CVR(W) Ferret

diggerdog36

Do you need a Cat C license to drive a ferret, just thinking the weight of a Ferret is 3.7t, and the weight restriction on a Cat B Car is 3.5t.

So my question, do you need a Cat C license??

Edited by diggerdog36

Do you need a Cat C license to drive a ferret, just thinking the weight of a Ferret is 3.7t, and the weight restriction on a Cat B Car is 3.5t.

So my question, do you need a Cat C license??

MkII is 3.6 Tons. MkI under that. I have a complete conversion kit to turn a MKII turreted into a MKI if you need one. :-D

I passed my test in 2000, so I am restricted to 3.5t. Most websites state Ferrets as 4.5-5.5t

But there is something on this forum about driving vehicles registered before 1960 require only a B licence aslong as they are wheeled! So I could drive an Antar on my car licence because it was registered pre-1960! I would have to look into that. Someone also commented on the fact that the armour isnt classed as 'weight'. ie, if the Ferret wasnt fitted with Armour what would it weigh, probably not much more than a 110 or 101!!

A Ferret without armour wouldn't exist! It's bascially an armoured bath tub, when a wheel station at each corner and an engine in the back. I passed my test in 2000. I have a 1959 Mk 1. You need to ignore a lot of facts and figures posted on the internet, they are usually nonsense. The Ferret book quotes a Mk 1 as 3500kg and a Mk2 at around 3700kg. People have had a Mk 1 on a weigh bridge and they are less than this.

Is there realistically anyone out there that has ever had their licence checked or been pulled onto a weighbridge? I think for my first piece of armour, a Ferret would be ideal, they are cheap and easier to maintain than anything tracked, unless anyone can suggest any thing else!

Is there realistically anyone out there that has ever had their licence checked or been pulled onto a weighbridge? I think for my first piece of armour, a Ferret would be ideal, they are cheap and easier to maintain than anything tracked, unless anyone can suggest any thing else!

There are many people that are pulled on to weighbridges in all types of vehicles everyday... don't be one of those that try & bend the law to fit their own circumstances... 100% legal is the only way to go

I would agree with Lee, buy a Mk1 or take your cat C test.

No point in being the one who gets caught.

Ferrets are great vehicles (my first armoured vehicle was one), easy enough to maintain and manageable on your own.

Also very practical to drive on the roads.

FV430's are big, heavy, require friends to work on and "interesting" to drive on the road (especially narrow lanes and heavy traffic).

I've had my MK2 Ferret on a weigh bridge without kit inside and out and it weighed over 4 tons. The DVLA wouldn't let me MOT exempt the Ferret till I had the weight of the vehicle on the V5.

Depending on the age of the vehicle and I'm thinking pre 1960 would the Cat C part of the licence actually apply to a driver that passed his or her test after the rules changed 1997ish.

It would be a good idea for a prospective new Ferret owner to buy a pre 1960 Ferret

Andy

Edited by ferrettkitt
can not spell

Out of interest, has anyone had a Mk2/4 on a weighbridge? Judging by the additional armour welded onto mine I think it should have added quite a few kg's :-D

I've not come across any weight data for the Mk2/4's.

I don't know if I should have but I took my ferret out on my own on the roads for the first time last week, without the screen in of course :-D Great fun! but everytime I've been out before I have had a commander.

Out of interest, has anyone had a Mk2/4 on a weighbridge? Judging by the additional armour welded onto mine I think it should have added quite a few kg's :-D

I've not come across any weight data for the Mk2/4's.

According to EMER Data Summary, the weight for heaviest uparmoured versions are;

Mk2 Recce

Unladen 3.683 tonnes ( 3 tons 12 cwt 2 qrs )