Guernsey liberation tour 2015

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be, I have been issued a Morris C8 for the parade, my mate will also be dragging his quad out the shed, SWMBO has something lined up but she won't tell me yet :undecided: and I am trusting my WOLF to my dad. It will be awesome to meet some people and put names to faces, I shall be the one in Force 135 REME kit.

There always seems to be a jealous crapaud about eh :D

Ah yes Mon V! :D Though also the 70 anniversary of the Vega as well. I have two boxes off her that were issued to Carol's Grandparents. Ricky in the 'Proper Island' has managed to get 20% discount of Condor so worth asking for that when booking.

Ah yes Mon V! :D Though also the 70 anniversary of the Vega as well. I have two boxes off her that were issued to Carol's Grandparents. Ricky in the 'Proper Island' has managed to get 20% discount of Condor so worth asking for that when booking.

Cheers for the heads up Tony, I doubt they will let me have it as I have a frequent traveler discount too. Ref your pics all look so good until I saw the final one, as for the "proper island" all I shall say is this:

image.jpg

Ah my boy! But do you know why we have three leopards as opposed to our Norman Forefathers two?:D I'll set my slugs on your carrots. Though I hate to say it, I do need to get a Gurnersey flag. The Western front commemerations over the next few years, and do always take both flags.

Edited by Tony B

Ah my boy! But do you know why we have three leopards as opposed to our Norman Forefathers two?:D I'll set my slugs on your carrots. Though I hate to say it, I do need to get a Gurnersey flag. The Western front commemerations over the next few years, and do always take both flags.

Is is it not to identify us from other arms?

You leave my carrots alone! I need them for the bean jar.

I respect you for honoring our fallen like that Tony, I am myself involved in portraying the history of the men that fought in the RGLI.

No it's when Henry II married Elanor of Aquitaine in 1151after the anullment of her marriage to King Louis IV of France, her coat of arms had one Leopard (Or Lion, there reffered to as both) Henry added the Leopard to his coat of arms to get one over the French. As for the Great War, Jersey never had a 'Pals' battalion as such. The one large group recruited became known as Ours, and were attached originally to the 7th Royal Irish Rifles, then the Hampshire regiment. So there was the never mass losses as at Cambri and Lys. Though the prison camp at St Quen's did house officers who would later serve in the Occupation forces of both Islands.

No it's when Henry II married Elanor of Aquitaine in 1151after the anullment of her marriage to King Louis IV of France, her coat of arms had one Leopard (Or Lion, there reffered to as both) Henry added the Leopard to his coat of arms to get one over the French. As for the Great War, Jersey never had a 'Pals' battalion as such. The one large group recruited became known as Ours, and were attached originally to the 7th Royal Irish Rifles, then the Hampshire regiment. So there was the never mass losses as at Cambri and Lys. Though the prison camp at St Quen's did house officers who would later serve in the Occupation forces of both Islands.

Cherrs Tony always a school day :D, we had many people join up with different regiments and also some with the Royal Irish however as I'm only starting to gain knowledge on the subject I can't say which. We even had blokes join up with the French army.

Now I think we have taken over this thread as we have done before, I hope to meet you one day.

So back to the thread who's coming?

Just got my paperwork through from Paul Bourgaize, all looks good.

I was surprised to see we have to apply for a OGEL licence to take a vehicle over to the Channel Islands !

Anyway I set about registering on the http://www.spire.bis.gov.uk web site today.........what a mine field !

Not sure I have got it right, but I now have a licence number. For a type EU GEA 004 temporary export for exhibition or fair.

Is that all I need ? I thought they would need details of the vehicle ?

I'm going to phone them up tomorrow, but thought I'd ask on here..........

Jules

Hi all so we are not going to be on our own then, couple of things i need some help with ,thought maybe it would be good idea to have some temporary vehicle markings made up for the parades and whilst on the island ,what would the vehicle markings for force 135 have been .Jules any chance of an update on your OGEL application i had a quick look on the recommended web site what a mine field i think i am going to need some help to get this right

Nicky

See earlier in the thread for markings. Force 135 had the seal of the Islands, a red sheild with three golden Leapords/ Lions (They ar edescribed as bothe) and a sheild with blue back ground and six red Orbs (Being carful of nomaclature ) Used as the main infantary force of Force 135 were retrained costal gunnery personnel , nicknamed Gunfintrey. Ask Tony at Axholme, he can do some nice copies that you can put on magnetic paer.

Picture 171.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Hi all so we are not going to be on our own then, couple of things i need some help with ,thought maybe it would be good idea to have some temporary vehicle markings made up for the parades and whilst on the island ,what would the vehicle markings for force 135 have been .Jules any chance of an update on your OGEL application i had a quick look on the recommended web site what a mine field i think i am going to need some help to get this right

Nicky

My favorite crapaud (Jersey local) did say he will post some pics of force 135 signage for people to print, sure he will be along soon.

see he's good beat me to it