What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

The geometry of the Deltic is even more complicated wth one of the three cranks turning in the opposite direction to the other two.

This would give a harmonic balancing effect similar to a balancing shaft would it not?

As an apprentice I serviced a few of them, but never got involved in major repairs as they never went wrong.

Lovely bit of kit, but like everything else this country ever made, it has all now disappeared, swllowed up and spat out by bigger companies, or out legislated in the countries we used to export our fine machinery to. :-(

Trainees on the training course I attended in 1969 were tasked with stripping one of these engines and then explaining how it worked, the instructors must have had a laugh at some of the hilarious answers, including mine I suspect!

In those days a lot of small plant was starting to have Japanese engines fitted, we were not trained at all on these as the ex REME instructors wouldn't even talk about them, let alone ever allow one on the premises!

If you haven't read it I can recommend "Some Unusual Engines" by LJK Setright.

Wow! What a name from the past, he used to write very enjoyable articles in one of the Bike mags in the early 70s, I really admired his enthusiasm for his subject and his ability to infect his readers with it, top man!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wandering waaaay off topic but if you enjoy his work it's worth getting a copy of Drive On! A Social History of Motoring. Probably his last great work it really is classic Setright stuff. Beautifully written and researched. It can be picked up on fleabay for a few quid. I'm still saving up for his two volume work on Bristol.

Avoid his autobiography. It was lashed up after his death and apart from the first two chapters it is a dreadful rehash of old articles and notes. The old boy would be livid if he saw what a mess it is. It is described as "unfinished" but in truth it was "barely started".

His archive must be quite something.

Back on topic. I'd like one of these in my dining room

h24-001.jpg

Wandering waaaay off topic but if you enjoy his work it's worth getting a copy of Drive On! A Social History of Motoring. Probably his last great work it really is classic Setright stuff. Beautifully written and researched. It can be picked up on fleabay for a few quid. I'm still saving up for his two volume work on Bristol.

Avoid his autobiography. It was lashed up after his death and apart from the first two chapters it is a dreadful rehash of old articles and notes. The old boy would be livid if he saw what a mess it is. It is described as "unfinished" but in truth it was "barely started".

His archive must be quite something.

Back on topic. I'd like one of these in my dining room

h24-001.jpg

Oh yes, a Napier Sabre III:)

Talking of things Bristol has someone bagsied these wonders yet? Not a good image I'm afraid.

FS-R43.jpg

Which is reason enough to have a picture of something from the madder end of commercial aviation. Nice,though.

73500_800.jpg

Talking of things Bristol has someone bagsied these wonders yet? Not a good image I'm afraid.

FS-R43.jpg

Which is reason enough to have a picture of something from the madder end of commercial aviation. Nice,though.

73500_800.jpg

Centaurus and Brabazon?

Did you ID the tug?:-D

The clue is in the title of the thread, Mike...............................:coffee:

I put the pix up as a quiz before the crash and Andy F got both tug and plane, scary stuff for one so young!

Edited by gritineye

The clue is in the title of the thread, Mike...............................:coffee:

I put the pix up as a quiz before the crash and Andy F got both tug and plane, scary stuff for one so young!

OOPS!:red: I didn't know about the Brabazon gearboxes though, difficult to believe they fitted it all in the wing.

Oh yes, a Napier Sabre III:)

What era was this engine from, and what would it have been fitted to.

I presume it's a flat 24, though I've never seen one before?

I believe Rolls Royce made a flat 24 cyl engine for use in WW2. Was it called the "Typhoon" I saw an actual engine at Tangmere Air museum when it first opened many years ago. Rumour had it that more aircraft were lost through engine failures than in combat. Is this true? :)

What era was this engine from, and what would it have been fitted to.

I presume it's a flat 24, though I've never seen one before?

I believe Rolls Royce made a flat 24 cyl engine for use in WW2. Was it called the "Typhoon" I saw an actual engine at Tangmere Air museum when it first opened many years ago. Rumour had it that more aircraft were lost through engine failures than in combat. Is this true? :)

The first one was made in 1939 and they were fitted to Hawker Tempest and Typhoon. It is two flat 12s geared together.

Rolls made a flat 12 3450bhp called the Eagle and the X24 Vulture as fitted to the Manchester bomber.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
TS4 Would have been a serious threat to the big bulky Cummins engines. In the mid sixties the 14 litre Cummins most common power output was about 220 hp. The TS4 wouldn't have been far off that even for its small size.

The Commer nut i met Sunday reckoned 220 hp.

The Commer nut i met Sunday reckoned 220 hp.

No wonder Chrysler were quick to stop that one. The Cummins must have weighed twice as much as the Commer engine. Mind you; I wouldn't have thought the TS4 would have been able to match the torque of the Cummins, but you never know. :)

No wonder Chrysler were quick to stop that one. The Cummins must have weighed twice as much as the Commer engine. Mind you; I wouldn't have thought the TS4 would have been able to match the torque of the Cummins, but you never know. :)

I have read articles about the TS3 Commers when they were used in Australia and New Zealand and they seemed to command a lot of respect. One article, which I will have to dig out, had one pulling a loaded trailer on long distance work as well. Known as "Knockers" over there.

Most impressive engine??...well i have an engine and its not quite an aero engine, but has something to do with aeroplanes, not a MV engine but went in a road vehicle and this actual engines life involved ships so i suppose it could be a marine engine....in the loosest term

A Rover Gas Turbine IS60 water pump.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I remember seeing it in the science musuem and a friend of mines uncle was a test driver,the world gets smaller by the minute.:-D

I thought that was the best car ever built, I loved the looks, in my young mind it was cutting edge stuff and equal to something like a Bugatti Veyron today, I did worry about the heat of the exhaust burning following cars paint work though!

Any chance or a pic of the Rover Gas Turbine IS60 water pump?