colour of WW2 RAF jeep?

tim3343

Hi,

I'm currently converting my willys jeep into an RAF jeep from WW2 and would like your advise on what colour I'd best paint it.

After researching here and other places on the web, this is what I've come up with: the RAF blue I liked a lot is out of the question. Not because it wouldn't be possible (it was the pre war colour and there would have been some around during the war in that colour) but simply because there weren't any willys jeep around at that time.

So, as I don't want to go for a green/olive drab jeep, I think my options are limited to the '42 and '43 versions, being or khaki green with dark grey disruptive patern (haven't found a picture of that) or khaki brown with black disruptive partern (see picture below).

However, I've found a few pictures of colours on RAF WW2 vehicles that like somewhat but can't place in time.

So, my questions to you all:

What would be a correct colour for my vehicle and can you tell me if the two last pictures are an option as well and if yes, from they date?

I'd appreciate your help!

tilly.jpg

RAF brown balc Tilly.jpg

2000%20BELTERING.jpg

refueller.jpg

Hi Tim,

Going by British army regualtions at the time, it is unlikely that any Jeeps recieved into service, would have been automatically painted ib British colours. What did happen was that in some theatres, a camo pattern was overlaid on the US Olive Drab. But there again the RAF had their own ways, so photographic evidence is best.

Tim, Good Question!

I sent months researching my 1943 RAF WOT2 Radar Truck, and concencus of opinion was to be the Late 1942 period colours of

Dark Brown and Service Brown, (same as the WOT1 Fire Tender)

I thnk you will find that the picture of the Tilly, is actually a dark print and what looks 'black' is actually Very Dark Brown.

The Jeep question has also interested me, I have a feeling that they would have been all over RAF Service Brown, but again the only colour photo's of RAF Jeeps I have seen are in Desert Sand!

Lets hope someone has the answer.

Jules

Not much help I know, but better than none! I dont have any period colour photos of RAF jeeps but the ones I have seen in B&W suggest a single all over colour. Not to say photos dont exist of ones in two colour schemes. If there are any I'd be interested to see them, and what period they date from.

Quoting from Mike Starmer:

BS 33 and post-war 633 colour as used on most RAF ground vehicles from 1937 until 1941 and again from 1946.

BS 61 Light Stone - Desert Vehicles. This seems to have widespread on RAF vehicles as well from the photos i've found. Please correct me if i'm wrong!

Now there's a website somewhere which DOES have a good colour matches of the British Standard colours.