Registering a CVRT Sabre

Two months ago I took all the documents to my local DVLA office to try and register my Sabre. I have previously registered an Abbot and, three years ago, a CVRT Striker with no problems.....

...however our local office (Worcester) is due to close this month and no longer deal with first registrations.... they checked all my documents and kindly forwarded them on to DVLA Swansea.

To cut a long story short... two months on and vehicle not yet registered....

Today, after much chasing, I received this email....

Hi Mr Donovan

I’ve spoken with our Business Integration Team and they have advised that now the applications have been centralised, we must ensure that the vehicles are being correctly registered and this is why they are seeking advice with regards to the Construction and Use Regulations. They are chasing the matter with our Policy Section, so I should have more information for you shortly.

The question is are CVRTs fully compliant with C & U regs ???

Paul

Given the large number (dozens at least !) of cvrt's already registered I can't see why you should have a problem. In centralising the process they've probably just recruited a whole load of new people who've never come across this before so are taking some time to work it out. Thats efficiency for you!

Let us know how you get on. I have a few to register at some point.

Cheers

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Will be watching this thread with baited breath! I need to register my Spartan soon..

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

James

PS Did you have a commanders seat on eBay a few days ago? I meant to bid, but couldn't get to a computer in time.

Edited by Sidewinder

Will be watching this thread with baited breath! I need to register my Spartan soon..

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

James

PS Did you have a commanders seat on eBay a few days ago? I meant to bid, but couldn't get to a computer in time.

James....

Yes commanders seat is still available. £35 plus £8.50 shipping. If you want to pay by Paypal then send funds to paul@pddp.biz and I will dispatch it ASAP !!

Cheers Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, what tax class did they put it in? Of the 2 I've registered, the Spartan came back as PLG while the Striker was Private HGV (which was £20 cheaper to tax!). I will have to register our Scorpion (one day, a long time off) so am wondering what that will end up as...

Vince

Out of interest, what tax class did they put it in? Of the 2 I've registered, the Spartan came back as PLG while the Striker was Private HGV (which was £20 cheaper to tax!). I will have to register our Scorpion (one day, a long time off) so am wondering what that will end up as...

Vince

Private/Light Goods (PLG) Vehicles registered before the 1.3.01: Private motor cars; goods vehicles not more than 3,500kg revenue weight; vehicles used for “private”

(non-trade or business) purposes (including 3 wheeled vehicles over 450kg unladen). Vehicles registered on or after 1.3.01: vehicles that do not come into the scope of the first six tax classes, listed below.

Private/HGV Goods vehicles, with a revenue weight in excess of 3,500kg, used

privately.

Tax Classes.pdf

Thought I should update this thread......

...Good news.

..... V5 Registration Document and a Tax Disc dropped through my letterbox last Saturday.... (21st Dec) !!!

Sabre now registered..... UOA 581L

It would be highly appropriate if any of the documentation lists a UIN A0124A, since that would make it at some point a 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars vehicle and 21 December is the anniversary of the battle of Sahagun, where 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars) alone charged and destroyed a French cavalry brigade just prior to the start of the retreat to Corunna.

Since 15/19H are now The Light Dragoons, post 1992 the UIN would need to be that of The Light Dragoons (for whom Sahagun remains the primary battle honour). Sadly after my time and I have no idea.

I am aware this forum is 'watched', and I hope I don't stir things up for anyone, but doesn't the fact that it appears to be 'Pot Luck' what taxation class a vehicle is registered as, just go to show major inconsistencies in the system.

From the DVLA link:-

"Private/Light Goods Class (PLG)This class mainly covers private cars and light goods vehicles (not over 3,500kg revenue weight) that do not fall under the Graduated VED Schemes. However, any vehicle which does not fall within the other classes, described in this booklet falls within the “PLG” class for duty purposes. Within the PLG tax class, there are 2 vehicle tax bands:

Vehicles with an engine size up to and including 1549cc pay a reduced rate, whilst vehicles with an engine size of 1550cc and over pay a standard rate of duty."

Neither a Spartan, Nor a Striker is, or ever was, a Goods vehicle, and last time I looked, both were Over 3.5t !

I think what we need is an "Ex - Military Vehicle" registration class, obviously broken down to cover whatever the current cut - off date is for Historic Vehicle status for older vehicles, and VED bands by weight, perhaps?

As civilian owned Ex - Millitary Vehicles used on the highway don't generally clock up high mileages, I think any exemption from C + U Regs. enjoyed whilst in Crown service, should continue when in civilian ownership.

If our 'Agency friends' prevent registration of vehicles like DROPS and Striker/Stormer (If there are any left!) then values will fall and they will be nearly unsellable. Less 'return' to the MoD - our Lincolnshire friends will buy them for less!

Just my 'New Year musings' - Any comments?

'Chas.'

<snipped>I

I think what we need is an "Ex - Military Vehicle" registration class, obviously broken down to cover whatever the current cut - off date is for Historic Vehicle status for older vehicles, and VED bands by weight, perhaps?

As civilian owned Ex - Millitary Vehicles used on the highway don't generally clock up high mileages, I think any exemption from C + U Regs. enjoyed whilst in Crown service, should continue when in civilian ownership.

If our 'Agency friends' prevent registration of vehicles like DROPS and Striker/Stormer (If there are any left!) then values will fall and they will be nearly unsellable. Less 'return' to the MoD - our Lincolnshire friends will buy them for less!

Just my 'New Year musings' - Any comments?

'Chas.'</snipped>

That is a logical common sense idea - neither attribute is usually considered applicable to the ministry in question - and that's before the EU get involved!! :D:D:D