Isle of Wight Military History Museum

trophy160

We'll according to my mate Stan who lives on the Isle of Wight, and among other things runs the I.O.W branch of the Royal British Legion Riders, he starts a new job as manager of the I.O.W Military History Museum in January, and in his own words is looking forward to playing with 'Big boys toys'.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll according to my mate Stan who lives on the Isle of Wight, and among other things runs the I.O.W branch of the Royal British Legion Riders, he starts a new job as manager of the I.O.W Military History Museum in January, and in his own words is looking forward to playing with 'Big boys toys'.

Good luck too him I hope he enjoys playing with the toys lol

• 5 weeks later...

The IOW Museum has closed. All the vehicles etc have gone back to their owners on the Island. There has been talk on the Island by various people and groups to try and re kindle it. But nothing is moving at the moment. Money, time etc is the problem. I can not see it opening again. As many of you know there is an old an established local Military Vehicle Group on the IOW and they will keep the spirit going.

• 1 month later...

As someone who's visited the island at least once a year for the past few years (since 2004 I think), I was gutted to hear about the closure of the museum. Every trip I made to the island, I dropped in to have a wander around, chat with some of the staff and it was a fantastic opportunity to get up close to one of my favourite AFV's of all time; the Churchill tank.

Their facebook page confirmed that they officially closed as a business on 18th of October 2013 (or that's when the message was posted anyway).

My other main interest in the museum was the small number of vintage machinery they were using there, two 1970's JCB's and a couple of cranes. I was always hoping to get better pictures of these but now I guess they've gone as well?

Does anyone have any contact with a former member of staff maybe? I've tried searching for any contact details available and have come up with nothing so far. Hopefully someone else has had more luck than I have!

Thanks.

Best regards

Gavin

As someone who's visited the island at least once a year for the past few years (since 2004 I think), I was gutted to hear about the closure of the museum. Every trip I made to the island, I dropped in to have a wander around, chat with some of the staff and it was a fantastic opportunity to get up close to one of my favourite AFV's of all time; the Churchill tank.

Their facebook page confirmed that they officially closed as a business on 18th of October 2013 (or that's when the message was posted anyway).

My other main interest in the museum was the small number of vintage machinery they were using there, two 1970's JCB's and a couple of cranes. I was always hoping to get better pictures of these but now I guess they've gone as well?

Does anyone have any contact with a former member of staff maybe? I've tried searching for any contact details available and have come up with nothing so far. Hopefully someone else has had more luck than I have!

Thanks.

Best regards

Gavin

Look on Milweb.net Sexton Tank

Does anyone have any contact with a former member of staff maybe? I've tried searching for any contact details available and have come up with nothing so far. Hopefully someone else has had more luck than I have

They are now Wight Armour restoration

http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/wight_armour_restoration/

Edited by Nick Johns

I was down there on Wednesday and the museum s being refurbished ready to be re opened but with a slightly different focus on veteran rehab aswell as normal museum stuff so the future looks secure and yes the old plant stuff is still there along with the conq's

rick

And there will be no more Wight Armour Restoration, Dave and ex-partners are supposedly selling of their armor that they own and will do no more work.

Maybe there's just not enough trade to make a viable business from tank & armoured vehicle restoration? Very sad to hear this.

I don't know if this is true for this specific business, but in some places I know they take on apprentices so they actually get hands-on experience of welding, fabrication and similar jobs. Invaluable training and expertise, much sought after since the shipyards have all but closed and the skills have been lost since the workers have had to leave the area for work or change jobs completely.

Oh well, I don't suppose I'll ever see another Churchill tank again.

Best regards

Gavin

• 4 months later...

Its now re-opening with the rather strange name The CHARM Museum, [Conflict, History & Rememberance Museum], could create confusion that its a place full of tacky jewellery? Is the name going to attract visitors?

Hopefully may get a better understanding when more information and pictures are released.

Edited by Nick Johns

running anything like this must be hard work. I am currently trying to find a place for my collection but I am being hounded out of everywhere...I have the perfect place In south Alton but its now in the south downs national park and I am told that there will be no chance of getting it approved, cant even build myself a house to live on my own land even though I want to put my cattle there...its ludicrous...

the Uk is not an easy place to do anything, create a business, create jobs or to earn a living...forget it...save the trees and the wildlife and you may have a chance to do something...European union will give you money to do that...

this country is slowly killing itself with rules and regulations trying to stop this and control that to the point where nothing will happen and we will be left behind by the rest of the world..

yes i have just put an offer in for 90 acres of land barns and lakes in the South downs, i want to famr the 90 acres, and build my museum on the area that has planning for a waste reclamation site. what is the consensus ...NO...lets keep the waste reclamation its already there and no chance for the museum...they wont even give me the go ahead for a house so i can look after my animals...it is plain ludicrous...and yet in the national park of the cairngorms they are building 1500 homes right slap bang in the middle of it...its just plain madness.

yet in the national park of the cairngorms they are building 1500 homes right slap bang in the middle of it...its just plain madness.
Yes heard that shortly after your post, double standards somewhere.:shocked: