Cromwells in 'Band of Brothers'

ajmac

I know that not everyone will have seen the series but if you have....

There appeared to be at least two running Cromwells in one episode along with three or four Sherman Grizzlies, were the Cromwells original (or replica?) ones and where are they now?

I know that not everyone will have seen the series but if you have....

There appeared to be at least two running Cromwells in one episode along with three or four Sherman Grizzlies, were the Cromwells original (or replica?) ones and where are they now?

I believe one was a Centaur, belonging to Dennis Roberts.

Adrian, I'm guessing your Sherman wasn't in Band of Brothers but was it in other movies / documentries?

Joris, the only thing my Sherman has been in is a short series about living history called Revival. I was contracted to supply my tank, teach the presenter to drive it, which he did very well and do a short piece to camera. This was only shown in the Meridian TV area in the UK south coast a few years ago. One episode was about tanks and Ken Tout joined us for the filming. I do have it on DVD and it's actually quite good!

The Cromwells in Band of Brothers were according to a history I have from A Sqn 15/19 Hussars who were the Armoured Recce regt of 11th Armoured Division.

Bazz.

You haven't got this on DVD have you Bazz?

If you can stop the DVD in the right place, there is a frame which shows the commander full-face. He has goggles over the beret, but through the glass it is quite clearly at the very least a good representation of a cloth officer-pattern XV/XIX H badge.

People can slag off Spielberg for his mistakes, but he got that one spot on.

As the History of 11 Armd Div footnotes, Market Garden was not an 11 Armd Div op with the sole exception that A Sqn 15/19H were attached 501 PIR.

I have been asked to do more but to be honest, film crews just see it as another prop and are none to careful how they treat it.

The money is good but the hours are long and it's sometimes not worth it. I have done a lot with other peoples tanks though.

Last year we did a drive through for an italian film with my friends' Sherman. they had this truck mounted overhead camera and they told us to drive through the gap.... We told them that it was cutting it fine, but no, they said there was plenty of room...

DSCF1518_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG

DSCF1520_1_1_1_1_1_1.JPG

Must point out that this book is a real eye opened as far as Cromwells are concerned. Written from the Rolls-Royce perspective about all the mods they did to create the Meteor and the mods they did on the tank as a whole. Originally I thought they just did the engine, not so, they made more of a contribution to the tank than you would believe!

'The Rolls-Royce Meteor' - Cromwell and other applications.

Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust - Histotical Series No 35