Best Camo Ever?

Lauren Child

Only $74,000! That's not even trying MOD have managed to loose SIX BILLION QUIDs worth of kit!! Was on the BBC Today proggrame, can well belive it.

Own up. How many on here have tried to increase that figure - at any time during or after service!

I have - but I can neither confirm or deny any success

I'm sure most of the £6bn they lost was due to poor asset management. You only need to look at the stuff which turns up for sale, for example how many vehicles turn up at Withams with stuff still fitted/stowed? What about the new Bowman radio gear which can be found in amongst all the Clansman stuff? At a time when the MoD were removing periscopes from CVRTs to go back in to stock, it was possible to buy new ones, less than a year old, from a dealer who had bought a pallet of 100 from a surplus sale! I'm sure some of it does get 'liberated' and turn up on ebay, but I'd say that's only a small fraction of the stuff they've lost because of poor management!

There is also the case of kit being lost, stolen and mislayed. A few years or so ago a Wolf Land Rover was stolen from of the ranges, this is nothing new. Six months later a spat of Sankey trailers started going on walk abouts during training excersises. Not just the trailers. these were packed with all types of kit, private and Military. Basicly what had been going on was the stolen rover and it ocupants were driving into large formations (battle groups) during the cover of darkness hitching up and driving away. The only troops on stag thought nothing of it cos it was a Military Rover and the driver and pasenger were in cammo gear. Nothing was ever found of the trailers or kit but the rover was found in there little lock-up. Big changes have been made since. One other thing, a few months ago we sat and watched a Herc drop on the DZ. after all had landed safely a sweep of the area was conducted, nothing wrong with than, normal pro. Aparently during the jump one of the non British PARAs hadn't secured his weapon correctly and it fell to earth faster than he did. It took both parties just over an hour to find the M16, I bet that wasn't the last high jump he got that day. So remember, if you are out for a walk on the ranges, please use the range cross code. Look left, look right and look up, you never know what will fall at your feet.

Tony

I'm sure most of the £6bn they lost was due to poor asset management. You only need to look at the stuff which turns up for sale, for example how many vehicles turn up at Withams with stuff still fitted/stowed?

Totally agree, some of the stuff they chuck because they can't be bothered to remove it is brand new!

We got a big power supply (240V in, 28V @ 60A out) with our Bedford, and I rang up the manufacturer to find out what connectors they'd used. They kept asking me why I had it, they were only manufactured in 2005! :n00b:

Stone

• 10 months later...

Well Ive got a whole load of bowman comms cables if anyones interested that was left in my fv 432 when it went to withams god know how much the connectors on them cost to the tax payer Ive taken them out as its going back to clansman radios if anyones interested pm me

cheers