Isle of Wight Military History Museum

trophy160

Does anyone know if this museum - Military History Museum, 490 Newport Rd, Cowes, IOW is still in business? I'm looking for some troop seats for my Saracen and came across a photo taken in their grounds which shows a Saracen wreck, so would like to contact them re negotiating possible purchase of seats. I have tried phoning but never get an answer and have tried emailing without success. I'm just wondering if it is a very small museum that is closed outside the summer months or perhaps they are no longer there.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame , my parents visited this year while on holiday and said how friendly and accomodating the staff where ! Hope all the vehicles that where on the to do list there are still to be preserved ! I really enjoyed seeing the museum on the TV rebuilding the Comets also !

What a shame , my parents visited this year while on holiday and said how friendly and accomodating the staff where ! Hope all the vehicles that where on the to do list there are still to be preserved ! I really enjoyed seeing the museum on the TV rebuilding the Comets also !

Ditto - I went with my godchildren last year. We were the only people there and it was nice to see a museum that actually encouraged people to crawl round things!

Andy

This chaps listing his Schwimmwagen for sale(MILWEB / LIGHT VEHICLE SECTION) - in the text it states that is is held currently in the now closed Isle of Wight Military Museum - a good first point of contact maybe.....or if you have a spare 87k you could just contact him and offer to buy his Schwimmwagen!

- Nick Doubble: 01372 725687 or e-mail - jdoubble@supanet.com

I was hoping to pop in next weekend before they turned it into winter wonderland for the christmas season.

Sad to hear it's closed. From what i understand all of the vehicles there were privately owned by various individuals and organisations, with the museum being an easy means of keeping them under cover and someone always around to keep an eye on them.

I went there last year whilst working on the Island I finally got in after many years of trying It was a lovely museum and the workshop at the back was open too.

Afterwards has a chat with the boys outside who were trying to sell me a Scammel artic and lowloader.

Shame it has closed if i remember right they built up a sherman by welding two old halves together some feat and miles of stainless mig wire

I saw the Shermans (actually they were Canadian Grizzlies) in the welding jig part way through the welding process, what a piece of engineering that jig was. The first time I visited this museum it wasn't built! In fact Dave Arnold, who started the museum was rigging the crane to lift the steelwork for the buildings. Dave took time off and gave me a guided tour of the vehicles there, as far as I am aware he owned the Antar, all the Conquerors, the Cenurion ARV, Saracen, Humber Pig, T54, M47, 3 Comets and a load of other vehicles further down the yard, he even had a collection of old construction equipment. Very sad to see it closed.

A great shame but it did seem to be coming, what with quite a few vehicles coming up for sale over the last couple of years. At the end of the day you can't eat armour..!

Personally I thought the tank overhaul programmes featuring Dave were the best of the lot....I still chuckle at his quote when everybody was cooing over Tiger 131 'we won the war y'know!!!'..

Good luck to them whatever they do next and lets hope not too much goes to the scrapman..

• 1 month later...

Good news!!! The Isle of Wight Military Museum is re opening! An acquaintance of mine starts as manager there in January, and his wife will be running a 1940s themed cafe. I will be over there the first bank holiday in May, although Stan won't be at the museum, but running the bike rally we'll be at.

• 4 weeks later...