Towing a Jeep

AndyB

Question

17 answers to this question

Ive towed a lightweight on a twin axeled trailer behind a volvo 850 with no problems, also did a jeep once behind a BMW 320i same twin axeled trailer but that was a bit hairy as the towing vehicle was too light. But we recovered a jeep stranded 150kms away without breaking anything!

Twin axle trailers are far better if you can get one because it wont bounce around so much on the back of the towing vehicle.

Christian

The manufacturer's data plate fitted to the vehicle will state it's maximum towed load. This is the one that the police will go by if you are pulled over. On my 110 it states 3500kg or 4000kg with linked brakes. There is a guideline that you should only go to about 85% of the towing vehicle's mass but this is only a guideline. Would you tow 1000kg behind a ferrari???:idea:

HTH

Ed

The manufacturer's data plate fitted to the vehicle will state it's maximum towed load. This is the one that the police will go by if you are pulled over. On my 110 it states 3500kg or 4000kg with linked brakes. There is a guideline that you should only go to about 85% of the towing vehicle's mass but this is only a guideline. Would you tow 1000kg behind a ferrari???:idea:

HTH

Ed

I don't think a towbar is on the Ferrari accessories list :cool2:

What's the problem here?

1) Get max. towed weight from vehicle data plate

2) Deduct something for the load (tools, driver, passengers) to give sensible max. towed weight - 85% sounds very sensible

3) Find a suitably sized/capacity trailer from Ifor Williams website (recommend min. 2 ft longer than jeep to allow for balancing trailer) given weight of jeep

5) Find weight of trailer from website (remember to add weight of sides etc if to be fitted) and add to jeep weight to calculate total towed weight, and compare to 2) above

6) Try 2.0t capacity and 3.5t capacity ranges to see what will work - heavier the trailer the better it will last/more useful it will be

7) If you can't afford Ifor Williams look at other makers

Problem sorted!

HTH

Ed

I have seena Fiat x16 trying to tow a horse box! :shake: For those of a younger age, think of a two seater Smart sports car. There are a lot of good cheap older Range Rovers going around the £400, one of those with a trailer limited milage.

Hi,

i use a vauxhall frontera to tow mine on a trailer, i use one from the Brian James range which i brought second hand but they are not cheap hobbies but are a godsend over long (and short)distances.

I have always worked on the jeep being about a 1000 kilos and the trailer is 500 kilos so it should be ........... 1500 KG

permisable towing rate =

which would be the max weight for some 4x4 `s on the market, which exceeds the 85% rule.

you must check the data plate (or check on line)for the relevant info.

Best of luck

Ashley