Whats the best show you have ever been to?

I was thinking about this myself , apart from Beltring I remember attending a show called the DEBDEN CARVE UP! years ago.

It was at the old RAF Airbase in DEBDEN ESSEX ,which the army had called carver barracks And was then home to an armoured regiment when we visited.

It also used to be home to the USAAF 4th Fighter Group , We were told that during the war the fighter Ace Capt. Don S. Gentile was based there . Don and his famous P51 Shangri-La got a little low and bounced off the ground while showing off for the cameras ON April 8th 1944 and that he was sent back home after this incident, and that his aircraft was broken up and dumped into a scrap pit at the rear of the base

The airfield was completely intact with hangers and restored control operations room remaining and runway which had not been used since 1975.

The show wasn't open to the public and the army brought out all there armoured vehicles which they took us around the airfield in .I think my brother drove one as well.The show wasn't open to the public so we could drive our vehicles all over the airfield up the runways etc.We were taken for a tour around the airfield into the ops room etc and I remember a big guy! who people called blue who was there with a gmc truck that he used to ferry us about in.

I also rember camping at Biggin Hill with my brother and a friend with our jeep and after the show ended driving along the old runway which was out of use and watching as two A10 Thunderbolts landed and taxied from the main runway over to where we were parked , The pilots got out and we started talking to them! I think shows in the old days were so unrestricted.

I was thinking about this myself , apart from Beltring I remember attending a show called the DEBDEN CARVE UP! years ago.

I also rember camping at Biggin Hill with my brother and a friend with our jeep and after the show

The first few North Weald Fighter Meets were magic too. And the annual shows at Southsea Common............not forgetting West Malling Airshows.

Those were the days .......:)

I remember going to a Steam show at Rushmoor Arena near Aldershot in the 1990s. This has ceased now, but it was a 2 day event and I once stayed overnight with my 2 Daughters. On the Saturday after the show closed, we went into Aldershot for dinner, then back to watch Can-can dancers on a stage powered by 2 steam engines. Very enjoyable.

It was at the old RAF Airbase in DEBDEN ESSEX ,which the army had called carver barracks And was then home to an armoured regiment when we visited.

It also used to be home to the USAAF 4th Fighter Group , We were told that during the war the fighter Ace Capt. Don S. Gentile was based there . Don and his famous P51 Shangri-La got a little low and bounced off the ground while showing off for the cameras ON April 8th 1944 and that he was sent back home after this incident, and that his aircraft was broken up and dumped into a scrap pit at the rear of the base

The airfield was completely intact with hangers and restored control operations room remaining and runway which had not been used since 1975.

The show wasn't open to the public and the army brought out all there armoured vehicles which they took us around the airfield in .I think my brother drove one as well.The show wasn't open to the public so we could drive our vehicles all over the airfield up the runways etc.We were taken for a tour around the airfield into the ops room etc and I remember a big guy! who people called blue who was there with a gmc truck that he used to ferry us about in.

I also rember camping at Biggin Hill with my brother and a friend with our jeep and after the show ended driving along the old runway which was out of use and watching as two A10 Thunderbolts landed and taxied from the main runway over to where we were parked , The pilots got out and we started talking to them! I think shows in the old days were so unrestricted.

Me and Dohun at the Debden Carve up Sept 1988..........

MECHRISJEEP.jpg

Dohun occupying the LH cuppola of the Scimitar.....

SCIMITARDEBDEN.jpg

And me next to Che Guvera in the Scorpion. This was the same Scorpion that i made an unsuccessful attempt at driving it out from a bog. Only managing to bury further past its tracks........:D:

SCORPIONDEBDEN.jpg

For me it has to be the Rushmoor Arena shows. My parents used to be on he organising comitee and so us kids got roped in to help. Used to be a giant playground for us helping to set-up and take down. Huge showground, superb facilities (grandstands and onsite showers etc....), superb layout and lots of interesting exhbits. Still remember the year that the REME lot brought along a scammell commander and their conquerer recovery!:yay: Dunsfold used to bring along some of their collection as well. Still by far and away the best showground I've come across for a steam rally or a military vehicle show. Shame the army increased the rent they wanted too far and all the facilities fell into disrepair and were taken out.

The other show that always used to be fun as well was the one at Knowl Hill. Not much military but a big line up of steam and they used to bring out a few of the vehicles awaiting restoration. Also used to have free ploughmans lunches and firework display for most of the years we went.

I missed that Carver Barracks event, mates tell me it was brilliant. The guy in the jeep cap in the first scorpion photo was Bob, a fellow acccidental founder of the MMVG, no longer on the MV scene.

Been to so many good shows, all the trips to BOAR in Belgium were good. Ardingly and other steam fairs have been fun (always have the best beer tents!)

MVT at Berkeley Castle in 02 sticks out in my memory.

Bunker Bash of course.

Southsea Common shows in late 80s.

These days it seems to be the smaller non commercial enthusiast led shows where you are thanked for turning up that are the best.

The Irish scene is growing but one of the best was a local village vintage rally last year, just recall Father Ted and the Fair Day episode, wouldn't be far off!

Just remembered, Duxford in 88 or 89? Everyone camped at a local pub the previous night and had a damn good session. Had a big convoy run the following morning with motorcycle outriders. No-one could leave until the Hippo blocking everyone in moved off, must have been 30 or so MVs there.

Just remembered, Duxford in 88 or 89? Everyone camped at a local pub the previous night and had a damn good session.

We stayed there in 1985, the pub was near Saffron Walden from memory, might have been called Woodmans Arms (?). The show day it rained all day, worst journey home I ever had riding my M20. The pub was heaving with MV owners on Sat night :)

As a day visitor I really enjoyed Route to Victory. I thought it was just excellent and to be greeted by an armoured column rolling down the road towards you made it even better!!!

Obviously The Great Dorset Steam Fair is up there, no matter how many times I go I always enjoy it. Just a shame it's only for the four days this year and not the usual eight :( because of work.