Tool hunt

john1950

3 hours ago, johnwardle said:

I see that you have both left and right handed adjustables, the big question is are they imperial or metric?

IREGA  do offer both right & left turning models ,  ISTR it is the knurl nut helix thread - uncertain of the benefit(s)  , I doubt if it is to provide best choice option for both right & left handed persons  ?

4 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Wire Cutters, Folding . to be exact. I keep a 1944 set in the back of the Disco, very useful. What date are  those

They were in the Scammell Explorer CES, along with a manual chain saw in a leather wallet and lots of other interesting pieces.

Date on wire cutters folding 1980. Adjustable spanners may be the tools of the devil but they save a lot of time if you are working any distance from a tool box or at height, or down a hole. They are handy for holding 2 pieces of metal in place to get a tack on, very versatile. You may find 7 nuts and bolts the same size and one different some distance from a correct spanner, gives an option. I have scotch locks in a box somewhere but have never used them. Maybe one day, never say never. A rusty nut is an adjustable nut.

Edited by john1950

If you want a handy to hold metal. I'd suggest a couple of Gunmakers Hand Vices.  You can get them easily and cheaply. Alwyas worth having in the box. I've got the folding saw s well, good tools keep going.

Edited by Tony B

3 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

They were in the Scammell Explorer CES, along with a manual chain saw in a leather wallet and lots of other interesting pieces.

Believe it or not, the same wire cutters are still part of the CES for CVRTs the oldest ones that I have found ere dated 1942! I have also found 1944 dated Trench Mirrors as part of the RARDEN  cleaning kit.

I am equally convinced that the number of tools, of the same size, shape and form is directly proportional to the number of sheds you have.  It is a truism that a tool will always be hiding in a different shed to the one you are actually in, and where the tool is needed.  It thus follows that you must acquire more tools of the same size/shape/form to counteract this effect.  But there lies folly - it  only exacerbates the phenomenon.  The adjustable spanner is like cooking lager (or Fosters as it badged locally) - whilst unpalatable, it serves a purpose.

I may christen this law "Scrunt & Fathings' Law of Walking Back and Forth betwixt sheds"

Dave(S&F)

Edited by Scrunt & Farthing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, john1950 said:

Date on wire cutters folding 1980. Adjustable spanners may be the tools of the devil but they save a lot of time if you are working any distance from a tool box or at height, or down a hole. They are handy for holding 2 pieces of metal in place to get a tack on, very versatile. You may find 7 nuts and bolts the same size and one different some distance from a correct spanner, gives an option. I have scotch locks in a box somewhere but have never used them. Maybe one day, never say never.

If one bolt head is a different size to the rest it's probably because someone has nadgered it with an adjustable spanner!  🙂

Andy

An adjustable slips into a pocket unlike a vice. A diifferent bolt is because someone did not have enough correct ones and substitution to get the job away was the order of the day. If you are climbing down 60 feet or so vertically into a ships hold at sillyoclock in the morning with not mutch light an no harness, you carry as little as posible to get the job done as on the way back up I am sure those top rungs get further apart. None tween deckers had nowhere to take a breather. I used to take My favourate screwdriver/chisel, one or two adjustables a smallish hammer and an assortment of combination open ended/ring spanners. Usually all the information was, its broken down or if I was lucky there is a leak no fluid specified. A problem I have had in the past with rounded nuts and bolts is people using point drive sockets instead of flank drive ones in high torque situations.  

Edited by john1950
addition

4 hours ago, Tony B said:

Due to forced lockdown, I have started to 'Tidy Up!' The Shed is next. I may be gone sometime! 🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘

Same here and as long as its dry intend to start soon, wonder how many things will go on EBay after

Dear All,

I was tempted to sanctimoniously boast that I did not have an adjustable spanner in my main workshop.  I might have one in the Landrover's tool box.  I do have one on the shadow board at home in the garage.  I have to confess to using it yesterday but, in my defence, it was to hold the fuel rail still on the Meteor M120  engine AND it was 20mm square section. I hope that I can be forgiven!

John

Manifold 4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1