Normandy 2014

GPW Rookie

Just a " heads up" to say that anyone who is thinking of going to Normandy next year needs to start getting booked up NOW! The ferry companies have released next year's sailings and they are starting to go like the proverbial hot cakes! I know it seems like a long way off but as it's the 70th anniversary they'll be an awful lot of extra people going. We've already booked our ferries and campsites and even then we couldn't get exactly what we wanted re sailing times. Now that's done all I've got to do is break the news to she who must be obeyed, looks like a winter of decorating for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe its going to be the 70th Anniversary as I was there on the 35th which makes me feel old! I had a great time especially as I was with D-Day veterans. I remember one time we visited a house that these soldiers had stripped of everything useful for their trenches dug in the garden. They were told no retreat under any circumstances so they dug in as best they could and to make life easier took all the mattresses from the house to put in the trench, then all the doors to make a roof with earth on top and of course all the food and drink. Well you never guess that the house was still owned by the same family! And rather than complain about the state the house was left in in 1944 they came and gave the old soldiers a hug! Despite the building work after he war there was still bomb damage still visible and it was the veterans who pointed out that many of the trees had no tops as these had been blown off by shelling.

Edited by LarryH57

Accomodation and fery booked from Portsmouth to Caen

Taking the Austin K2 GS lorry and some of my 4th Dorsets re-enactment pals.

Staying at Tracey-Sur-Mer.

Does anyone know if we will be able to get into Arromanche on the day with the lorry?

Colin

I've just spoken to a non-MV owning friend who's had a great deal of difficulty in booking accomodation for the D-Day commemorations, he was told by several hotel owners that a lot of the rooms have had to be kept back for visiting dignitaries and their staff. He was also told the event could well be bigger that the recent G20 Conference! So once again if you're thinking of going to France for D-Day the time to act is now!

At least I dont need to worry about booking a ferry as I live in France:D, but its still a 5 hour drive up there as im between Poitiers and Limoges:undecided:.

I anyone wants to drive down as far as the Vienne 86 I will offer our Gites or camping and loads of parking. cheap to HMVF if you want to visit and we are 35 minutes north of Oradour sur Glane amongst other places worth a visit in the region.:)

http://gitelespins.webs.com/

Ferry booked today for the Jeep and Norton :D we are going to be there ! :clap: :banana: am I looking forward to that Oooooh yes, though my visit will include laying a wreath on behalf of my family for my great uncle Len who was killed near Ranville on the 6th June aged 24, LEST WE FORGET.

We have two Jeeps and a Bedford MW in our gang, hopefully one or two others joining. We're travelling down the day before and staying overnight in the Hilton Portsmouth, secure overnight parking, and a last taste of civilisation before a weeks camping. It'll also give me a chance to get over the Jeep ar*e I'll be suffering from after the journey from Essex! :nut:

• 1 month later...

Am intending going to Normandy next year with a vehicle for the first time. If I wanted to join a convoy could I? Or how do I go about finding out who to ask or what's on? Have looked on a variety of sites but is there an official site that has all the info on it?

Am intending going to Normandy next year with a vehicle for the first time. If I wanted to join a convoy could I? Or how do I go about finding out who to ask or what's on? Have looked on a variety of sites but is there an official site that has all the info on it?

take a look on the wd motorcycle forum ,there is a list of events around the beaches for the weeks preceding and after d day and also many events are listed on milweb

Nigel

Just as a heads up, some, not all can be a bit touchy about tagging onto their convoy. The MVT springs to mind if you have NOT booked in with them or paid them.