Loyd Carrier

Radek, Loyds used the same road wheels as Universal Carriers, there are some variations as the British were struggling for production capacity and for a period fabricated wheels with holes were used, however they had 6 holes not the 4 as seen in your Maultier units. I'd be interested in getting those track return rollers with pins from you, have you anything you need for your project? Perhaps we could do a swap.

In my Loyd parts book TL14061 is listed as an option for the track return roller, or according to the book 'guide roller'. TL14762, TL14762/1 and TL14762/2 are also listed without diagrams, these could be solid rollers or the early rubber tyre with steel wheel drilled for weight or material saving. There is also TL709SA listed in an early war manual, who knows what that looks like!

Road wheel options include TL94, TL14702/1, TL14702/2, TL14722/1 and TL14722/2. TL94 is the well known carrier road wheel, I have some of these for my project as well as some TL14702.

These are TL94 and TL14702 wheels in my garage.

image.jpg

Edited by ajmac

hello,

it would be a shame to put Maultier wheels on a Bren or Loyd carrier. Radek, I'm sure that you could easily exchange your maultier wheels for Bren carrier wheels !! There are probably some Maultier restoration projects that need some wheels.

P-O

You miss understand P-O we were discussing the small wheels with the TL markings shown in Radeks photos, these are from carriers. I am sure Radek will have his arm snapped off for the Maultier wheels if he offers the to the right collector, perhaps ASPHM?

Edited by ajmac

Alastair and Radek,

I understood you were discussing about the small support rollers, but I felt right to say that somebody may be interested in the Maultier wheels. Look at these restoration projects :

http://www.collectionneur.me/categorie-10316764.html

4-eme-dossier-photos-0674.JPG

S6002828.jpg

I think that it could be the right guy !

P-O

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like your coming along Alastair ! You should make a large molasses bath and drop your rusty bits in.... It is way way way cheaper than any other method, and is very effective.

your bullet ridden diff housing should not be discounted as usable unless the bearing retainers etc are smashed..... It's cast and will weld ;)

4k for new track is very very very cheap indeed, where did you get the quote ? I was quoted 10k + for carrier track to be cast and machined. Not to mention the pattern and tool setup costs which were about the same price again.

glad to see you cracking on with it

Richie

• 3 weeks later...

Some months ago I mentioned (I think it was on this thread but can't find my post) about converting tanks and bren carriers to cut boxthorn hedges in New Zealand in the 1960s. My description of watching them work when I was a boy seemed to trigger quite a response from the forum. At that time I was disappointed that I couldn't find any photos, but now I have found two quite good ones (attached). I think the tank is either a Valentine or a Stuart but someone else here will know for sure. You can imagine the impressive noise as it charged headlong into a huge boxthorn hedge! And Bren carriers were also used to sweep up the hedge-trimmings but unfortunately I cannot find a photo of a carrier. Moderator please feel free to transfer this post elsewhere if appropriate.

Tank hegecutter (1RRJPG).jpg

Tank hedgecutter (2RRJPG).jpg

It's a Stuart but it's using a Valentine engine to power the cutter.

That sums up why I absolutely love this forum. Whatever the question, however obscure the topic, if it is MV related then somebody on this forum will know the answer. Maximum respect, chaps. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, to anyone who follows the sedate progress of my Loyd rebuild you can rest assured that it will take even longer as we are moving house and I have changed jobs so Loyd progress has stopped. Expect an update in September, sorry:blush: Its going to be busy until then, house move, Germany, offshore Holland, National Grid...the list goes on, at least the money will go to fund the next stage of the project...and with the new larger house and workshop the Loyd can be worked on from home rather than the farm. Oh....the mrs is looking for another little Alastair once we move house so even LESS time for my hobby. Soldier on I guess :-D

• 1 month later...

There hasn't been an update for a while; were it not for completing my side of a parts swap today there would have been nothing to report. A local Carrier enthusiast who is restoring a Universal MK1* was collecting his axles which were spare to the Loyd project and noticed the Loyd rear axle on the floor of the workshop, sectioned where I had left it. Pete asked if he could take the axle back to his workshop at lunch time today to try a shift the stuck track tensioner and stub shaft carrier..... I was sent these photos this afternoon.... Thanks Pete! It took a 20 tonne press and some serious 3 phase stick welding to ensure it wasn't a danger when loading with the jack. Don't attempt this if you have any worry about the strength of the weld.

14028781378_1acfa0a850_c.jpg

14215262134_6ffe8bff57_c.jpg

14192285626_7efb9bcc21_c.jpg

Above: The end of the rear axle tube, note the lug which acts as a stop for the rear drum carrier when tensioning the track.

We move house in July and following Clive Hughes recommendation there is plenty of space to continue the Loyd rebuild at home :-)

Edited by ajmac

• 3 weeks later...

They have been around Europe since WW2 but these British Carrier bogie track return rollers are back in England now. Thanks to a parts swap with Radek in the Czech Republic.

14344281011_0020a5f8b7_b.jpg

In the back of the Land Rover today...just need to find one more to complete the set, if I can't find another then one of my NOS Canadian ones will have to do.

Edited by ajmac

Im new to this.

Just thought I would mention that I have for sale, a British made 1941 mostly complete for restoration, Mortar Carrier. Please inbox me if interested.

Cheers

Mark.........

any pictures for the for sale thread. I'd never heard of these befire and now there is a few floating around