Should I buy an Austin Champ????????

Snapper

Men,

The time has come for me to prepare the ground for flogging my Iltis and buying something else.

There is a sequence of events to this which I'll save you from - but my innitial thoughts are about Champs. I'm not going above a jeepish size motor. So, whats the SP on Champs. Good, bad, what sort of servicing required. All thoughts welcome.

Alternatives: a jeep, an M38 or a Mutt - any other suggestions.

MB

BTW - anyone want an Iltis?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

Champs are nice vehicles. Lots of people hate them because they're fairly complex, and need a lot of love. The B40 engine is excellent and they're pretty quick, the suspension is also very good and is much better than a leaf sprung Land Rover.

They do tend to rot quite badly in the body, but replacement panels are easy to come by. The back axles are the weakness, but if you get one which has been looked after you should be fine. There are plenty of spares about aswell as Champ News and Champ World magazines for help and advice.

Chris

I like Champs as Chris says lovely suspension and lots of people about who can testify as to their ride.

How much for the Iltis ?

2200-ish. Mine needs tidyting up. It is not a perfect example visually - but the potential is there for someone with brains, time and all that jazz.

:-D Go for the champ mate or where you live how about a nice pig :evil: only kidding there are more spares than yoiu can throw a stick at for the champ

Are you referring to the religion of my neighbours or their manners? Chucking out time in The Plough does lead to the occasional bit of takeaway junk being left in the Iltis...and a tramp slept in it for a couple of nights.

Well Snapper, at least with a Champ coming out of the pub is no problem. you don't even have to turn round, its as fast backwards as forwards. :-D

Several were used in Jersey (yes off agin) when I was a young shaver, as boat tugs on the beaches, you can imagine the state they got into. Ah if i knew then.......... :dunno:

I owned a Champ once.

Pros - It's British, the engine's very good, it has 5 reverse gears, on bumpy tracks it is very stable.

Cons - It won't hold the road in the wet, it leaks oil from the back axle, it's very heavy to steer, the 2 speed generators have a tendancy to lock up.

They are great fun over bumpy or rocky tracks, and stay very level. However, I found that on wet tarmac they didn't grip the road at all.

If you get one, check the back axle oil level regular and often. The engine can look after itself.

Very interesting....I haven't even begun to flog the Iltis yet - and it has to go and I need a garage for it. But this is all in hand. The Champ really appeals - James wants one so he can do his PW Brit re-enactor stuff in it. His mum just wants shot of the Iltis. I'm still easy going about it. I've always liked M38s and being very pro-Canadian in outlook I wouldn't mind making one up as a CDN version in one of the regional command liveries - probably Western, as they have a great MV club named after them in BC and beyond.

I digress....

Hi Snapper.

I had a Champ once - but didn't know any better so when the rear diff went - I got rid of it. Wish I hadn't though. Was loads of fun. :-D

On the other side of the coin - A friend of mine happens to be selling an M38. If you're interested, I'll get you the details.

Markheliops

Hi Snapper.

I had a Champ once - but didn't know any better so when the rear diff went - I got rid of it. Wish I hadn't though. Was loads of fun. :-D

On the other side of the coin - A friend of mine happens to be selling an M38. If you're interested, I'll get you the details.

Markheliops

Havn't advertised the Iltis yet. Tardy. So much to do. I also have to find a garage in Southend. Ha ha.

Andrea, what you do 'out of the goodness of your heart' is decide the little woman should have her own transport, make life easier for her to fulfil her duties of feeding clothing and seeing to your comforts. Then present her with your current wagon, but of course you have to a replacement. See easy, mind you make sure the garden shed is weatherproof, your likely to be spending a lot of nights sleeping in it. :-D

Ah now if she is into agricultural machines. There is a cunning plan. Back home in Jersey ground is so short the steep slopes known a Cotils are ploughed for Jersey Royals. This used to be done by throwing the plough over the top on a wire and winching it up the slope. One guy did have a Champ with a PTO and drum on the back for this purpose, so you aren't necessarily buying another military vehicle. You could promise her an ex RAF David Brown.