Guernsey liberation tour 2015

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all know it stops off at the best place first to drop off the cream of the crop, then it goes on to deposit the left-overs on that other island we don't like to mention.:D

So I'll be the one at Les Landes throwing carrots in your direction! :D Pity we couldn't meet half way, but it be a right ***** keeping water out of the ignition! Just while we are jocking, lets remember that the Liberation was from five years of armed occupation. In the winter of 1944/45 both Island's civillian population was starving. Only the intervation of the International Red Cross, with the ship SS Vega, also the seventyth anniversary, saved many lives. Also British civillians from the Island's died in Concentration canps. Mash and I will argue tooth and nail, that's only proper! :D But the Commerations mean a lot to many people in the Islands, and keep it alive for the youngsters.

Save0159.jpg

As Tony pointed out this is very important to us locals, as a person who had family members evacuated, living on the island and also my pop was sent to Biberach concentration camp, this was down to the Germans deciding he was 'mad' he was running the projection room at the cinema and on Hitlers birthday he decided to give him a present in the form of a huge V for victory sign laid out on the roof with Union jacks.

It is very important to keep the history of our islands alive and also to remember the hardship and suffering so many islanders suffered.

Just got my paperwork through from Paul Bourgaize, all looks good.

I was surprised to see we have to apply for a OGEL licence to take a vehicle over to the Channel Islands !

Anyway I set about registering on the www.spire.bis.gov.uk web site today.........what a mine field !

Not sure I have got it right, but I now have a licence number. For a type EU GEA 004 temporary export for exhibition or fair.

Is that all I need ? I thought they would need details of the vehicle ?

I'm going to phone them up tomorrow, but thought I'd ask on here..........

Jules

Help !! I've registered & got on the site but its a mine field, where do you find an OGEL ?

Anyone got a timetable of events?

Working fulltime now means I'm not as flexible as I once was and so weekends are my only option. Thinking of trying to get across somehow, flying in (sounds more glamorous then it is) from Birmingham for the weekend of 9/10 May is an option but then need to get to Guernsey.

Any extra information greatly received.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Condor are currently running a 10% discount offer if you book by the end of the month, this is for Guernsey and that other island we shall not mention ;).

I have also come across this site and I know a few of the people taking part myself included:

http://www.historicaltours.eu/2015/kit.html

I am unsure if they have met the numbers required so spaces may still be avalible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Be aware Condor are keeping up their usual low standards. I have just got a text from them changing the sailing time of the ferrys on return to Portsmouth. Thank God Jersey Tourism chose a Flying Bannana! Check ferry times before you leave, especially if you take the fast ferry from Poole. Mind you, if the Donkeys didn't keep bashing the new boat about! :-D