New british military kit

Nick Johns

Yeah!. Old tat, to replace old tat!.

Old tat?? The MAN is nothing like what you are on about, i suspect the MAN KAT's of the 70's & 80's. The shape is similar but D20 440bhp engines, semi/auto gearboxes etc make it a different league to the MAN's of old. Name me another modern truck that can do what we ask the MAN's to do and ill discuss.:)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
. 500bhp V8 diesels .

V8:cool2: mind you i had a 70s MAN 6 pot in my Gentlemans motor yacht

it ran like a watch started no heat before i let go of the key.:-D

The Oshkosh PLS-HEMTT range of trucks. 500bhp V8 diesels with 6 speed auto,and bigger load capability.

They dont have bigger load capacity as they have restricted capability x-country.

500bhp with a 6spd auto will sap power....MAN has a modern 440bhp with a 12speed manual/auto. I have driven the PLS HEMTT and it is good x-country (with the weight limit though) but is very basic, not as comfortable to drive and other negative things as well.

• 1 year later...

Just spent 2 1/2 months in Canada and put MAN SVR through it's paces and it's a quality wagon as is most of the other MAN variants, MAN SVR has excellent cross country capability for a 32 ton wagon and the recovery capability is second to none, winching bogged vehicles from Land Rover to Crarrv and Challenger 2 with no dramas. Old tat???? I think not, definately a step in the right direction from MOD procurement.

Just spent 2 1/2 months in Canada and put MAN SVR through it's paces and it's a quality wagon as is most of the other MAN variants, MAN SVR has excellent cross country capability for a 32 ton wagon and the recovery capability is second to none, winching bogged vehicles from Land Rover to Crarrv and Challenger 2 with no dramas. Old tat???? I think not, definately a step in the right direction from MOD procurement.[/QUOT

I have just come off PT2 and i saw a far few of the SV/SVR's being pulled out of the mud by the foden IMMLC, they just seemed to sink in what i would say where not the most challanging of conditions, also the IM was the only vehicle (apart from L/R) driving around our harbour area after all the SV fleet SVR included were left on the road due to too the muddy conditions. If the MOD was to fit a more off-road style of tyre to the SV fleet then there preformance would improve alot

Old tat?? The MAN is nothing like what you are on about, i suspect the MAN KAT's of the 70's & 80's. The shape is similar but D20 440bhp engines, semi/auto gearboxes etc make it a different league to the MAN's of old. Name me another modern truck that can do what we ask the MAN's to do and ill discuss.:)

They look Gucci but there are big issues etc already with electrics. Some Rgt are hanging back on them due to unreliability issues.

The old Bedford and even the Daf are the Stalwarts of some fractions in the green fleet.

Watch this space.........Sounds like the old stories around the raplacements for the FC101 etc in days gone by!

I suspect a big wave of refurbs from CHE at Ashchurch????

Just spent 2 1/2 months in Canada and put MAN SVR through it's paces and it's a quality wagon as is most of the other MAN variants, MAN SVR has excellent cross country capability for a 32 ton wagon and the recovery capability is second to none, winching bogged vehicles from Land Rover to Crarrv and Challenger 2 with no dramas. Old tat???? I think not, definately a step in the right direction from MOD procurement.[/QUOT

I have just come off PT2 and i saw a far few of the SV/SVR's being pulled out of the mud by the foden IMMLC, they just seemed to sink in what i would say where not the most challanging of conditions, also the IM was the only vehicle (apart from L/R) driving around our harbour area after all the SV fleet SVR included were left on the road due to too the muddy conditions. If the MOD was to fit a more off-road style of tyre to the SV fleet then there preformance would improve alot

Sort of agree on the tyres, they could have a more aggressive x country tyre fitted however when that rain started on PT2 there wasn't much that wasn't getting stuck, I had no real dramas with my SVR and I put a lot down to blokes unwillingness to get out of the wagons and walk the route. SV/SVR fleet left on the road??? I take it you were CSS then as the roads were the last place you wanted to be on during that rain, I always advised the drivers of bogged wagons to pick a route X country in order to complete their journey as the roads/tracks were often impassable. I also pulled out a few IM Fodens as well so swings and roundabouts, that said I always been of the opinion that if they had based the Foden 6x6 recovery around the drops 4 axle chassis then things could have been different.

Sort of agree on the tyres, they could have a more aggressive x country tyre fitted however when that rain started on PT2 there wasn't much that wasn't getting stuck, I had no real dramas with my SVR and I put a lot down to blokes unwillingness to get out of the wagons and walk the route. SV/SVR fleet left on the road??? I take it you were CSS then as the roads were the last place you wanted to be on during that rain, I always advised the drivers of bogged wagons to pick a route X country in order to complete their journey as the roads/tracks were often impassable. I also pulled out a few IM Fodens as well so swings and roundabouts, that said I always been of the opinion that if they had based the Foden 6x6 recovery around the drops 4 axle chassis then things could have been different.

The "Canada Problem" was known about at start of SV deployment to BATUS. I say Canada Problem as its not just the tyres but the clay/mud you get in BATUS. We didnt have any dramas during trials of SV until we got them out to Canada. THe tyres on all except the SV® are of a different type and profile. Not going into detail but we wanted the SV® tyres on the fleet wide. I have just come back from a 7 month tour of Afghanistan and all the SV fleet is performing well, SV® more so. I have seen SV's being brought back after IED strikes and the truck is wrecked to say the least and the guys inside have survived. Dont listen to stories about electrical gremlins!

The "Canada Problem" was known about at start of SV deployment to BATUS. I say Canada Problem as its not just the tyres but the clay/mud you get in BATUS. We didnt have any dramas during trials of SV until we got them out to Canada. THe tyres on all except the SV® are of a different type and profile. Not going into detail but we wanted the SV® tyres on the fleet wide. I have just come back from a 7 month tour of Afghanistan and all the SV fleet is performing well, SV® more so. I have seen SV's being brought back after IED strikes and the truck is wrecked to say the least and the guys inside have survived. Dont listen to stories about electrical gremlins!

We had some "electrical gremlins" in Canada on PT2 but we have some excellent VM's who know SV inside out and sorted the problems in no time.