What MV, Aero or Marine engine is most impressive?

gritineye

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit biased but for a top 3;

Third

Bentley 4.5 litre supercharged, especially when one blasts past you on the A34 leaving everone in it's wake.

Second

Rolls-Royce Merlin (or Griffon)

First prize

Rolls-Royce Olympus 593 Mk610. If you have stood near Concorde during take off you will understand! 166,000 hp from 4 can't be bad.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Is that a Coventry Climax KF4 ? I know the Admiralty used them, but never seen one myself

I can see why you might think that, but its not.:-D

Rootes Commer thingmajig? (TS4?)

Do you meen the very rare prototype TS4.i met a man at the wk end from out your way who is commer mad.he tracked down all 11 0f the TS6 4tonners the army had to evaluate,but bedford got the order.He was offered a new TS4 on a stand but turned it down,Charrington fuel oils had 200 TS6s ran out of wandsworth bridge depot i lived a mile away but if the wind was in the right direction i could hear them leaving in the morning.Whats the TS stand for ?:-D

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Do you know............... that is a picture of an engine I have never seen before, and I didn't know there was a four cylinder version of it. Is this a prototype or was it ever released for commercial use.

Is that known as a TS4.............. love to hear it running. Where is that one kept.

Tell me more........................:cool2:

Been up the creek yet?

Dumped it up there last monday,why do you want to see the video.?

TS stands for Tilling Stevens (Or Stephens) who designed thje original engine before Rootes bought the design. Fink that's right. :)

Well done Will. google TS4 and look at the Big lorry Blog site.

Sulzer started building diesels by having a co operative agreement with Rudolph diesel,I dont reckon its one of theres ,its weird ,noisy,produced more HP than equivalent engines of the day,and Chrysler scrapped it because it was better than any thing they had.Cost £5 million to develop,had to be British.:-D:cool2:

Sulzer started building diesels by having a co operative agreement with Rudolph diesel,I dont reckon its one of theres ,

Apparantly "loosely based on a Sulzer concept", to quote one of several sources. RA Lister also got involved and worked with Rootes to produce and market a marine and industrial power unit based on the TS3

There is a New Zealand website that has the story of the TS4, www.commer.org.nz

The idea of an opposed piston diesel was not new, Junkers having produced the 'Jumo' diesel aero engine during the war. The TS was unique in having a single crank connected to the pistons by connecting rods and substantial rocker arms. Although quite powerful for it's size it provided little in the way of engine braking to supplement the poor brakes of the time.

If the opposed piston concept is used with twin cranks it is possible to vary the compression ratio to suit different fuels by advancing one crank relative to the other. The geometry of the Deltic is even more complicated wth one of the three cranks turning in the opposite direction to the other two.

It's a shame the TS4 engine never really saw the road. I wonder what the output of it would have been.

I remember a farmer who had a couple of Commer TS3's and he knew of others who drove them, and he said they were a very impressive truck to drive.

As an apprentice I serviced a few of them, but never got involved in major repairs as they never went wrong. I was led to believe there were a specially shaped set of scrapers for carrying out decokes. This was because the exhaust came out of slots around the exhaust pistons bore, and the special tools reached all around the inside of the ports. Clever stuff. No doubt they would have been better still with the benefit of modern lubricants and ULS derv.

From what I've read; the TS4 never hit the road as Chrysler bought out Rootes, and Rootes owned Cummins so the development was cancelled. No doubt Chrysler realized the TS4 Would have been a serious threat to the big bulky Cummins engines. In the mid sixties the 14 litre Cummins most common power output was about 220 hp. The TS4 wouldn't have been far off that even for its small size. From memory, no one has clearly decided the cubic capacity of the TS3 as like all two strokes; is really only the swept volume of the cylinder when both inlet and exhaust ports are closed.

Lovely bit of kit, but like everything else this country ever made, it has all now disappeared, swllowed up and spat out by bigger companies, or out legislated in the countries we used to export our fine machinery to. :-(

If you haven't read it I can recommend "Some Unusual Engines" by LJK Setright. It's been out of print for a while now and copies of it seem to go for a lot of money but Setright's wonderful prose makes it one of the most readable books on the subject of bonkers engines. Well worth tracking down. IIRC it was published in the early 70s by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.

If you haven't read it I can recommend "Some Unusual Engines" by LJK Setright. It's been out of print for a while now and copies of it seem to go for a lot of money but Setright's wonderful prose makes it one of the most readable books on the subject of bonkers engines.

Just found 3 copies - £250, £387, £414 :shocked: :sweat:Now where's the nearest library? :coffee: