Chevrolet C60s

HWade

Howard,

Dirk Leegwater has the headlights available NOS, as well as the Rubbolite rear lights as Pete pointed out....also Mirrors and NOS oval shaped plates for the fuel tank. www.lwdparts.com

I think Chris Camps (Ferret) here on HMVF also has the Rubbolite lights available as well as NOS mirrors.

Can I ask if you can take some pictures and maybe some measurements of the "funnels" behind the round vents next to the grille, when you get to disassembling the front? The funnels on my Cab 11 are completely gone and have no idea what it should look like.

Nice, I see you also have the three switches next to the dash cluster; sadly all three missing on mine!

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right Alex it is a 3C1 body very rare indeed I know of only one more and that was in an unrestored state in Belgium.

Such a lovely body! Pete, there was another unrestored one in Norway. If I remember correctly the Belgian as well as the Norwegian one were complete, but I have no idea where they went. There was a third in Holland, but the rear boady was cut down. But.....this truck did retain it's curved rear wheel arches. It was for sale for a while, but I think it never sold and should still be there.

I'd also recommend the maple leaf up forum that's were most of the worlds CMP guys hang out.

Agreed! The 3C1 bodies recently came up on MLU: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23133&page=2

I'm afraid my son beat you to them for his 12 cab C15A bowser
That's another rare truck, Pete!

Alex

Here is an in service photo of another example in service in Tunisia, Sicily or Italy. This photo comes from another of Bill Greggs books. It looks like the tilt hoops have been lowered to their shipping height and are used as grab rails. I can't make out the Div sign on the near side.

CMP C60.jpg

Excellent find and a great project, Howard! You can see it gets the mouths watering of restorers like Pete and Adrian, which is a sign of its uniqueness.

Yours is the 4th survivor with a 3C1 body I know of. One was in Norway (1st pic; now sold, but where to?), one in Holland (2nd pic, incomplete body, also came out of Norway), and a third in Belgium (current status unknown).

image.jpg

image.jpg

WOW, looks like I have a rare vehicle, well Body to restore then, I see in the pictures that there was tool boxes on both sides of the under body was this the case or would it have been just one side. I only have one tool box, but could get another fabricated if required. I will start making enquires about the various parts I need Lights ect, its nice to get them them on the shelf ready. Howard.

The body parts list has 2 of the large tool boxes listed for a 3C1 body part No90055 the pad locks for them are listed Yale 41 part No938.

You do have a rare Vehicle there Howard particularly with the 3C1 body but a C60S with field mod 12 cab kit makes the whole thing very special indeed........ well it does for CMP junkies like Hanno Alex and me :)

Pete,

Such a lovely body! Pete, there was another unrestored one in Norway. If I remember correctly the Belgian as well as the Norwegian one were complete, but I have no idea where they went. There was a third in Holland, but the rear boady was cut down. But.....this truck did retain it's curved rear wheel arches. It was for sale for a while, but I think it never sold and should still be there.

Agreed! The 3C1 bodies recently came up on MLU: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23133&page=2

That's another rare truck, Pete!

Alex

I've not heard of Eric Delacom for years, I tried to buy the C60 off him at one time but we couldn't agree a price unfortunately so I have no idea as to whereabouts of the Belgium one.

Pete

Here's four photos that I provided for some one else to show what the early production 12 cab dash looks like.

I labeled the photos for clarity but from the factory there is no additional labeling other than the the small screen printed tags on the toggle switches (note the service/blackout plate is missing on the photo). Having said that I have seen one or two 11 and 12 cab trucks that were British issue that had hand written labeling like yours appears to have Howard. The single knob marked 'hood' operates the baffle in the air vent (one each side of the cab) on late 11 and all 12 cabs these knobs came from the pre war civilian car/truck parts

CIMG1106.JPG

CIMG1107.JPG

CIMG1108.JPG

DASH.jpg

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

Thanks for those pictures, now I finally know what the holes in mine are for. Its interesting to see that it has a switch for the axle light and one for service/black out. Is the black out a headlight?

On both my CGT's there is a dip Switch mounted on the side of the chassis which cut the rear lights and turns on the axel light, how is this to interact with the axle light switch.

Hi I ve just ordered a heap of parts off Dirk, better to get them now than wait, knowing my luck he would sell out. I found a rebuild plate on the engine and this was dated 1946. A nice plate to are try to take a pic. Are also see what the stencils say, even has the faded number on the door see if I can get a pic. Howard

Had a rummage among the CMP tanks I have and have found two early short neck tanks the bad news is neither are particularly wonderful one still has the cast top plate and reserve tap and the other tank has the top plate removed, I thought I had a top plate somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. If your'e been on Dirks site you will have seen he has top plates as NoS.

I would be very interested in the service number off the door if you can post a photo it may help to provide contract data.

Pete

Thanks for those pictures, now I finally know what the holes in mine are for. Its interesting to see that it has a switch for the axle light and one for service/black out. Is the black out a headlight?

On both my CGT's there is a dip Switch mounted on the side of the chassis which cut the rear lights and turns on the axel light, how is this to interact with the axle light switch.

Niels here is the wiring diagram for all 12 cab Chevrolet's it should help to make things clear

Wiring  CAB 12 P3.jpg

Pete

Hello Pete I would have the tank with the cast top, this would be good to use to make a new tank or patch it up, could you send by a courier just let me know the cost and are do a bank transfer. are pm my details later. perhaps you can pm your info. Well my helper managed to get more done on the truck, most of the front is now unbolted and off took a bit of time, going to be fun getting it back together without scratching the paint work, some bolts came undone fine other went under the cutter. The water pump will need rebuilding.I managed to take some pics of the stencils in the cab. heres a few more pics of work carried out today. Howard

chevrolet c60s 04 002.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 003.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 005.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 010.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 029.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 017.JPG

chevrolet c60s 04 022.JPG

Hello Pete I would have the tank with the cast top, this would be good to use to make a new tank or patch it up, could you send by a courier just let me know the cost and are do a bank transfer. are pm my details later. perhaps you can pm your info. Well my helper managed to get more done on the truck, most of the front is now unbolted and off took a bit of time, going to be fun getting it back together without scratching the paint work, some bolts came undone fine other went under the cutter. The water pump will need rebuilding.I managed to take some pics of the stencils in the cab. heres a few more pics of work carried out today. Howard

Ok Howard I'll dig the tank out of the barn let me have your e-mail by PM and I can send you a couple of pictures so you can see the condition.

The fan on your engine is the very early type pre what are known as North African Mods, I'll post a picture on here in the morning of the modified fan type. This for me is what makes 11 and 12 cab CMP's interesting they were rushed through the development phase to help fill the gap in transport created by the losses incurred by the BEF in France. As a result you can see almost month on month developments and modifications in the design as a result of in service feed back.

Pete

I've not heard of Eric Delacom for years, I tried to buy the C60 off him at one time but we couldn't agree a price unfortunately so I have no idea as to whereabouts of the Belgium one.

Pete, same here; I seem to remember Eric (Delcommenne?) had a CMP website at the time as well. I did see his name a few years ago on the vendor list for Wings and Wheels in Ursel, Belgium.

Howard; it really looks like you have a very complete truck in nice condition; well done!

Thanks for the picture showing the air intakes next to the grille

Alex

Hi Howard,

That number is not the original one, it comes from a batch (7 figure numbers all starting 17.....) put aside for rebuilt vehicles.

do you think the truck would be renumbered in 1946 at the same time the engine was overhauled Richard ? any idea where AAW B256 was located ?

Pete

do you think the truck would be renumbered in 1946 at the same time the engine was overhauled Richard ? any idea where AAW B256 was located ?

Pete

Pete,

It is possible. The way I understand it is that vehicles that went through a rebuild programme would have lost their identity once stripped down and there for a new census number was issued. Quite possible that nothing other than the chassis came from original lorry. I suppose it might depend on how many of this type of vehicle were being rebuilt at that particular time. As for when, it could be around the same time as the engine rebuild date, unless that was replaced at a later date. The AAW numbers, apart from the odd one I have never been able to find a list of and have been asking for over 20 years. The REME museum was unable to answer, I think the National Archives might be a possibility, it would come under the Ministry of Supply I would think.

regards, Richard

Richard, there is another rebuild plate the whole truck was rebuilt back in 1941. Howard

Hi Howard,

That would make more sense as the L17***** series of numbers for rebuilds is an early 1940's group, there were other groups throughout the Census number range. Is there a workshop number or code?

Richard