Early wartime camouflage?

rippo

Hello again,

I thinking about putting camouflage on the bedford when its done. I was going to put mickey mouse on it, but hanno has wrote :nono: that one off!! I guess you do see alot of mw's done in it :coffee:.

So what other types are there? i know very little about the various patterns used so any help or advise would be appericiated. The truck will be finished in olive drab no 4 as it would have left the factory, and i would preffer to keep that as the base. I think the truck would have left the factory june 1940.

Hey rippo,

Seeing you seem to think I do not allow you to paint you truck according toy our liking, the least I can do is offer some sort of further guidance :D

If you want to paint your truck correctly, I think there is no alternative really but to buy any of Mike Starmer´s booklets on camouflage. For you, the title 'BRITISH ARMY COLOURS & DISRUPTIVE CAMOUFLAGE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. FRANCE AND NW EUROPE 1936-45' seems to be the appropriate one. It is A4 size, comb-bound, 39 pages of orders and disruptive diagrams, comments and nine matched colour chips. Contact Mike by e-mail or at 18 HILLSIDE ROAD PIDDINGTON NORTHANTS. NN7 2DB UK for copies.

Also see http://www.mafva.net/ for some of Mr. Starmer´s on-line work.

Final note: if your truck left the factory in June 1940, its basic colour would/should have been painted Khaki Green No. 3, not olive drab.

HTH,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Thanks hanno,

You made me realise how many vehicles you do see painted mickey mouse, it does suit the Mw but i'd like something different. I don't want the slapped on effect, i always liked malta sand but don't want to paint my truck sand, yet..

When i think about it i can only bring to mind mickey mouse, and the black on green striped pattern. I can remember a picture of one of richard bedalls QL's in snow camoflauge. There must have been others so appreciate your comments.

I matched the paint to some i sound on the chassis then thought it was olive drab my mistake.

Any pictures or any suggested patterns?

In 1940 as far as i can work out, they were using the two green disruptive pattern on B range vehicles .

http://www.geocities.com/vk3cz/Paint.html

http://www.geocities.com/vk3cz/GSbody3.html

this is a page i put together some years ago... might be of use to you

Mike

Edited by goanna

If you want to paint your truck correctly, I think there is no alternative really but to buy any of Mike Starmer´s booklets on camouflage. For you, the title 'BRITISH ARMY COLOURS & DISRUPTIVE CAMOUFLAGE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. FRANCE AND NW EUROPE 1936-45' seems to be the appropriate one. It is A4 size, comb-bound, 39 pages of orders and disruptive diagrams, comments and nine matched colour chips.

Rippo,

Hanno is dead right. This is a great book with loads of info and options. Mike does another in the same format on desert schemes....

I used it to confirm that the cab on my MW could be green when the outside was desert sand as they arrived from the UK in green and were painted (quicky) at the base work shops. I think it will cost you £12 or so - bargain!

Simon

As a very simplistic answer, my understanding has always been that early war British base colour was khaki and some time later (1943-44?) they switched to olive drab.

Further, camouflage on soft-skins was never a priority, so that they tended to be plain single-colour.

That said, as someone else has observed, once they were in the field, they painted their wagons to suit them (like painting out the star-shaped aiming marks on the glacis plate and turret).

In full agreement re Mike Starmers book,.............Brilliant.

(and yes, my MW does carry Micky Mouse type camo pattern, as I saw a pic of one, serving in europe with 11th armoured div insignia,- which mine also carries. :))

Like you, I like the look af the Malta disruptive cammo, but for me, its obviously not right.

All the best,

Andy

Further, camouflage on soft-skins was never a priority, so that they tended to be plain single-colour.

).

I don't agree with that statement at all. The archive photo evidence doesn't support that theory in any shape of form.

Mike

hey thanks for that the mw in your picture above is out of the same batch as mine. There looks to be three colours on the mw and would you say its sprayed on? Nice to see they haven't painted out the 30 sign!!

Hi, i think that it would have been hand painted. the truck is in german use in this photo as it would have been a battlefield pick up. the rest of the trucks are german army WH, most photos i have of british trucks in use by the german army 1940 have WH hand painted or a cross put on them. at a later date they would have had a refit and new paint job [Gray] and some times a new body.

Keith