bit happy that day as more spots than on a 13 year olds face. So after using a cold chisel on 15 or so I started melting them off with the gas axe and seemed less stressful than beating a big hammer into a chisel. Hopefully tomorrow I will have all the bits ready to go...

[ATTACH]32782[/ATTACH]

Then cut the floor on My one..........................:cry:

Why dont you drill out spot welds? I know Eastwoods in the US has a handy dandy device, personally I just use a slightly oversize drill bit.

Keeps the metal straighter than flailing it with a chisel.

R

Had the offsider drilling one of them whilst I was drilling a few on the other and he snapped 4 drill bits. So ground what I thought was left and knocked them off with a coldchisel, then found some more, then some more :-\

The intercooler bracket is fairly thick compared to the floor so the scrap distorts. Also good when using the gas axe as I heat it a bit and the spots showed up than melted the floor off. Worked quite well, but as you said normally I would have drilled them all but my hamfisted assistant foiled that plan.

Edited by fesm_ndt
poor engrish

I bought this Rivnut tool as the usual rivent type gun installation is a pain.

UK design and manufacture, damn nice..... I wonder if they make a rivet tool also

[ATTACH]32739[/ATTACH]

http://www.youtube.com/insertsdirect2008#p/a

Hi Mike.

The rivnut tool is great for getting into tight places when i can't use my normal

gesipa firebird. and a lot cheaper.

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/details/Gesipa-Firebird-12v-Battery-Operated-Rivet-Nut-Tool-1402.html

The battery one is ideal when you have many rivnuts to insert.

Regards

Clive

Edited by protruck

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/details/Gesipa-Firebird-12v-Battery-Operated-Rivet-Nut-Tool-1402.html

The battery one is ideal when you have many rivnuts to insert.

Regards

Clive

Thats pretty :cool2:

Pinz have a lot of 6mm inserts and using the hand tool is doable but no real joy. The new toy can go up to 10mm as can use a 10mm spanner to tighten it.

Hi Mike .

I all so have the larger manual type for doing the 10mm & 12mm

but its hard going when you have alot to do:shocked:. The hand tool that you have

i find great for getting in behind the dash board and other tight places like that.

clive

Well lots done so only a few piccies.

Had to make up a mock up of one of the heater pipes to get fabricated in stainless steel. On the P93 when you fill the radiator it fills through the the heater line, I guess to try and minimise the entrapped air.

[ATTACH]32805[/ATTACH]

To fit into the P90 with minimum fuss I needed a 1 in, 2 out configuration as one goes to the radiator and the other goes to one of the radiator pipes.

[ATTACH]32808[/ATTACH]

The P93 accelerator linkage (lower) is different as it has a step in it to get past the intercooler line cutout.

[ATTACH]32807[/ATTACH]

Sat the roof rack on the top to see what needs moving and where I will have to cut for the aircon.

[ATTACH]32806[/ATTACH]

Well better get packed to get on the plane...... no Pinz work for several weeks :(

• 2 weeks later...

A small trip to Ramsgate to pick up a gearbox, which I may strip tomorrow. This is a Rangerover box with uprated internals

[ATTACH]33557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33558[/ATTACH]

I did this the last time I was in the UK but the previous wagon I could fit more in :-\, ie 5 wheels and tyres, gearbox with transfer case, fairey winch and a cylinder head

Well so much for supporting the UK economy, as did a spot of travelling today and after I got back I was informed that the seller for the rims I was buying reneged on the deal, after confirming on all last week.

So after scraping together the cash, its not going to happen and as they were the shipment going back there is no point getting anything else shipped as the bulk was the rims.

This has happened to me twice on these rims on two seperate occasions so I am thoroughly fed up and doubt I can be bothered anymore