Mechanical semaphore/trafficator

Tony B

OK I'll stand risking being flamed for this, but going on the chance that not many people will have seen or heard of this arrangment before. Certainly amongst my quite extensive collection of Dodge pics its the first I've seen. So what I'm getting at is it is a slim chance that anyone is going to have the right measurements, and in the same vein no-one is going to be able to say that you might have the wrong sizes! So make them up. Get some bits of thick card and strips of wood and a few lengths of gaffer tape and knock up a few mock ups and tape them in the correct place. Stand back so that you are in the 'same location' as the camera that took the pic and judge by Mark1 eyeball which looks correct. The distances can be worked out by the obvious reference points such as how far it needs to stick out to be seen and does it need to 'fall' within the step of the truck to avoid being swiped off etc. Judge the proportions from reference to the size of other known items on the vehicle i.e. mirror head and stem and so on. Further reference to similar known mechanisms on British vehicles will fill in the details about the 'mechanics' of it, if you dont know these already. Without the unlikely event of a set of original drawings turning up its going to be as near as dammit :)

Thanks for that guys! Phil Webb has one on the QLR, in CMV this month, so I'll copy dimensions off that. What I didn't have was any pictures of the inside working bit. It will only be for show. I'm thinking of a clamp arrangement so that it will come off when not wanted.

thank you, hopefully you will see it in the flesh at your event this year i will be coming with dave ives and andy (lee enfield ) subject to planning permission from the wife, if thats ok with you

Most welcome. :-D

hi mark, although my trafficator is longer than some when you stand behind you can only see a little bit of the red and if you was not really looking for it you would quite easily miss it

Hi,

could you send me more detail pictures and demensions of your trafficator on Austin?

Thanks Radek

A detail I found when restoring my Ford WOT2, the trafficator is White, and no red tip. I have looked at all the photos I had of WOT2 trucks in wartime, and all had a White trafficator only.

as my lorry was restored by the REME in 1991 at their ashford barracks you can ask a certain gentleman that comes on here about it, although i don t think he did the painting

as its my first trafficator i have no knoledge of what colour it should be, thanks for enlightening me :)

regards

as my lorry was restored by the REME in 1991 at their ashford barracks you can ask a certain gentleman that comes on here about it, although i don t think he did the painting

as its my first trafficator i have no knoledge of what colour it should be,

:??? :??? :???

All I can say, is that Graham's K6 was painted in post-1945 colour scheme on restoration, being built too late for desert war. These semaphores were often adorned with red and white tips in postwar service ( along with red and white wheel nuts :)).

Just looked at some wartime Bedford photos and most of them are same colour as vehicle, no white at all.

Great!!!! :-)

Please take any picturec of the traficator controls.

Many thanks Radek

hi radek,

as promissed the dimensions of my trafficator and pictures to follow ive done the measurements in metric if you still need some more please let me know

trafficator,

overall length from centre of bolt hole to tip is 460mm

width at widest point (tip) is 58mm

width at narrowest point is 25mm

the pivot clevis is 40mm long

there is a solid bar or tube around the edge of trafficator that is 6mm diameter

the bracket on side of cab is comes out 100mm at the back and about 90mm at the front

the opening and closing rod at back of cab is 6mm diameter solid bar

the handle rod is 9mm diameter solid bar with a 35mm diameter handle ball

the halfmoon bracket in corner of cab is 90mm os at centre of half moon

the spring is 8mm diameter coil

regards