Bedford RL engines

Sam

I'm looking to get myself an old Green Goddess with a view to creating a small tractor unit, ideally starting with a machine with little heritage value - ie bodywork already chopped about or damaged in some way. So I have a few Q's that might find answers here;

As I understand it the RL's were fitted with a 6pot petrol and will accept the 330d engine. I've heard whispers of "white diesel" engines, ie multifuel. Are there many about, and are they to be avoided?

I knew of an RL that had a D series engine fitted, a very awkward job. Apart from the 330, are there any other likely candidates? For instance, a P6? Or a cummins from a modern Daf-45.

The job I'd have in mind for the Goddess would be the towing (short distances, flat land) of a 6 ton trailer. I wouldn't be in any hurry but i wouldn't want to break anything either! I'm assuming towing on petrol would return about 3 to the gallon, and I prefer diesel engines.

If anyone out there can shed a bit of light I'd be grateful,

sam

Edited by Sam

The "little heritage value" might be hotly contested in some quarters - particularly the "RSOLES" group over on Yahoo!! :)

Rather than cut a GG down - assuming you are talking a NATO style hook and eye hitch why not get an GS RL if you need 4 WD (note - not all GG's were 4WD as I understand it).

If you want a 5th wheel type hitch and aren't bothered about 4WD then there are some "S" types (civilian version of the R type) with the SWB and 5th wheel already there.

Cutting down a GG is a lot of work just to get a tractor out of it.......

I wasn't thinking to shorten the chassis, merely run the whole off a heavy nato hitch.

By "less heritage value" I meant simply that i'd be looking to use a machine that was unlikely to continue as a Green Goddess, ie one where the body had rotted "beyond a point" or already been part removed. Give it a new lease of life rather than have it cut up!

The Green Goddess has the wider cab and crew cab, otherwise a GS would be ideal and much less work.

4x4 will be needed from time to time.

Beat me to it Richard! :) The RL's we had in 215 were air over hydraulic - one of the fun jobs was venting the air tank at the end of an exercise onto a dusty floor at the drill hall in the Mile End road.

I think the GG's were the earlier vacuum assist type so not suitable for what Sam has in mind?? Ted Angus should be able to confirm this.

Beat me to it Richard! :) The RL's we had in 215 were air over hydraulic - one of the fun jobs was venting the air tank at the end of an exercise onto a dusty floor at the drill hall in the Mile End road.

I think the GG's were the earlier vacuum assist type so not suitable for what Sam has in mind?? Ted Angus should be able to confirm this.

hi

the trailer i have in mind has vac brakes (it's from the 50's), this being one of the reasons for an RL. I had thought all RL's would be vac - how wrong i was!