Who has what manuals?

agripper

Had a thought about pooling information and manuals, I have been trying to get the manuals for the alvis sabre, but it occured to me that we dont ned to by a full set of manuals each but if we all agreed to sahre what we have we could build up a librey of manuals and then you get the use of all with only a small out lay.

I joind the Alvis fighting vehicle society thinking they had the manuals I needed only to find they have very little and for the money I parted with got very little other than a few advertising pamphlets.

How do others feel about this, you could scan each manuals and then share and share alike , or are there any problems I have missed. :idea:

Problem with scanning manuals for the likes of the CVR(T) is their size & the amount of A3 foldouts.. then you have to search through what you need to print off. You can't beat having the proper manuals for your vehicles that you can flick through to find the info needed for the job..

I've got most of my manuals from http://www.mark.clubaustin.co.uk/ & he always offers a first class service..

There are disks with scans out there but they tend to be bad copies..

To scan all my CVR(T) manuals would take days... not that I have a CVR(T).... Yet:-D

do you get commission Lee as you're always recommending him!

I agree with agripper, there is certainly a case for doing things cheaper. I asked the same myself re Fox manuals but of course the problem is those who have paid money for manuals won't give them away for nothing, and why should they?

In recognition of that I offered to pay a good contribution for borrowing a set to copy myself but no one would help and I ended up having to buy the full set for £125 :cry:.

On that basis why should I now share for free? :pfrt: I do think however there is certainly the case for developing a much cheaper alternative to the supplier that's always suggested

I have quite a few, but never seem to find the time to scan them in.

I have converted the CVRT Scorpion user manual to PDF is anyone needs a copy.

Will try and find time to scan some others, and post the titles here when I do.

Lee is right, you can't beat the paper copy. You have to remember when pricing up manuals that most of these CVRT manuals are very thick, I have some parts lists that are well over 500 pages. It takes a lot of time to sit and copy 500 pages when there's an A3 fold out every couple of sheets. How much would it cost you to do that at a local photocopying place? Quite a lot at 10p a sheet.

On top of this, you have to way up the costs of not having the manuals. What's the cost of putting the wrong oil in the brakes? Lee knows how much it costs to sort that on a Fox! What about if you had an accident, and ran someone over? £125 seems cheap then!

Chris

Lee knows how much it costs to sort that on a Fox!

Chris

Not my mistake BTW.. previous owner & I had to replace every seal in the calipers, new master clyinder & servo, all new brake lines... cost a fortune..

Now if the owner had spent £40 quid on a manual:coffee:

do you get commission Lee as you're always recommending him!

Nope, just that I have used him for 90% of my manuals & have always had them within delivered a couple of days, recent lot was the manuals for my 25pdr, very good service so have no problem recommending him.

I ended up having to buy the full set for £125

I don't know how many pages & documents that was, but I paid a similar amount to the MOD for all the AESPs for the Wolf. Even these are photocopies, there isn't a stack of printed documents, they are printed to order. In service the move seems to be paperless with documents accessed through the military intranet.

I don't know how many pages & documents that was, but I paid a similar amount to the MOD for all the AESPs for the Wolf. Even these are photocopies, there isn't a stack of printed documents, they are printed to order. In service the move seems to be paperless with documents accessed through the military intranet.

Over 20 years ago, the army was trying to introduce microfische instead of "hard copy" EMER's and AESP's. There is nothing better than having the manual in front of you when working on some piece of equipment. There were hand held viewers available to take out in the field, but they were rather pathetic. Copies could be printed off microfische, but not as good as hard copy manuals. Like Clive says, a lot of EMER's, etc. were issued in a photocopy form with rather vague photo illustrations, as he has found out.

The reason that they wanted to introduce microfische was that it made amending, a cheaper and more convenient method. Instead of sending out a pile of new pages to replace those being amended, a replacement fische would be produced and the preceding one would be destroyed. Sounds simple, but not practical at the sharp end.

The reason that they wanted to introduce microfische was that it made amending, a cheaper and more convenient method. Instead of sending out a pile of new pages to replace those being amended, a replacement fische would be produced and the preceding one would be destroyed. Sounds simple, but not practical at the sharp end.

Yes even when you order microfiche documents, they are processed to order, but at least they will be up to date.

I have a few Ferret manuals, both electronic and hard copy. I use the paper copy to browse, then print out the relevant ones when doing the work so I do not get the originals dirty.

happy to share.

Paperless offices were a fine idea, but will never work....how can you read the manual in the WC on your laptop!!!!

Edited by MiketheBike

Getting away from toilet humour for a moment!

What do people use for copying manuals to electronic format, what would you recommend?

I have parts manuals, driver manual etc for Humber Pig, and was considering scanning them, i would have no problem doing this if it was going into an HMVF library.....why dont you charge a small fee to access it, like a library and to regulate the access, and can you watermark electronically, because you can bet your ass it would turn up on e-bay on disk for 20 quid.

I have parts manuals, driver manual etc for Humber Pig, and was considering scanning them, i would have no problem doing this if it was going into an HMVF library.....why dont you charge a small fee to access it, like a library and to regulate the access, and can you watermark electronically, because you can bet your ass it would turn up on e-bay on disk for 20 quid.

also remember that the modern stuff is still:

a) security classifed and strictly speaking should not be out there at all, more realistically however,

b) within its crown copyright period

Those producing manuals commercially could be prosecuted, even more so if they try to claim copyright for themselves. I thought that was why Jack restricted the manuals section on the forum to WW2 only

also remember that the modern stuff is still:

a) security classifed and strictly speaking should not be out there at all, more realistically however,

b) within its crown copyright period

Those producing manuals commercially could be prosecuted, even more so if they try to claim copyright for themselves.

You had better do the right thing & not but them then John:sweat: