H licence

Hi guys ,

Need to sort out taking my H licence over the winter months ready for next show season , any ideas on the best way forward ? have been told that you can pay and go and do a course some where or that me and some mates could employ a tester to come to us and test us locally in a friends 432 , whats the best way forward do you think ? Thanks Adrian

Adrian,

I had the DVLA guy come to me, it was not expensive but it did take approx 2 months for them to process my booking and then come and do the test. They take the money straight away too, which is a bit cheeky. Luckily the examnier was ex-army and the test went well. I wouldn't do it in the winter, I'd wait to the spring. If you're doing it on the roads you'll need a nice dry day, the 45min test would not be fun on a dull rainy day.

Chris

Give terry brooks a ring at Manstion kent details on milweb he does one to one training in the morning and test in afternoon and you can take it in a CVRT scopion but be prepaired to drive on the road do a 3 point turn , Emg stop , and park on side of road " all done on public roads no drive round a field test !

I'd agree with Chris - wait till the better weather.

Driving a CVRT or FV432 on the roads when they are wet can be interesting to say the least.

FV432's tend to slide on wet roads very easily.

I would't even consider taking it out on icy roads.

One slide and you've failed due to not having complete control over the vehicle.

Markheliops

Can recommend having an examiner come to you like Chris says. 3 of us did our tests in our CVRT on the same day. Apart from driving it at shows, we spent a day practicing the various manouvers (e-stop, 3 point turn, reverse around a corner) on the road.

The DVLA examiner was ex army, and all 3 of us passed after being taken out for about 30 mins driving on the road (fun as it was in the Croydon area). if you have space, some examiners will test you in you own field/yard while observing remotely. Our examiner came out in the vehicle and she had great fun (apart from falling off the vehicle after my test). Didn't prevent her from passing me though! Cost was about £30 per test.

It can be like a car test, so make sure that observation and use of mirrors is correct.

Hi

Took mine in the winter and as mentioned before the roads can be slippy for numerous reasons, the rubber pads do tend to slide and it can be difficult to go dead straight in an emergency stop.

One other prob i had was i wear glasses and it was hell in the rain, mind you H&S might insist you wear goggles these days, not sure on that one.

good luck

Malc

A much more certain way of passing, without the inherrant dangers of driving a 432 on the road is to hire a mini digger & do the test off road. Our test centre sent the examiner out & all they required was a road junction scenario ( cones or house bricks laid out to represent the curb ) The criteria is a vehicle that is steered by its tracks, Which a mini digger is. As said vehicle only goes at walking pace, the emergency stop is a doddle ! If the examiner asks why you need a tracked licence, I would not advise mentioning tracked armour but perhaps you are buying a mini digger & want to be leagal transfering it from your trailer to the work area where you are transfering on the road. ( Jolly responsible attitude ) It was the cheapest option I could find, good luck.

I was told last year that you cannot do this anymore, by the DSA examiner that was booked for my test. he said that you in the past you could do this but not anymore.

Baz

A much more certain way of passing, without the inherrant dangers of driving a 432 on the road is to hire a mini digger & do the test off road. Our test centre sent the examiner out & all they required was a road junction scenario ( cones or house bricks laid out to represent the curb ) The criteria is a vehicle that is steered by its tracks, Which a mini digger is. As said vehicle only goes at walking pace, the emergency stop is a doddle ! If the examiner asks why you need a tracked licence, I would not advise mentioning tracked armour but perhaps you are buying a mini digger & want to be leagal transfering it from your trailer to the work area where you are transfering on the road. ( Jolly responsible attitude ) It was the cheapest option I could find, good luck.

A loy depends on the examiner. after I had my problems taking my test. I was told that If I could arrange private lnd I could take my test with teh sabre but then the examiner changed his mind without any reason. also had the previous examiner state he would take teh test from the turret. I think a lot depends on who you get and what mood they are in.

I can't believe that they won't let you take a track test in a mini digger any longer. As I said it is a tracked vehicle ,steered by its tracks which is what an H catagory is for. After all if you have a road registered mini digger or for that matter any tracked plant ( non military ) they cannot refuse to test you ,else how will you get a licence to drive it ?

Guys you DONT need to take your H test in a 432...i took mine on a Track Marshall Crawler ......round a farm yard..even though now i only use my H to drive WW2 tanks.

as long as its a tracked vehicle...steered by rods.....and its tracks..and the tester can come to you at a recognised place of testing..

the tester/examiner set up a route and a traffic cone "course" and 1 hour later i qualified.

Regards

LLoyd

Edited by M8Greyhound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ive Passed !!!!!!!!!!

I took my H licence today at Tanks alot with a friend and we both passed . I would recommend going to Nicks for your test , he was very helpful and in between the 2 tests we had a little air show due to a Apache attack helicopter doing a little mock target practice on Nicks tanks ,Awesome , so if the M10 is finished in time ,see you on the roads at A and E in June .

Ive Passed !!!!!!!!!!

I took my H licence today at Tanks alot with a friend and we both passed . I would recommend going to Nicks for your test , he was very helpful and in between the 2 tests we had a little air show due to a Apache attack helicopter doing a little mock target practice on Nicks tanks ,Awesome , so if the M10 is finished in time ,see you on the roads at A and E in June .

well done

Mark