To drive - or not to drive, that is the question!!

ArtistsRifles

I think you can get away with that in a Ferret Chris - but I suspect the Stalwart might be a bit too noticeable :D

Seriously though - I've no problems with extended maint before and after - if I did then I'd be in the wrong hobby, wouldn't I :D

Just relieved to hear others on the Alvis 6x6 model are doing it.....

Hello guys,

I was talking to a chap at a show last year who'd got a Stalwart. As well as bouncing over curbs and cutting corners to try spin the wheel on loose gravel he also said not to change gear while turning a corner ( but I can't remember why :oops: ). He recommended doing the same with the Ferret.

Regards

Richard

also said not to change gear while turning a corner ( but I can't remember why )

They tend to stop VERY fast (and stall out) when you dip the cutch due to the wind-up in the transmission. Power needs to be applied cautiously and slightly progressively when cornering. Accelerate and she'll veer one way - lift off too quickly and she'll veer the opposite way for the same reason.

A Stalwart needs to be treated with care and respect on the public highway at all times - their other part trick comes from the steering rams. You need to correct the steering just enough to keep her on a more or less straight line. move the wheel too far unintentionally and the rams kick in and take over. Not unknown to need both sides of the road + the pavements + the hedgerows to correct this if it gets too bad :oops:

Oh yes - and the gear change is even worse than a worn Militants one!! Going from 2 to 3 is a risky business as there's a fair chance of missing and trying to get 1!!

Power needs to be applied cautiously and slightly progressively when cornering. Accelerate and she'll verr one way - lift off too quickly and she'll veer the opposite way for the same reason.

Neil,

This because of the "No-Spin" diff. It does not happen with Saracens as they have conventional diffs.

One reason for Stalwarts to suffer tracta failure, sometimes more often than Saracen or Saladin, is the angle of the drive shafts from inner to outer tractas. Stalwarts have the suspension set so that when loaded the shafts are nearly level, consequently when running around unladen the joints are going through a wide angle of articulation. When I worked on all these sort of vehicles for REME, we had some Stalwarts used by a training unit, never laden, so cured a lot of the problems by setting suspension heights similar to a Saracen.

Richard

• 2 months later...

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!

They are there to be enjoyed. I'm not worried about fuel, but I do drive a 110, if I had anything bigger I would still drive it, sod the fuel, it's my hobby and I don't drink much and a good night out on the booze can come to £100 with cab's food etc.

I might spend £80 on something for my landy and my mate's think i'm mad, well, I think thier mad spending £80 on a pair of trainer's!!

I can do most show's(fri night-mon morn) with about £200 which include's fuel, food and drink which I think is brilliant. From the moment I arrive at a show to the time I go home I don't stop laughing and that's what it's all about :D

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!

They are there to be enjoyed. I'm not worried about fuel, but I do drive a 110, if I had anything bigger I would still drive it, sod the fuel, it's my hobby and I don't drink much and a good night out on the booze can come to £100 with cab's food etc.

I might spend £80 on something for my landy and my mate's think i'm mad, well, I think thier mad spending £80 on a pair of trainer's!!

I can do most show's(fri night-mon morn) with about £200 which include's fuel, food and drink which I think is brilliant. From the moment I arrive at a show to the time I go home I don't stop laughing and that's what it's all about :D

Well said, I totally agree.

• 2 years later...

I drove my Saracen 126 miles on a round trip, from Southampton, to Ascot and back, (including cruising at 55mph on the M3!) no real issues, except a few splutters when settling back to lower 'town' speeds, but no breakdowns.....fuel cost not an issue, as I wasn't paying for it!

It was fun, on the return journey, vehicles were taking turns to overtake while their occupants took snapshots!

neil proceed with caution....big miles will mean trouble unless you have some method and plnety of time to recover it...I have my stolly in good nick but I WORRY EVERY INCH OF THE ROAD WHEN I AM OUT WITH HER...I am taking my 432 out this month for the first time...now that will be fun...and scary...

If you are not going to drive them, you might as well give them to a museum, where they can join all the other lifeless items that will never ever get used again, in the way they were intended. I still intend to drive the Antar when and where I can. The problems with breaking down in a stalwart, can't come close to breaking down with an Antar and two trailers, but I am bu66ered if I will let it become a lifeless relic gathering dust....

Neil - stop being a big girls blouse and drive the thing.

In full agreement with Antarmike in that if you have a vehicle which you don't want to drive - sell it and get something else.

For those who are lucky enough - or silly enough to own WWII vehicles, the issues of breakdowns are both costly and unfortunately for me - frequent. Lets be honest - vehicles built in the 1940's were not expected to have a long life span. Certainly not to last into the 20th century. (Should that be the 21st century - oh well you know what I mean).

It is only due to some good friends on the forum that my vehicle has been repaired as many times as it has. I have had some major failures in the last three years but surely this is what our hobby is all about - isn't it?

I have a major headache in when something breaks on the Ward Lafrance, spares are a major problem. I know of only one dealer who sells WLF spares in Europe. However, I use common sense when planning what shows to attend but I won't let the thought of my truck breaking stop me from driving it.

If anyone has seen me arriving at a show with the Ward Lafrance - you will notice I am normally sporting a very large grin - often referred to as the "Ward Lafrance grin" to those in WLF circles. Won't get one arriving on a low loader.

The cost of fuel is something I have to think about but will still drive to a show rather than pay silly money for a low loader. If a show is far enough away for me not to drive the WLF there - then common sense says I shouldn't go.

In short - yes I scared silly when I take the Ward out - but if I couldn't drive it - scares me even more.

Markheliops

Make sure your vehicle is sorted, dont leave something to chance, i.e the points gap is closing up, the water is leaking from a mushy pipe etc, if its sorted, it wont let go, carry a number of good spares and a bit of a "Bodge" kit, wire, Jubilee clips, speed tape, self amalgamating tape, quiksteel putty etc stuff you can make up, fill, patch and repair until you can get home.

I usually have a reasonable tool bag with me, a jerry can of water and a spare can of fuel, just about any MV will be capable of accommodating that level of kit, generally as part of its CES.

I have had problems, but have managed to sort them out and get going again, as it happens the problems/niggles are getting less, as they are ironed out with use, and you get more tuned in with the vehicles quirks, and i thoroughly enjoy driving my vehicle to shows, its all part of the event, not a part the punters see, but your own personal pride in a job well done.

(Kissing the ground after falling out of your MV in a sweaty heap on returning back home from a show, on a sunday night, in the style of the pope, may be considered the most extreme expression of MV ownership.:-D)

Get in and drive it, its a pointless exercise in ownership otherwise.

(The exception to this is tracked kit, the logistics of which i can fully understand keeping off of the public highway on the way to a show, so long as its used at the event!)

Has to be Drive,you cant beat the smell and sound as you drive down the road.its also great to see people faces as you pass them in small towns in which some people wouldn't get to see the vehicles any other way. As for breakdowns it happens the only thing you can do is be as prepared as you can,I can see why Neil has asked these questions due to the amount of post with his stolly broken i would be concerned as well:shocked: i would get fully sorted and then road test many times on short runs with the assistance of help i it did break down

Breakdown cover is good BUT remember the bigger the vehicle the harder it becomes i would recommend asking the following before taking out any policy:stop:

What is the estimated time for recovery

what the total weight that they can accommodate

remember your only talking to a broker they wont know what your vehicle is no point paying to find that there not able to recover you:???

Ye gods!!!

I'm surprised this old thread (it was started back in 2006 when I was looking into buying a vehicle) has been resurrected....

Mark - you should know by now that the Stalwart gets driven 90% of the time it goes out anywhere - and I've usually got a similar grin to yours whilst doing so.. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hence the frustration right now with those s*dd*ng brakes seizing on!!!

Lee has been kind enough to offer assistance there though so - again the same as yourself - I'm still mobile (or will be) due to the friendships made within the movement and on this forum.

As regards breakdown cover - I opted to do direct with the firm who provided the deal with RoadSure so I know they know what the vehicle is and how much it weight as well as the restrictions on towing that apply to this particular type.

As regards tracked kit - I would LOVE to be able to drive the OT on the roads, after all it's now in a roadworthy condition. But thats another story covered in other threads

Edited by ArtistsRifles