Centurions from scrapyard

eddy8men

lol i broke the news to the other half after i'd bought them, she was horrified at first thinking i'd blown a £100k again but she was fine once i told her they weren't far off scrap value. she has now inadvertently given me the green light to buy as many tanks as i want as long as they are "bargains" :cool2:

i am now on the lookout for an early cent turret or 120mm gun. i quite like the idea of the qinetiq test bed tank doing the show circuit, i could polish the barrel and breach ring and maybe put some chrome wing mirrors and light bezels on it like the glitzy ferret that comes back up for sale now and again on ebay.

140.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where the chrome Ferret ended up? I havnt heard about it for a while.

lol i broke the news to the other half after i'd bought them, she was horrified at first thinking i'd blown a £100k again but she was fine once i told her they weren't far off scrap value. she has now inadvertently given me the green light to buy as many tanks as i want as long as they are "bargains" :cool2:

i am now on the lookout for an early cent turret or 120mm gun. i quite like the idea of the qinetiq test bed tank doing the show circuit, i could polish the barrel and breach ring and maybe put some chrome wing mirrors and light bezels on it like the glitzy ferret that comes back up for sale now and again on ebay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119062[/ATTACH]

QUOTE]

What better use for £100k!

I will look out for some scrap tanks for you.

Tim

Bloody Hell Rick your a fast mover ...didnt take long to spend the profits from the Cromwell..or was it a case of spend it before the wife does? Keep up the pics and the diary of progress ..you inspire us mere mortals to get on with our meger projects !!! :wow:

Getting a gun to fit the better one and exhibiting it as a test bed would be really interesting. I always think it's a shame that unusual vehicles, often of historic interest, get converted back to conventional ones.

If the ZR registered one, being early (and therefore perhaps historically interesting), turns out to be a reasonable proposition would it be practical to keep the nice one in test bed form and restore the ZR reg one as an early gun tank?

sean i'm coming round to the same conclusion. it would be great to get hold of a 140mm gun to put back on it, the bigger the better :cool2:

it would also make for a very easy resto as the tank runs and drives great, all it needs is a good steam clean and paint inside and i'd be in business. it's not exactly going to further the cause of british ww2 armour but it should be good fun all the same. i'm picking up another tank this month which is prewar and that will be all about our armoured heritage !

it's not exactly going to further the cause of british ww2 armour ... i'm picking up another tank this month which is prewar and that will be all about our armoured heritage !

I'm not sure that matters. Appreciate you can't dilute the focus too much, but Centurion is a massively important tank historically, and there don't seem to be the number around that there were just a few years ago. If we can't justify Cent as part of armoured heritage we're in trouble, post war or not!

you might have a point there, the trouble is i've spent the last 7 years living and breathing ww2 british armour so anything after that doesn't seem very important, which is actually quite refreshing for me.

The cromwell was a rare and important tank and i felt a great responsibility owning it and wanted to do both it and the men that fought in it justice. it was a matter of honour. the cents are a different kettle of fish

I'd love to work on a Cent again. Your Cents look in much better condition than a couple at Duxford, but they'll live again...

sort of know what you mean by not being that bothered by the Cents as much as WWII tanks. Felt the same about my Range Rover until I got stuck in, now it's gotten under my skin!