A Question Of Insurance

Richard Hughes

For many years I have been insured through Roadsure (now Premium Choice) I have received my premium for 2009 and it has gone up almost £100 even though my sums insured have gone down. I have spoken to them but can't do anything about the premium . I have also spoken to Footman James who significantly reduce the premium but can't insure my trailers . Can anyone recommend any other people I can get a quote from.

Cheers

Try Cherished Car Insurance,............easily beat both footman james and roadsure when i needed to renew Bedford. (policy is with same one as r/sure,......, for same cover,but without their obvious mark up.)

Andy

Oh yes,...........they can be contacted via enquires@ccins.co.uk

Edited by LeeEnfield
additional infomation

I am with NFU for most things and they are good. However NFU would not quote competitively for the Eager Beaver, so I looked around and found a Company called "Premium Choice" who ran a full page ad in an MV magazine.

They weren,t too bad price wise so I decided to go with them, before FJ came back with their quote. FJ beat them price wise by about 20%, but that isn't the reason I wish I had waited for FJ, intstead of making a snap decision for Premium Choice.

It maybe I am getting untypical service from them, but they have cocked up just about every aspect of the paperwork, time and time again. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. But as I say I might be untypical, but my own personal experience is unless you want to be on the phone to them three times about every communication, and it is still wrong, go elsewhere! They even started a claim for an accident dated four years before I took out the policy with them!

Try Cherished Car Insurance,............easily beat both footman james and roadsure when i needed to renew Bedford. (policy is with same one as r/sure,......, for same cover,but without their obvious mark up.)

Andy

Oh yes,...........they can be contacted via enquires@ccins.co.uk

I second that

Premium Choice (old name Roadsure) are a broker and they arrange their policy with an underwriter called KGM at Lloyds. This is the same policy which you buy if you go through the broker called Cherished Car

I saved a bit by doing just that - Premium Choice charge a hefty admin fee which Cherished car does not

that said the premium itself is largely set by the underwriter so if your price increase is down to them the only alternative is find a broker who does not place the policy with KGM - eg FMJ etc

I have heard of another Classic Car Insurance company, Hagerty. http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/index.aspx

They were advertising at Beaulieu Autojumble last September. I did talk to them and they were considering Military Vehicle insurance. My insurance wasn't due, but they gave me a quote close to what I am paying FJ. I will shop around in April when my insurance comes up for renewal.

I second that

Premium Choice (old name Roadsure) are a broker and they arrange their policy with an underwriter called KGM at Lloyds. This is the same policy which you buy if you go through the broker called Cherished Car

I saved a bit by doing just that - Premium Choice charge a hefty admin fee which Cherished car does not

that said the premium itself is largely set by the underwriter so if your price increase is down to them the only alternative is find a broker who does not place the policy with KGM - eg FMJ etc

I'm with FMJ this year after Premium Choice whacked the premiums up to over £400 for the Stalwart and Landie - and declined the OT saying KGM wouldn't touch tracked armour.

When I got the paperwork from FMJ for all 3 vehicles guess who the underwriter was - yep - KGM!!!

I'm looking to change insurance companys.As i suspect that when my renewal comes through from Premium,it will have gone up again.The only thing is.Do any of the other companys offer breakdown recovery?

No - but the firm who provide RoadSure/Premium Choice's cover will sell direct to you - I took it up myself this year. See post #10 in this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10594&highlight=Breakdown+cover

for the firms details and contact number.

something that has been completely overlooked I think, the premium is one thing, but what about when you have to make a claim? - surely that's the acid test with any of the insurers/brokers? Does anyone have any good/bad experiences to share? What's the point of a premium that's a few pounds if when you come to claim the cheap firm is lacking?

Although it may be the case that we are mostly insured though the same underwriter, in my experience, an insurance underwriter will invariably make you use your broker when a claim arises, as this is when the broker has to do the work they are paid for; either by us or through commission etc from the underwriter.

It can be too easy to chase cheap deals; I think you should always weigh up the full picture.

I have to deal with claims at work, we have had other brokers chasing our work, but don't entertain them as they fail you when you most need them. (that's not to say that Roadsure are any good) but I thought it wrong to focus simply on the price solely.

After all, just because we do few miles, and are careful, doesn't mean that we won't encounter an idiot on the road.