This might be impossible

Mark

Land rover heaters are not the best for kicking out heat, but is there anything you can do to;

A. Get more heat out of one

B. Get one working and at least get some heat

I believe that they are fed from the hot water system ? is there a bleed or something to get air out etc.

any ideas from the LR gods here.

There should be a tap on the top of the engine near the bulkhead which controls the hot water flow to the heater. Make sure this is turned on. Also make sure the electric motor in the fan is working. If both of these are ok but you are still cold, maybe buy a Winterised one?

There should be a tap on the top of the engine near the bulkhead which controls the hot water flow to the heater. Make sure this is turned on. Also make sure the electric motor in the fan is working. If both of these are ok but you are still cold, maybe buy a Winterised one?

Cheers :-D not so much cold but frustated as to why they do not work properly or efficiently.

Mark,

What model of Land rover have you got?

I had a Series III, one of the best mods I did was stick a modern thermostat in the engine, one that opens at 80 odd degrees rather than 70. The extra heat in the water works wonders. Also helped fuel efficiency.

Next mod was to fit a 90 heater onto the passenger footwell, it's quite a bit larger but just fits under the wing without having to remove it.

Thing to do with the lightweight is remove the tap from the engine altogether, these are prone to seizing up and restricting flow of hot water even when working correctly. You won't get to warm in summer of course because the top will be off.

With both heaters make sure the core's are clear, they tend to collect rust and muck restricting the flow of hot water. I flushed mine through both ways with a hose pipe several times. The muck that came out was unbelievable. Keep going until the water runs clear.

The heater on a 110 should work very well providing the core is clear. Check the foam seal of the heater box to the bulkhead, this can disintegrate and let could air from under the bonnet through.

If it's only you sat in the 110 most of the time, have you tried blanking off the rear section. Friend of mine hung a piece of clear polythene from the roof just behind the front seats, effectively reducing the cab size and increasing the heat in the front. If you've got a soft top, a proper fume curtain is the way to go.

My pragmatic solution to overcome the heater-problem was to take my TDi to North Africa. Don't do that if you have a TD5 or the new version with the Ford-engine since they won't survive the North African fuel (wonder, if Landrovers are only built for European inner-city traffic in the meantime :-))

Land rover heaters are not the best for kicking out heat, but is there anything you can do to;

Land Rover heaters were not meant for heat, whats the point there are so many gaps in the doors etc that you will never keep it warm.

More layers gloves and a hat are the answer (even in the summer)

(from a Land Rover Owner who knows his vehicles limitations)

Land Rover heaters were not meant for heat, whats the point there are so many gaps in the doors etc that you will never keep it warm.

More layers gloves and a hat are the answer (even in the summer)

(from a Land Rover Owner who knows his vehicles limitations)

I like it :rofl:

Most of what has been said. Change your thermostat, the heater on my 110 was poo!, new thermostat fitted and nice and toastie!!!

When I had my lightwieght I sealed up all the holes in the bulkhead(dum dum is good for this) and blanked of the passenger demist and foot heater, this forced more hot air to the drivers side.

Are both the flow and return pipes hot. If they're cold its probable an air lock

To be honest Chris I have not checked it only came to me today that they are not very good and prompted the question, I have lots of things to check now though

Thanks