Excel in London in February

woa2

My Wife, Daughter and Grandaughter are going to a Baby show at Excel in London on Friday 27th Feb. I don't really want to go with them, but I have offered to take them there and must show willing.

Now the question for everyone is, where can I go in the area for a few hours while they look round the show? Can anyone recommend anywhere I can visit with a WW2 Military theme? Is there a Museum close by?

Please help, or I am committed to walking round a Baby show looking at Baby clothes, prams and the latest development in Nappy design.

Robert,

The Firepower Museum in Woolwich is not far away, just on south side of the river. It is the Royal Artillery collection with something from all eras, but I am sure it will interest you.

Richard - Thanks for that. It is a good museum, but I have been there before and was going to call in again when the show was on in mid February.

Trying to find somewhere new to visit, preferably in the Essex/North East London area?

You could always shoot out of London to Brentwood and go visit the Secret Nuclear Bunker at Kelvedon hatch, home of the (in)famoud Bunker Bash!! It's well worth a look if you aren't planning on attending the Bunker Bash itself...... Probably find young Lee and Ian there too.....

Come out of London on the A13, pass over the M25 and follow to the A128. Follow this up over the A12 through Brentwood and the Bunker is isgnposted - I reckon maybe 90 minutes drive each way....

Take the Docklands light rail from Excel across (under) the river to Greenwich, quite an experience if you get the front seat of a driverless train! see the Maritime museum, magnificent buildings of the former Naval college, Grenwich observatory, Cutty Sark restoration, plenty to see for a few hours

Edited by Nick Johns

quite an experience if you get the front seat of a driverless train!

Just make sure you don't get locked on the train when it gets to it's destination, you wait for everyone to get off so your mate can get a photo of you at the front and have to be rescued by TfL staff! Not that it happened to me....