What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the 7.7 would have been even better if it had oil filtration as does the bigger brothers 9.6/11.3....

The 7.7 incidentally has a capacity of 7.58 litres so it ought to be called the AEC 7.6

Mike, was the Mat engine known as an AV 470 (which was a true 7.685cc) or was that a later developement?

Absolutely what a massive solid chunk of precision engineerd components, with all of that complex sleeve valve drive train.

Another contender has to the Bristol Pegasus. All of the Roy Fedden designed sleeve valve Bristol Radials are things of beauty.

Pegasus is poppet valve, Hercules is sleeve valve. There is a superb sectioned Hercules in the Wellington Museum at Moreton-In-Marsh run by Gerry Tyack, an ex WW2 groundcrew from RAF M in M. Well worth a visit if in the area and if you speak to him nicely he will show you the complete tail section of a Wellington in his back garden. I can also recommend a tea shop just round the corner in the High Street!

Mike, was the Mat engine known as an AV 470 (which was a true 7.685cc) or was that a later developement?

no not the same engine, but largely developed from it I understand.

Likewise the AV505/AV590/AV690/ AV760 was largely evolved from engines such as the 9.6/11.3 I believe

Edited by antarmike

Pegasus is poppet valve, Hercules is sleeve valve. There is a superb sectioned Hercules in the Wellington Museum at Moreton-In-Marsh run by Gerry Tyack, an ex WW2 groundcrew from RAF M in M. Well worth a visit if in the area and if you speak to him nicely he will show you the complete tail section of a Wellington in his back garden. I can also recommend a tea shop just round the corner in the High Street!

Sorry a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Particularly when coupled to a dodgy memory. Used to ogle the sectioned examples in the old Birmingham Science Museum in my lunchtimes - have never visited the new Powerhouse(?), are theystill there?

Absolutely what a massive solid chunk of precision engineerd components, with all of that complex sleeve valve drive train.

Another contender has to the Bristol Pegasus. All of the Roy Fedden designed sleeve valve Bristol Radials are things of beauty. One needs to look at a sectioned example to see the superb machining of the cooling fins and the Swiss watch like construction. P&Ws are so crude by comparison.

I hope this is a Bristol Hercules, showing the gearing for the sleeve valves, who said Swiss watch?

BristolHerculesxvino105.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I see you found the Speedtalk site :-D. Some excellent photos including a Chrysler Multibank like Adrian's and a 5000hp Lycoming.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?=&p=49786

Cheers for that ,never knew the merlin suffered so many problems.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

I see you found the Speedtalk site :-D. Some excellent photos including a Chrysler Multibank like Adrian's and a 5000hp Lycoming.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?=&p=49786

That is in Chryslers museum. They found an engine in Argentina after I gave them a tip off though even they had a job importing such a weapon of war.:argh:

I sent them a CD with a recording of my engine as they wanted to do an interactive display. Not sure if they ever set it up but it's good to see a manufacturer being proud of some of it's lesser known products.

I think that the V16 BRM engine must be the loudest racing engine ever built. When you can sit in the main stands on Woodcote and be able to hear it going all round Silverstone that is LOUD. The most 'cringing' sound was the Matra V12 F1 engine. That thing hurt. I have to agree the Napier Deltic engines were and still are an amazing sound. When the Deltic prototype starting running on express trains we thought it was awful. Nothing like an LMS Duchess at full speed. Slowly the 'Ice cream cart' grew on us. Now to hear a Class 55 is fantastic. Yes Chrisg anything on Nitro especially if it is a big blown Chrysler Hemi. For a bike sound you can forget all the Japanese rubbish I remember George Brown's Supercharged Vincent drag bike 'Super Nero' and Neville Higgins Blown Vinny 'Jindervic'.

Every body has forgotten a Vulcan on full power or my favourite the P1B Lightning doing the 'Lightning farewell' as it climbs vertically on full reheat. Gee it was like a moonshot! See what I said....kids nowadays have missed all this.

Oh yes the Lister stationary engine. Now to own one of these you also need a 'Sprite' caravan and a wife who loves knitting. I would like to know what they are knitting because what ever it is it's the same size at the end of the rally season as it was at the start. Don't forget the row of dim bulbs and the gentle waft of steam from the water tank. The sound?.... pop, pop, pop,pop, chuff chuff chuff chuff pop pop chuff chuff chuff etc etc for ..............hours. Right then that's another group upset!

By the way kids you've missed nothing there.

Phil. (1964 LP 'The Big Sound of the Drags) playing at full volume in the background!!!)

AS a kid would buy a platform ticket and go to Luton i think from Kings cross ,

wait for the Original Deltic to come thro at nearly 100mph.

I think it remained the property of English Electric .There are a few deltic sounds on U tube.Nearly owned two in a gun boat.Good job we didnt price of fuel for leasure boaters now.:shake::shake::shake:Ice cream cart just fell in.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

<snipped>

Every body has forgotten a Vulcan on full power or my favourite the P1B Lightning doing the 'Lightning farewell' as it climbs vertically on full reheat. Gee it was like a moonshot! See what I said....kids nowadays have missed all this.

</snipped>

No - I remember Vulcans flying operationally as well as airshow display - and the lightnings famous take off trick.

Did you ever see/hear/feel the Saab AJ-37 Viggen do it's party peice on take off?? Came a close second to the Lighning in all departments....

Oh the Binelli what a sound. There was one bike that for it's size was a real screamer and that was the 50cc Krydler or Kridler, a rarety but in the early (very) 60's was the fastest 50cc bike. Sorry Richard I don't have any bike recordings only the memories. Must check out the sounds on 'tinternet'.

Phil.

I know it should have been the Scammell/Meadows 6PC 630 and I feel like a traitor, but this thread is about your thoughts on what built in features and ideas made a good engine fit for it's intended purpose at the time it was made.

Size isn't everything, maybe the Chore horse inspires you, fit for purpose is more important

Whilst I have enjoyed all of the suggestions put forwards and have been sent of surfing to some very interesting and new directions by the links posted here, I'm a bit worried that HMVF is mostly full of off topic manic petrol heads! Who have no care for the peace and quiet of others, or the environment, and are just fixated on hugely loud exhaust notes!! Me included. :-D

So far only Degsy, and Antarmike appear to have properly read and understood the original post, well done!:clap:

The rest of you are forgiven as it's nearly Christmas!

Edited by gritineye

Whilst I have enjoyed all of the suggestions put forwards and have been sent of surfing to some very interesting and new directions by the links posted here, I'm a bit worried that HMVF is mostly full of off topic manic petrol heads! Who have no care for the peace and quiet of others, or the environment, and are just fixated on hugely loud exhaust notes!! Me included. :-D

So far only Degsy, and Antarmike appear to have properly read and understood the original post, well done!:clap:

The rest of you are forgiven as it's nearly Christmas!

Hi Bernard,you beat me to it,i was going to start a thread just on engines.

Maybe you would be gracious enough to allow it to continue on here or The mods could split the thread.:idea: