How Many casualties

Topdog

I have no objection to anyone driving their military vehicles around at any time within reason, as long as they are driving sensibly. Who wants a totally static show? 1.30 in the morning reving a Reo flat out on the final Sunday morning was not the best idea whoever it was running close to our area?? Luckily someone saw sense and it was parked up before anything went seriously wrong.

Bikes, quads etc, with kids riding them, takes parents, or others to bring them to the show, and put the petrol in etc. These are the ones who need to be targeted, if the organisers are made to feel it's important? A petition maybe?

Jules

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I have no objection to anyone driving their military vehicles around at any time within reason, as long as they are driving sensibly. Who wants a totally static show? 1.30 in the morning reving a Reo flat out on the final Sunday morning was not the best idea whoever it was running close to our area?? Luckily someone saw sense and it was parked up before anything went seriously wrong.

Bikes, quads etc, with kids riding them, takes parents, or others to bring them to the show, and put the petrol in etc. These are the ones who need to be targeted, if the organisers are made to feel it's important? A petition maybe?

Jules

Rd traffic act,should of been nicked for drunken driving 12 month ban vehicle crushed.Maybe we need mobile police station like GDSF everyone will just love that.:coffee:

Rd traffic act,should of been nicked for drunken driving 12 month ban vehicle crushed.Maybe we need mobile police station like GDSF everyone will just love that.:coffee:

so was your mobilette, taxed, mot and insured then CW :whistle::rofl:

so was your mobilette, taxed, mot and insured then CW :whistle::rofl:

Re read post 67 and see me after school.:n00b:

cw,

if its got an engine fitted, even if its not working you need an mot and tax,.............dont you,....... or is it differant in france monsuier :-D

Don't think RFL applies as that is duty paid to drive on a public road, allthough the RTA applies to the show ground it is still private land & RFL should not be needed.. not sure about MOT but third party OFF ROAD liabilty insurance is required...

..."an event based on music and lots of alcohol, can't see the comparison with w+p."

Oh yes I can - this is exactly the problem and it's what goes on after the public have left that needs to change - or some innocent family is going to get crushed to death in their tent by some p**s head at the wheel of their MV!

Shame the W & P staff can't sort out some form of segregation and have a quiet camping area well away from the 'all night' brigade and have staff properly on duty at night to sort out the trouble makers. No other MV show I know of lets such bad behaviour go unchecked.

As for people who have never been to W & P do come along - as during the day it's great. Just make sure you can drive home on Sunday with out falling asleep at the wheel.

Edited by LarryH57

Shame they W & P staff can't sort out some form of segregation and have a quiet camping area well away from the 'all night' brigade.

There are several quiet camping areas. You seem to have camped along the main road, in the busiest area of the site.

cw,

if its got an engine fitted, even if its not working you need an mot and tax,.............dont you,....... or is it differant in france monsuier :-D

£3.000.00 anything anywhere.RFL not required on private property,if it was its exempt.The vehicle was not constructed to comply with the construction and use regulations as amended 1986 so cant be tested.

interesting point about the Quad bikes.

One control must operate all four brakes.front seat/s require seat belts if used on or after 1 jan 1965.

Rear seat/s require belts if used on or after 1 aprill 1985

There is no exemption for sit astride seats because it has four wheels.

Most are for agricultural use and would not test,some are made rd legal.

These if done retrospectivly would need a single make inspection,this is about to dissapear and new regs make things even more difficult.

Limited rd use applies to those regerstered for agi use.

We do have an MOT bay.:pfrt::pfrt: A gantry truck has a very handy bit sticking out for a rope.:whistle:

This is my interpretation of the rules no further discussion will be had

on this subject or any other mot question by me.:coffee:

There are several quiet camping areas. You seem to have camped along the main road, in the busiest area of the site.

we stopped in quiet field, wasnt bad apart from one night, some people camped opposite us were having a all night party, didnt see them all week, I think they turned up friday, and went saturday, at least one of them wasnt wearing a wrist band.

I noticed that you can get onto quiet camping area via the road as there was a ungated bridge leading from the field to the road.

Mark

I noticed that you can get onto quiet camping area via the road as there was a ungated bridge leading from the field to the road.

Mark

There are public footpaths running all over the hop farm that have to be kept open, it's the council wjo enforce this... If you walk through living history & Monktons you will find little paths marked out behind & through some pitches...

we stopped in quiet field, wasnt bad apart from one night, some people camped opposite us were having a all night party, didnt see them all week, I think they turned up friday, and went saturday, at least one of them wasnt wearing a wrist band.

Mark

Sums it all up really, camped in the quiet field and kept up by a party all night!

Where were the marshalls/security? This is why we need 24hr security that can be contacted by phone 24/7.

Hi,

Read this thread with intrest and can see that there are a few problems that need ironing out!

As the powder monkey/stroke firing pin in the M24 Chaffee I can assure people that we had a person on each corner of our tank when it was moving I did however witness other tracked vehicles moving with a "marshall" sat on the top/turret shouting get out the way!!!

The Barmy Army disco thing, it was me who wandered over at about 4am Sunday morning to tell them to turn the bloody noise off or I will! they said they would turn it down however I convinced them that turning off the music would be better. ;o)

I met with Martin the only copper on duty who polices this event (I am a fireman in London so a bit of professional comradeship), he told me that he has very little trouble at the war & peace as most of the people police the event themselves, he stated he does not condone violence or theft and that he would ask that if we cought anyone doing this then please leave him enough flesh to prosecute (his words not mine)!!!

Bit of a cowboy/goldrush feel about the whole event what with self policing and all sorts of yeehaaa vehicles cruising around (as we were pitched in the living history field next to the main road we saw most things), have decides to borrow a couple of stingers for next years show ;o)

Apart from the usual shower and toilet situation was it really that bad or is it because as we get older we are getting more and more less tolerent?

I for one will be there next year however I will have a few tricks up my sleeve to ensure that disco's etc do not go on past 3am and that tracked vehicles are marshalled correctly ;o)

Keith

I was there for just one day so didnt see any of the late night stuff. Vehicles moving about is always a problem and whilst having a marshal is an idea, I do believe that the public should be made plainly aware of the dangers and enforce where possible the use of safe paths rather than walking in the middle of the roadways...as they always do...people should be held responsible for their children...and themselves...

If you take on more and more responsibility for the movemnt of the vehicles , ie waving red flags in front of every vehicle that moves you become ever more responsible for any idiot that decides to take his life by getting in front of a tank...driving carefully and responsibly at 5-10 mph should be enough...

As to late night disco's all I can say is spoil sports. Buy some ear protectors...and lets have an agreement that discos do tone down the music after midnight and at 2 and at 4 etc...we are all getting a bit old but dont dampen down the spirit of the young uns....its too easy to do and too sensible...its a week of fun, I know some need their sleep but there are ways to do that and allow others to have their fun too..and certainly a dance party without loud music is like a tank without an engine....

One important thing though, if anyone has a late night disco, it must be open doors..ie anyone can attend...and if its free beer same applies..

Aah Pul, you say spoilsport? The hop farms own signs said "no loud music after 11pm, due to complaints from neighbours and the possibility of a noise abatement order!"

I agree, party yes, after 1,2 am? an emphatic No!!!

Mark

I think a bit of Moderation is needed here. load music and parties up to 11pm or Midnight, but not after. There are families staying on site with Children who want to get to sleep. What do others think?

I think a bit of Moderation is needed here. load music and parties up to 11pm or Midnight, but not after. There are families staying on site with Children who want to get to sleep. What do others think?

If you want early nights best stay at home, a lot of people treat it as their holiday & are there to have fun.. some of those having parties have kids with them.. the NLBA has a large party at the start of the week, no problems & all money raised from the party goes to charity, hats of to them.

As said before, reading this thread makes it sound far worse than it is.. if all was quiet then this thread would be all about how there was no atmosphere at W&P... those that enjoy it will be back every year, those that don't, well most seem to go back every year & carry on moaning about it..

Whats the point of having a quiet field if people have all night parties?

W+P is billed as a family show after all.

I for one don't mind people having a party, as long as it finished at a sensible time. Music off at 12, but can carry on chatting to the wee small hours.

As The Chairman of the NLBA I read Keitos post with great interest and would like to comment about the parties the club had at the show.Our only planned party is on the Tuesday night and this is held purley for to raise money for charity,we hire entertainment at our cost and this year we had an Elvis Presley impersonator and a DJ. We charge £5.00 for a BBQ and a beer and everyone is welcome,we raised a lot of money this year for our 2009 charity Cosmic ( a childrens charity) and we also handed over a cheque for £3000 to Help for Heroes at the show. The other parties at the show were unplanned and started up as members returned from the beer tents and bars, I have spoken to the person who was asked to turn the music down by Keito and the music was turned DOWN not off, and the music did go on till 5.30am. None of our members can remember anyone threatening to turn our music off. I would welcome any comments and I can be contacted through our website. The debate about Loud music/parties at the show will go on and as far as any critisim levelled at our club I can only tell you that most weekends through the season we have3-4 invites to shows parties and all. I would like to add that I always camp at the end of the NLBA pitch nearest the showers and I sit watching a lot of very dangerous people letting thei kids run wild,speed aound on Quads ,run in front of heavy vehicles, themselves drunk in charge of all sorts of trucks,is this as bad as loud music ?

Goldfinger, I have been going to Beltring for several years now and this year I could not fault the NLBA's behaviour compared to previous years, we camp halfway down the field near the water tower and we didn't get any disturbance apart from the cadets who camped next to us, and that was resolved by simply talking to them and advising them that generators after 11 isn't a good idea.

I think in general everybodies behaviour was a lot better, with far less kids tearing about on scooters but I think this is due to a lot of the kids actually being more grown up and the price of fuel rather than control being put on them.

The NLBA has changed in the last couple of years with a new commitee and a new agenda, yes we are all a bit older and we have several new members however we still like to enjoy ourselves. I am the first to admit there were problems in the past and we have on the whole sorted out the club. We are very approachable if there are any issues or concerns with the behaviour of our members,the trouble is mud sticks and it is hard to shake off the old image of the North London Barmy Army.