Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i've had a busy couple of days having to go and see family ect but have now had a day and a half on the Scammell.

I have now refitted the Donkey back in the stable and plonked the rad back on, The bonnet is fitted and so are the home made side panels. I have so far managed to connect the diesel feed and stopper cable ( I got fed up after all the heavy stuff) still got to fit the rear stays to the bel housing and muff couplings ( How many times to you get to use the word "muff" without getting frowned upon )

Will try to post some pictures soon and may even include a graphic picture of a "muff":cool2:

When i got bored i decided to connect the workshop air compressor to the scammell and pump up the tanks to check for leaks ect. And after tightening a few fittings all is well apart from one valve thingy. Mine is an early one with 3 tanks two on top and one under. I think the main tank is the front one on the top (it has the air gauge conected to it) this tank has a valve thingy on the end (a pressure reducer ?) which has a breather pipe coming out the top of it. There is air coming out of this breather pipe now.

The truck still reaches full pressure and unloads, just wondering your thoughts. I think it may have rained into the breather tube and now something has stuck.

Well another good day on the scammell and the whole lot is connected up and ready to run. All I need to do is add some oil and prime the filters ect and then motor it over on the starter to fill the crank up. Then we hope for the best:sweat:Keep you posted.

Right.... :morning: Fitted the filters and filled up the sump sunday morning. Plonked the batterys on and got Little Jenny to spin it over on the starter with the decompressor gear liffted. Oil was seen to be pumping into the filter housings. Filter housing were then filled with oil and the tops fitted.

Now i decided to spin the engine over (still decompressed) to prime the oil system as the crankshaft holds a large amount of oil. After 20 seconds of cranking nothing on the gauge. Hmmmm. Another 20 second crank still diddely squat. Further cranking and then the oil pressure needel lifted.

The batterys were now fluffed and the engine was bearly turning over and on the last few desperate revolutions the needel rose 40......45.....50......55.....60.......60something..... the oil gauge had ran out of numbers!!:yay: Not bad considering it only musterd a pathetic 23psi with the old crank and bearings and that was at full throttel!!!!

The batterys were put on charge and i took the landy off up a mountain for a spot of off road fun.

Sunday afternoon saw the batterys back on and more desperate churning in an attemp to bleed the bloody diesel pump. A task made more complicated as the hand primer was stuck and upon dismanteling it i found there are no inners in it..... Doh!!:iamsmiling: Yet more churning with the decompressor gear in and the injector pipes loose and the batterys died again. but we now had diesel in all the right places.:yay: I decided to give her a go. ....With the last amps in the batterys i wound her up on the starter then threw the decompressor and with a nice flummmphh of she went... no smoke no leaks no knocking. :sweat:60 odd psi on the clock. runs about 55psi hot at idle. Will now give her a few gentle runs before trying to move her and keep an eye on the gauge.

Sounds luvery 10 1/2 liters farting through a 4 1/2" straight through egg n sauce....Nice...:whistle:

Beautifull lorry in beautifull countryside ! Lucky sod ! Well done Rob !:clap::clap:

It's alright when the weather is good but sometimes i can't even see the Scammell when i look out the window!!!:???

I have put a bit of a vidio on youtube but have no idea how to get a vidio on here. Any ideas? keep it simple please.