What's your favourite tank?

Guest Yin717

Markheliops

I may be wrong on this - but a reliable source in the world of tanks informed me that the latest ammunition has been test fired at Chieftain (stillbrew armour) and nothing has penetrated the turret as yet.

Please view two photos 3 penetration and 2 none penetrating hits by ATRL and ATGW type unknown but nothing special -photos are from a general training range- nothing restricted- Chieftain is one written off by CFE.

Steve

chieftain stilbrew target 1.jpg

chieftain stillbrew 2.jpg

chieftain stilbrew target 1.jpg

chieftain stillbrew 2.jpg

Edited by steveo578
addition

there's a chieftain at the reme training establishment in bordon which is used for battle damage assessment and repair.It was hit with an anti-tank round on the front of the turret and which then exited through the turret ring at the rear.Incidentally the tank was still operational and could fight on although with limited traverse.however i doubt the crew would be as battleworthy.

my favourite tank was the black prince super churchill,the germans wouldn't know what hit them,shame it wasn't developed 3 years earlier

my favourite tank was the black prince super churchill,the germans wouldn't know what hit them,shame it wasn't developed 3 years earlier

They were already familiar with the 17 pr so that would not have come as a shock and as for it's blistering speed......:) I don't think Black Prince would have been anything special on a 1946 battlefield.

eddy8men

Incidentally the tank was still operational and could fight on although with limited traverse.however i doubt the crew would be as battleworthy.

The chieftain shown in post #29 had the turret interior burned unfortunately I can't find the photo- of course this is without soft stuff (crew and ammo) in the turret an operative tank would have fire supression which may have given it a chance to be repaired, loader would probably be dead.

A A43 in service in 1942 three years earlier than it was even trialed would have impressed the Germans- in 1942 most Churchills still mounted the 2pdr. In 1945 compared to the Centurion it was nothing special and was possibly only developed when it became obvious that the A42 could not take the planned HV 75mm (77mm gun). It would be interesting to know what German weapon experts thought about the new generation of Allied tanks.

Steve

Adrian Barrell

Black Prince was too little, too late. It was slower than Churchill and that's saying something!

It was planned to put a meteor into A43 which would have brought its road speed to 20-22mph on a par with Centurion, although at that sort of speed without a rubber road wheel system the thing would shake itself apart! It could only be regarded as a one of the last gasps of the discredited compartitive class system (light,Cruiser Infantry).

I find naming a tank as farvourite difficult, but if I had name just one I would say the Ram tank particularly the Mk1 but like the A43, the Churchill and the Covenanter not the best tank just lots of character.

Steve