Loyd Carrier

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/31/2011 at 8:19 PM, eddy8men said:

carriers could still be useful for many tasks after the war ended, there was a major morrell of the reme who settled in yorkshire after the war and ran a garage, when the surplus carriers came up for disposal he bought a 1000 with the intention of stripping them and selling the parts but he also used a few on other tasks like the salvage of 3000 tons of iron ore from a ship wreck that was only accessable at high tide. it just goes to show how versitile these little machines were.

if the name major morrell rings a bell with some of you it's because he's the same fella that designed the churchill na75.

rick

I have been reading through this thread of a great restoration  and came across this post.

My father was involved in this  salvage operation at Redcar  and the photo below is of the two ' carriers'  used .

He is the chap  seated in carrier on far right  . His brother is perched on top of the carrier. All the men were Redcar fishermen.

Major Morrell is stood in the middle , I have a lot more info on  operation this if  of any interest.

I would be interested to know exactly what type  carriers they were.

Craig

Dad on the Gare 001 (2).jpg

Dad Carriers001 (2).jpg

Edited by XS650
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, XS650 said:

I have been reading through this thread of a great restoration  and came across this post.

My father was involved in this  salvage operation at Redcar  and the photo below is of the two ' carriers'  used .

He is the chap  seated in carrier on far right  . His brother is perched on top of the carrier. All the men were Redcar fishermen.

Major Morrell is stood in the middle , I have a lot more info on  operation this if  of any interest.

I would be interested to know exactly what type  carriers they were.

Craig

Dad on the Gare 001 (2).jpg

Dad Carriers001 (2).jpg

The one closest the camera is a USA T16 and the other is probably a normal Universal Carrier.  Thanks for posting, more info would be nice.

Well here is the story -

On the 28th October 1955 at 3.20am the good ship Karmas was due to enter the  river Tees with a cargo of high grade Swedish iron ore. In the second picture above the Tees is on the other side of the lighthouse and breakwater.

Somehow the Karmas in fine weather managed to pass to the left of the lighthouse instead of the right and ran aground on a 'beach'. This 'beach' was made up of hard boulders of slag from the local  steelworks and is very difficult to traverse by any means.

To refloat the ship  around 3000 tons of  iron ore was jettisoned over the side and she was towed off by tugs.

Major Percy H Morrell  REME  a garage owner from Leeds  (who had been awarded an MBE  for creating the Churchill tank fitted with 75mm gun from Shermans in his 'wrecking ' yard during the North African campaign and after the war had bought 1000 carriers to scrap.) went into partnership with a salvage engineer from Leeds Bert Bowers  to 'have a crack' at recovering the cargo.

He had already scrapped most of the carriers  but had kept a few of the good ones and decided to try to  use two of them  to recover the cargo. They were stripped down and fitted with a flat back.

Five fishermen were employed as well as a full time fitter on the job.

At low tide  iron ore which was extremely heavy  ( one galvanised bucket full was all a man could lift ) was loaded by hand onto the back of the carriers which could carry around two ton. This was then dumped next to the breakwater and  picked up by lorry and took to the steelworks. This must have been very hard work and as fishermen could earn a good living back then they were either well paid or it was mid winter .

My uncle said the carriers often broke tracks around the drive sprockets on the slag beach but no doubt Mr Morrell had plenty of spares!

Whether Percy Morrell made any money is not recorded.  He said .'' well it worked and they  ( the  carriers) stood up to the job exceptionally well''.

The good ship Karmas carried on for another 25 years not being scrapped until 1980.

Craig

Edited by XS650
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

That Loyd was found in France back in 2012, it was moved to England around that time and sat in a collection near Portsmouth, this year to was brought by a friend of mine and transported to his workshop for restoration.

I have some parts from it in my garage at the moment!

Edited by ajmac

• 1 year later...