What's your favourite tank?

Guest Yin717

Guest Yin717

As the question suggests what is your favourite tank? It can be from any era.

Personally mine is the Stridsvagan 103, which is argued not to be a tank for it doesn't have a turret. Yet I think it is just the perfect tank with an automatic loader, can be driven by one man or a crew of three with the third guy with controls to drive backwards. It even has a dozerblade always attached which acts like armour and can dig the tank in. It even elevates and depresses with hydronaumatic suppression stuff and it can elevate better than most tanks! I mean if you have seen pictures it is impressive! It also has amazing strength, and is also amphibious. I mean it is Swedish, and they make impressive vehicles, but it's only fall-back really is that it can't fire while moving make it primarily defensive. However it has been described by America and Britain as better than some of their tanks!

So what are your favourite tanks?

Guest Yin717
Has to be a Centurion, no other thaks has come close to it.

I must admit that the Centurion was an impressive tank, however I personally feel it is only rated up because the S-Tank never saw combat. If it did then what would have people made of it? I do remember reading that they had gone on training exercises in Britain and some of the marshals describe it as good as or better than the Centurion.

Guest Yin717

Wow a rather interesting tank, I can't believe I've never heard of it! It's design does immediately remind me of a Churchill tank though, does anyone agree?

Guest Yin717

What you guys think about the Challenger? British, made about 80s. It's been rated the best tank ever made. Not sure it's my favourite but I find it pretty impressive. I believe it was supposed to be an improve on the Centurion.

After going to Bovi at the weekend I have to say the tanks for me would be

1 Chieftain

2 Challenger

3 Comet

as it was the first time I had been to bovi I enjoyed the day as it was a sussex mvt area coach trip and they even open the MK4 and the chieftain for us to be able to sit in and we were very well looked after and one place I will go to again.

Edited by Mark Collins

has to be a cent use to drive a cent at lulworth painted yellow and with out a turret painted yellow to carry targets decided to knock it out of stick going down into valley thought i was going to die big smile from the sgt you wont do that again the comet was being used at bovington at gallows hill to jumps at speed on demo days 30mph plus they had buired to chuchillls so that tanks could drive over them to show the suspension working best place for them

my tanks are Big Willie, nwith the big wheels on the back, so world war 1, the Panther (closely follwoed by tiger 11)these are so world war 2, cold war, Centurion and cheiftain, then modern tanks T72/80 with reactive armour and challenger 11 (closely followed by Abrahams)

although I will own a chieftain one day as they are so my era...

I suppose I have to say a Chieftain -

It has been described as one of the best and most powerful MBT's of all time.

I read a quote off a forum which asked what MBT would you rather go to combat in, regardless of the era. (Can't rememnber where I read it).

It was the opinion of the majority the Chieftain came out tops.

As an american chap put it:

" I don't have to move - I'm big enough to sit here and slug it out with you."

Markheliops

not today you wont, chieftain will be destroyed in seconds with modern ammunition...your best bet would have to be challenger 2..although I do think its a chieftain on steriods....still would not like to be in any tank under fire...

not today you wont, chieftain will be destroyed in seconds with modern ammunition...your best bet would have to be challenger 2..although I do think its a chieftain on steriods....still would not like to be in any tank under fire...

I may be wrong on this - but a reliable source in the world of tanks informed me that the latest ammunition has been test fired at Chieftain (stillbrew armour) and nothing has penetrated the turret as yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information.

I may be wrong on this - but a reliable source in the world of tanks informed me that the latest ammunition has been test fired at Chieftain (stillbrew armour) and nothing has penetrated the turret as yet.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information.

Can't confirm it Mark - but have heard the same thing from differing sources.