Chevrolet C60s

HWade

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you have a later pattern engine there Howard I can see PVC kit on the inlet manifold and an oil bath inlet filter on the rocker cover.

The early engines contemporary with the truck would just have a down draft tube from the crank case and two slits in the rocker cover as inlets. Interestingly there was a field instruction to hammer the slits shut as it was found that in dusty conditions ie in the desert engines were suffering from excessive top end ware as a result of grit ingress. I have actually come across several early rocker covers where this mod has been carried out.

Pete

Hello Pete, Mmm does that mean the truck has had the later engine fitted at a later date or would it have come out of the factory with it. Interesting about the slits on the rocker cover, cant beat hitting something with a Hammer.Howard

Hello Pete, Mmm does that mean the truck has had the later engine fitted at a later date or would it have come out of the factory with it. Interesting about the slits on the rocker cover, cant beat hitting something with a Hammer.Howard

Hi Howard,

As the engine has a Ministry of Supply rebuild plate on it, then it is unlikely to be the original engine. Faulty engines were removed and complete new or reconditioned assemblies fitted, old engine returned to Ordnance depot and on for rebuild, and the circle continues.

regards, Richard

it's a post factory replacement unit as your truck came off the line some time between July 1940 and December 1940 without a frame number it's not possible to be more accurate. PCV on Canadian 216 units does not appear until some time after mid 1942 (I'll have a look and see if I can give you a better date on that). If you can find the stamped engine number it may help to decide the year of the block at least.

Pete

The August 1942 parts list includes both the old slotted rocker cover listed as ''1st jobs'' and a filtered inlet for the new sealed cover listed as ''after jobs'' there has been a lot of discussion about the term ''after jobs'' and Iv'e not seen a full explanation of the term the nearest I think any one has come to explaining it is a modified or substituted part.

So by August 1942 PCV systems were being supplied from the factory and retro fitted as required to earlier manufactured units, the guys on MLU will probably be able to give chapter and verse on this subject.

Pete

Well we are almost down to just a rolling chassis, just the handbrake cable to come off and we are there.The transfer box and rear prop came off yesterday as did the brake pipes. I have then got to split the chassis from the springs and the chassis will be ready for blasting.More pics to follow. Howard

Well I have managed to get the c60s done to just a chassis, just the steering box to come off. The pins that hold the spring hangers and springs actually came out very very easily, I had expected them to dried out and warn, but the owner had kept it well greased. Hoping all being well to get it blasted and painted next week. Will just have to see as I have other jobs on the go. Got to try and keep every body happy. Howard

chevrolet c60s and scraper 004.JPG

chevrolet c60s and scraper 006.JPG

chevrolet c60s and scraper 007.JPG

chevrolet c60s and scraper 008.JPG

chevrolet c60s and scraper 010.jpg

Well more work carried out to the C60s the chassis has now been sprayed in drab. And it is now back in the workshop. The two axles have also been blasted, primed and top coated. The axles are also now back attached to the chassis and sitting on axle stands. I have removed the front hubs and also the back plates. The brake cylinders are in a bit of a state but that was to be expected. The brake shoes are stamped ford. I will be getting all 4 pairs relined. I would like to try and get hold of some new wheel cylinders, rather than go down the lining route with past parts, but I may well have to do that.

chevrolet c6s 004.JPG

chevrolet c6s 005.JPG

Hi

New brake cylinders are avaliable, but my experience is that they have a 5-7 year life before they pit. I gone to sleeving on my three CMPs and now going on 30 years with just cup replacements. Cylinders on C60 series are FORD drove me crazy trying to find them when I was looking for them.

Just did a brake job on my C60S that sleeved I restored the truck in 1990 just replaced all the rubber parts cubs, boots, and hoses everything available from regular auto parts sources in the US.

Have really enjoyed watching and reading your progress on your C60S.

Cheers Phil

Hi Howard

I've used DOT 3 since the start with all the trucks. Company that has done all 12 wheel cylinders and 3 master cylinders recommended it. In fact would not warrantee cylinders that had used silicone, they explained that they had had problems with it leaking between sleeve and the cylinder, but that was a lot of years ago. May no longer be a problem.

Other big concern with DOT 3 is moisture but my trucks stay in dry indoor storage when not on the road so there never been any evidenced of water in the system.

Cheers Phil

• 1 month later...

Thought I better update the build. Well all brake parts have been sent off, and are now ready for collection, I also had the shoes relined at the same time. I have also managed to source all of the seals that i required, so just waiting for these to arrive. I have been through the engine, fitted a new head gasket. put back together and it has been cleaned and painted. Ive also made new H/T leads for her, also new points ect. Still not decided weather to stay 6 volt or while I am at this stage to up grade to 12 volts, I will talk to the owner and let them decide on that one. Various metal work has been blasted and painted.The main floor panel has also been blasted and primed and top coated. Most of the rotten metal has been removed from the body. Next stage will be to blast the body and prime then get it in the work shop for the new metal work to be added.Well heres a few pics. Howard.

chevrolet 022.JPG

chevrolet 023.JPG

chevrolet 017.JPG

tracks 004.JPG

Edited by HWade

• 2 weeks later...

Well most of the seals that i need are now in at the supplier, so are be off to collect them in the morning. The engine is now back in the chassis. The water pump has also been rebuilt and back on the engine. I have also got the cab frame blasted and painted, plus lots of other bits.

Cab 003.JPG

Cab 008.JPG

Cab 009.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well the engine and gear box are now back in the chassis. Some of the oil seals have turned up so, I can also look at getting the front axles together. I have also managed to get more metal work blasted and painted. Since this pic I have got the transfer box installed and also lots of the linkages, the handbrake is also in, as well as the front axles back together. Need to make some paper gaskets before I fit the four back plates to the hubs. Are post a more up to date pic soon. Howard

357.JPG

Edited by HWade

Well gaskets made for the back of the back plates and they are now installed and bolted up. The transfer box and linkages are also in. I have also fitted the fuel tank brackets and also the brackets that the cab frame bolt to is also installed. heres a few pics.

chevrolet resto 016.JPG

chevrolet resto 011.JPG

chevrolet resto 017.JPG

chevrolet resto 013.JPG

Hello Pete,

Yes I shall be I spotted an area yesterday where there should be some, just got to source a supplier are probably try walker rubber, just got to find a piece of a good example. I have also got to find some heat shield instead of the asbestos. there be a few staple holes from the asbestos but cant be off that. I could do with that fuel tank soon. if you dont mind boxing her up and are get it collected. Howard.