Hello from Devon

Hi All!

My names Rich and I'm a farmer from North Devon. Thought I'd better join up here and say hello. I've just bought my first military vehicle from a local auction, after years of longing for a classic commercial of some kind. Please bear with me on the stupidity front, but I beleive I have got a Commer Q4, which once served in the Devon section of the AFS. Its fitted with the remains of a dropside body, and was last run 20 years ago. 400 quid lighter and I'm pleased as punch, will be even more pleased if I can get it to run!

Cheers

Rich

Nice looking truck. Looks fairly sound too. Good luck with getting it to run. Beware though.......... we are all as eager as you to see it running and will pester the life out of you until it is. You picked a good time to buy it; sort of in between silage and hay, so will you be starting on it this week....:-D See, we've started already. :cool2:

It may be a good idea to check your video camera is fully charged and you are fully conversant with how to post video on this loony website.

Cheers and good luck. Will. :thumbsup:

Thanks again! It does seem to be in good condition, but I dare say further investigation will reveal the shocking truth.... I fully intend to start restoration immediatley, I have 9000 free range chickens so theres a few eggs to collect first. Silaging is all done and its raining so I wont be out on the bike!

Rust seems confined to door bottoms and around the rear quarters of the cab, time to brush up on my tig welding skills? If I could get it running it would keep my mind at rest. At least I could drive it in and out of the barn when the telehandler needs to come out, and I wouldnt be worried about the rain making the old girl disintegrate any more.

Please feel free to badger me about progress, I'm determined to get it on the road for the Holsworthy vintage rally next year!

The only thing that is still puzzling me is that my wife seems strangely non angry about this purchase....:confused:

C' is already a good thing which you practise the TIG work with the MIG-MAG is already emplement sufficient. for your past of restoration conveys and motor bike seron just a tramplin for that of your truck. for your wife it must be said at least if it is with the garage it will not go to the PUB.

I d say you got a good bit of Vehicle for you money , a bit of pressure washing and a bit of paint will make it look pretty darn good . Of course the wood body may look better than it is ? as least its all there so you could use it as a pattern.

Oh and welcome to the Friendliest Forum on the Web.

Welcome,

nice truck, according to The Green Machine, yours was originally with Devon Auxiliary Fire Service, based at Barnstaple, so she hasnt left the county.

All the best and enjoy the forum

Mark

Hello mate.

Very nice looking truck. I'm very jealous as you have the facilities to strip that baby down to the bare chassis and re-build. A good bit of shot blasting should do the trick. At £400 you could fork out and get the engine rebuilt and still have a bargain.

• 7 months later...

hi rich and welcome to the hmvf from another farmer, hope all goes well with the restoration, be prepared to spend more time and money than you expect but it will be worth it in the end. a mate of mine has some Q4 spares, if i can help in anyway send me a message.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Rich

Is your farm on the main road at Hollacombe, If it's you I'm Tim at tredown landrovers, if I can help let me know I'e got some ww2 vehicles.

Tim selwyn

Hi Tim,

You know the place, the egg farm by the tip at anvil corner. I bought my 90 from you! Dougal said you had a few ww2 american trucks, is one parked in the hay barn? The truck didnt make holsworthy rally this year, but I've got a new found enthusiasm so shall be updating the resto blog on here. Would love to pop round at look at your trucks one day?

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

I'm on a farm in north devon too, nearish Dolton, its always surprising what goodies are tucked away in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Its true what you say about goodies tucked away on farms, my place is looking more like steptoes yard every day. Did you go to the holsworthy vintage rally in your green goddess?

There was a couple there, both really nice, in fact i nearly bought one on e-bay from newton abbott but decided at the last minute to spend the money on getting the Commer done instead. Which is bordering on sensible, most unlike me.....

No wasn't me but holsworthy is getting to be a good show by all accounts.

Hope to meet up at some point. Are you going to the Cobbaton show is August? Hoping to get the ferret and saracen (depending on mechanical reliability) there this year.

Cheers

Paul