Government u-turn for landings

Mark Collins

I apologise if under the wrong thread but I have just come across this on the aol news posted on their website today 20/3, if anyones interested!

Government in D-Day landings u-turn

The Government will provide support for veterans who want to mark the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy this year.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said said it would make sure there was "appropriate British attendance" and "provide support so that veterans can participate", but it did not say what form this support it would take.

Last year, Veterans Minister Kevan Jones said it was a "long-standing policy" to use public money only for landmark anniversaries 25, 50, 60 and 100 years after major events.

However, a MoD spokesman said: "There is no question of the Government's commitment to veterans and to full participation in an international commemoration of D-Day."

It is understood Mr Jones will meet members of the Normandy Veterans Association next week to discuss the issue.

The Normandy Landings on June 6, 1944, saw thousands of Allied troops pour onto the beaches of occupied France and marked a strategic turning point in the war against Hitler's Germany.

The MoD spokesman added: "The Government will make sure that there is appropriate British attendance, including ministerial representation, and will provide support so that veterans can participate.

"There is a significant British Armed Forces presence in Normandy every June and there will be again this year, including current members of units which fought on D-Day who will stand alongside veterans at wreath-laying ceremonies."

Earlier this month, more than 300 people signed a petition on the Downing Street website which urged Prime Minister Gordon Brown "to give funding to those war veterans wishing to attend the 65th D-Day anniversary in Normandy".

Edited by Mark Collins

The MoD spokesman added: "The Government will make sure that there is appropriate British attendance, including ministerial representation, and will provide support so that veterans can participate".

You can bet the ministers won't be paying out of their own pocket to go!

Probably got the best hotels at tax payers expense too! :angry

Interesting to note that since Nov last year the Government has flatly refused to do anything for the 65th anniversary. Now, 24 hours after the National Press get involved, theres a sudden about-face on the issue!!!!

One can draw ones own conclusions about this given the state of affairs generally in the UK these days......

That's a bit ridiculous... wouldn't of thought it mattered where the money came from as long as it gets as many Vets as possible over there..

There's enough problems with the RBL not bothering to raise money without the NVA going down the same road..

You can see their point of view, they are almost there with the money and at the last minute someone comes in to try and take the credit when they did not want to know in the first place.

You have to admire them for standing up to their principals.

I have just been looking on the BBC news page and found the following today

Veterans reject D-Day cash offer

A veterans' association has rejected an offer of Lottery funding for a trip to mark the 65th anniversary this summer of the D-Day landings in France.

The Normandy Veterans Association said it would not accept the money at this late stage.

It said it had almost raised enough with the help of a national newspaper.

The government has said it will provide support for those wishing to travel, but has not clarified exactly what help will be available.

Earlier on Friday, the Big Lottery Fund announced it will pay for veterans to attend the commemoration of the 65th anniversary of D-Day in Normandy in June.

But Peter Hodge, honorary general secretary of the Normandy Veterans Association, said it was too late.

"There is no way in the world I am going to agree with the National Lottery standing up and saying they sent our veterans to Normandy in the 65th anniversary," he said.

"The people of this country have put the money together and the veterans this year will be going to Normandy with the blessing and the appreciation of the British people and there is no way, that 10 weeks before the kick-off, that they are going to take the credit for this."

'Appropriate attendance'

On Friday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he wanted to be "very much part" of this year's commemorations of the landings in Nazi-occupied France, which marked the beginning of the end of World War II.

Speaking at an EU summit in Brussels, Mr Brown said he hoped there would be a commemoration service at Westminster Abbey.

"I hope it will give us the chance to thank and remind ourselves of the sacrifice that was made by so many people who are part of a great generation of heroes for our country," he said.

He added: "President Sarkozy and I have been talking about what we can do together to commemorate this important occasion not just for Britain but for the whole of Europe."

His comments came after the Ministry of Defence (MoD) went back on a previous decision and said it would provide support for veterans who wanted to mark the anniversary.

The MoD said it would provide support so that veterans could participate and ensure there would be "appropriate British attendance".

Minister for Veterans Kevan Jones will be meeting the Normandy Veterans Association's leaders next week to discuss the issue.

The MoD had previously said it was policy to provide funding only to commemorate 25th, 50th, 60th and 100th anniversaries of nationally important events.

Last chance

For many of the D-Day veterans, the 65th anniversary will be their last chance to remember the sacrifices made on 6 June 1944.

It is estimated 500 UK veterans are still fit enough to make the journey to Normandy.

The Big Lottery Fund said it would offer financial support to any veterans who wanted to attend 65th anniversary events overseas.

"Our offer includes Normandy veterans wanting to attend events in June of this year," it said in a statement. "But we want to extend our offer to all servicemen who saw action in other theatres during the Second World War.

"Full details will be announced next week."

Five years ago, every veteran received a grant of £330 from the Lottery Fund to pay for their trip to commemorate the 60th anniversary. The Allied Forces' landings on France's Channel coast in 1944 spearheaded the campaign to liberate western Europe from the Nazis. It proved successful, although thousands of lives were lost, and within a year World War II in Europe was over.

Edited by Mark Collins

even more embarrassing now as the Veterans have turned round and rejected the money...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7956397.stm

Absolutely fantastic news and bloody well done them - wonderful to see some pride for once and this generation has it.

We have all worked hard to raise money to get as many as we can back there - this their moment, not ours and certainly not 10 Downing Streets.

I nearly put my fist through the screen of my laptop when I read the below from the above news piece.

start_quote_rb.gifI hope it will give us the chance to thank and remind ourselves of the sacrifice that was made by so many people end_quote_rb.gif

Gordon Brown on a possible service at Westminster Abbey

- hey you might want to give your self some time to think about the fact you are still sending my friends and men to war..

And then;

But Peter Hodge, honorary general secretary of the Normandy Veterans Association, said it was too late.

o.gif

"There is no way in the world I am going to agree with the National Lottery standing up and saying they sent our veterans to Normandy in the 65th anniversary," he said.

"The people of this country have put the money together and the veterans this year will be going to Normandy with the blessing and the appreciation of the British people and there is no way, that 10 weeks before the kick-off, that they are going to take the credit for this."

Bloody well get's my full support. Not sure if 10 Downing Street was aware that it was the 65th this year...mind you they have had 65 years of notice.

Five years ago, every veteran received a grant of £330 from the Lottery Fund to pay for their trip to commemorate the 60th anniversary.

Impressive stuff and very kind of them - wonder if they are aware that the war in the middle east is costing £5000/second.......

Sorry I have broken the P word rules but for goodness sake.

Rant over and well done the vets.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Dunkirk spirit still survives,just.it would be a shame if any vets didnt go because of not accepting the money,but if i was one of them i would rather stay at home than let the Government at this stage take the credit.:argh:

I think Peter Hodge and the NVA are to be highly commended for this decision. It would have been all to easy to step back and let the Gov't take the kudos on the basis every veteran is guaranteed to go who wants to.

But for once an organization has had the courage and integrity demonstrated by it's members nigh on 65 years ago to say NO to those who would grab the credit and the spotlight after first having told them to S*d Off for so long.

To paraphrase how Peter Hodge put it in the BBC article - the veterans who want to go WILL be going and it will the Public, not face saving politico's, who are sending them in gratitude for the courage and heroism back then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7957718.stm

Veterans will take lottery cash

_45477083__40082209_dday_getty_238-1.jpg The D-day landings of 1944 were a major turning point in World War II

A group of veterans from Bristol said they will accept lottery funding to attend the commemoration of the 65th anniversary of D-Day in France.

Members raised £200,000 after believing they would not get lottery money.

They were annoyed their original request was turned down and said the cash has now come too late for some of their members to make the trip.

The group welcomed the lottery cash but made it clear it was public donations which had made the trip possible.

'Astounding generosity'

A group spokesman said: "I don't want the National Lottery to have the credit of saying they are funding the veterans to go to Normandy.

"They are not. The British people have raised the money and I'm absolutely astounded at the generosity of the people from school children to pensioners," he said.

Five years ago, each former soldier received £330 from the Lottery Fund to pay for the trip. But this year many believed that financial help would not be available so they could not afford to go. "If it [the money] had come earlier it would have been an absolute blessing. It's just 10 weeks, people have got no idea of the logistics of trying to arrange something like this in 10 weeks," spokesman Peter Hodge said.

It has now suddenly dawned onthe faceless mandarins what a great photo and TV opportunity this is to get Gordon Brown's smarmy smile in amongst a group of Normandy vets...... as if the whole thing had anything to do with him:argh: Makes me sick to think about it.

If mods think this is political I don't consider it any more political than us raising money for the vets only to have the whole thing hijacked.

I have thought long and hard before posting but feel it does need to be said.