Dodge Brakes

Tony B

Question

Ouch, I was thinking per axle. Still its a lot cheaper than one crunched Dodge, a large fine, possibly insurance payouts and heaps of points on my licence. I was advised on 'another place' to get a soft lining if I go that route. Any comment's please? More opinion more knowledge.

One of the sides on mine were contaminated with axle oil from a conked out oil seal that had been running into the drum & slathering everything up.

Once i'd stopped laughing at the price i went out back to the shed and took them off got the blowtorch and spent some time over them and burned the oil out of the shoes (which were like new just oily). Warm them up enough and the oil makes its way out. (depends on whether you've got bonded or riveted shoes (mine were riveted). About 15/20 mins a shoe and careful use of heat, brake cleaner mask & wire brush to rough 'em up a bit to take the glaze off and back on... fine and still on now... stops on a sixpence.... whatever that is! :whistle:

I see the conversation is going in its usual direction. :| For you lot who aren't old enough to which side of razor blade to use, a sixpence, 2 1/2p was just over the size of a 1 p piece. I remeber when I twere lad, you couldn't carry si peeny worth of chips 'ome from shop. I have throughly cleaned evrything and she does stop, also changed fluid, the old stuff was a bit murky. Still I'm papranoid about brakes so will explore the idea of a change.

Master cyl looks like the next port of call... seals renewed etc... a ballache but if your still not getting anything like safe braking...

Although the'yre pretty crap at the best of times to stop unless you go the power wagon route & fit the disc conversion kits ... but for something that struggles to get over 50mph it seems a touch of overkill :dunno:

You have set them up correctly I assume because Dodge brakes

are a bit of a bugger to set up correctly when you had the drum off

was both sides of the slave caliper working and did they pivot ok

these are all the things I've had go wrong with mine

Commander

The brakes have all been set up correctly. Using a feeler gauge seemed an odd thing, till you do it. then its perfectly logical. I changed the fluid as a matter of course, been there 5 years. Retaing pins have no apparent wear on them and cam adjusters are all free. No obvious leacks from any cylinder. Master is a sod to get at, I belive that some plumbing fittings have the same thread, so I'm going hunting for a plastic blank I can modify to fit the pressure bleed on. Hopefully round 3 on Sunday.

Hi Tony,

I say, go the re-alignment route. Just remove the shoes and bring them to a brake shop. I had shoes (8 of them) re-aligned for a very reasonable sum.

Good luck.

BTW I agree with you, I also want my brakes on my 1944 WC51 to be perfect.

As always,

Goran

Sweden

I went to a place called 'Saftek' near me, £10 per shoe. I had to get a Bedford OB ( bus) relined and thought it would be a real drama, not at all, the did them overnight, and the bus passed a PSV test, the relined axle was that good it locked the rollers on the the rolling road on both the service and parking brake test.

So I wouldn't bother with old liners as there are firms out there that will fit better alternatives at really sensible prices.

http://www.saftek.co.uk/index.htm

The problem I had was not leaking cylinders but one of the two pistons of the cylinder sticking on three of the wheels just a thought

Commander

Yes I know what you mean. One thing I did was change all the fluid. I'm in the throws of finding another cap for the master cylinder to attach a pressure bleed. An extension to the cylinder would be an assisit on a Dodge.

Got an OB :-D Friends of mine at Tantivy run one commercially. 5 years ago Terry was ranting he was going to get rid of the thing as it cost so much, now he's looking for more as it she is booked 6 months in advance.

yep once people get to know, then they're simply aren't enough days in the year. Looks like a really nice example, was it bought like that, or did you have to do much work to her?

Hi Phil the restoration bill on the OB was phenomenal. The interior is beautiful, but the old lady does earn her corn.There is only one old chap who drives her, if you go near the driving seat he starts to shake, God help if you touch the steering wheel. One day maybe i'll get the chance to play. :-D

no problem, I notice since last time I visited, they do clutch plates as well.

I live only a few miles away from them, so I would gladly intervene if there were any problems if anyone sent their stuff up by carrier etc.

It's amazing the things you can get done, it's just finding out who does it that takes the time. I tried to get a Bedford brake master cylinder honed out a couple of years ago, but we'd heard that if the place we went to thought it was for the brakes that they would decline, so we said it was a clutch cylinder (naughty I know) They honed it out and it works beautifully, understandably yet frustrating, is the fact that if in doubt most companies just say 'no'.