Next year's going to be hard.

rambo1969

As alot of you know, i'm a private hire driver in london.

The last 4 weeks have been the worst I have had in earnings since I can remember. Very worrying as london is normally reccession proof.

I'm going to have to pick my shows carefully next year as I think money is going to be very tight.

Do you think you will be cutting down on show's next year?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the FT this morning, Monday was the biggest day of money spent on the internet but reckon the 8th will be even bigger.

The first thing you need to do is NOT read newspapers or listen to the news. It will depress you - keep away from them. Live your life and play the hand that you have been dealt.

- there is no good or bad economy, just opportunity.

Being on the retail side of things we have certainly noticed business dropping throughout the year, but the past month particularly bad. But you are right, the coming year will be worse...

Think positive Rick, if people cannot afford or get finance for new cars they will come to you to keep their old ones running. (In theory):)

According to the FT this morning, Monday was the biggest day of money spent on the internet but reckon the 8th will be even bigger.

The first thing you need to do is NOT read newspapers or listen to the news. It will depress you - keep away from them. Live your life and play the hand that you have been dealt.

- there is no good or bad economy, just opportunity.

Heh! - I got a right royal b*ll*cking at the job centre yesterday - the person behind the desk asked what I was doing to find a job and asked if I read newspapers, when I said no they depressed the hell out of me he went into one about how I'd signed an agreement to do so. Considering I spend 90% of my free time desperately trying to find a job this made me see red so I pointed out they'd broken the agreement first 'cos when I signed it I was told I'd be paid £60/week JSA - which they then reneged on telling me I wasn't entitled.

I wouldn't mind - but when was the last time anyone ever saw an advert recruiting Oracle DBA's in a damned newspaper???

If they sound off when I go back in a fortnights time I'm going to tell them to stuff their agreement and we'll part our ways as all I'm getting is aggravation, £4 a trip in bus fares we can't really afford and having whats left of any feelings of self-worth and morale I had destroyed. No help in finding work at all.

Apologies for veering off-topic - but thats something I needed to off-load I'm afraid!!!

A word to the wise AR. Don't be hasty unless you know what the consequences may be. I don't know what they are but conceiveably you could loose entitlements, if not now then in the future. You could always get the Job Centre to tell you (in writing to protect yourself).

Complaint procedure here - whilst the guys at the desk may have a difficult job sorting out the genuine from the fraudulent, they shoud act professionally at all times rather than demean people.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Aboutus/Contactus/Yourcomments/contactus.aspx

Ask them for their customer charter or to be seen by higher official in the future - that'll provoke a response!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The first thing you need to do is NOT read newspapers or listen to the news. It will depress you there is no good or bad economy, just opportunity.

I have to agree with the news bit.Say Jack how would you like the opportunity to pay my next two years lease.( its looking like i wont be able to)That will give me an opportunity to Bugger off now.I think we have to be carefull what we say on this subject,i know there are members here like me who have put there heart and soul into there business,have done everything from building the w/shops to cleaning the bogs.They risk loosing years of hard work,it doesnt seem to matter how hard we work,when the suits sneeze we all catch pneumonia.Just tonight i have travelled 10 miles to pick up a car for service tomorrow just so my fitter has work.tomorrow evening is spoilt for me taking it back.My prices are 3 years old thats how long its been going downhill but no one would listen.

In the last couple of weeks i have made contact with 120 Rover owners in a 5mile radius to me,the result was 3 jobs,all absolute nightmares that nobody inc the main agents coulld fix,why because they would lose money on them.So i think a bit more respect is due to us independents and a bit more loyalty from our clients sometimes wouldnt go a miss.We can do with out the ,one door closes another one opens crowd as well.Heres hoping we all servive into the new year.Best of luck Rick,Rambo.Willy and all the others not sleeping to well at night.

Must remember to confirm that holliday in the Bahamas tomorrow:-D

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

The one time I went to a job centre a few years back, I had a kid of about 18 telling me how to look for a job. Unusually I kept my temper, and found a job despite them! The rule is don't be picky, any money is worth having, as long as you can face yourself in the mirror., and it's easier to find a better job if you already have one. I've worked for some***** security firms over the years when nothing else was about., if your presenatable reliable and speack english your in. Catweazle I feel for you, mate.

Edited by Tony B

I first started my own company in 1990 after leaving a secure job and this was in a "recession" I gave it up in 2002 when the jobs became few and far between, but I had 12 good years in what I liked doing, I then took a job that I do not like but it pays the bills and keeps the wife reasonably happy, I will pick and choose the shows I go to but more than that I will SAVE to go to the ones I want to, SPTA, Bunker Bash, War and Peace, Military MAyhem (got to go there) Lingfield, and anymore that I can afford at the time, I know it is easy to say but why let circumstances spoil what you enjoy, it does not have to be that expensive providing you plan for what you want to do and in time.

Noli Illigitimi casrborundurum!!

Thats just the noise my Velo Solex makes when you dont peddle hard enough,Watch out at the Bunker next year:-D

Mark i think you will find most of us will pick the ones you have in this part of the world.I expect i will be in the L/r,as the champ may well have to go.

Thing is, we have done most of the shows, got a shed full of t shirts. My rule has become quality not quantity. So next year, mainly 65th D-Day but Bunker Bash and Military Mayhem if at all possible. Why? because of the people, organisers and those who attend. The big shows now seem to more buissness than event, and I for one am not going to be a performing monkey for someone elses bank balance.

Mark i think you will find most of us will pick the ones you have in this part of the world.I expect i will be in the L/r,as the champ may well have to go.

Cat

I have got rid of the Jimmy as 5 to the gallon is not perfect but I would have lived with it and chose the shows carefully ie close to home and within a certain radius of home, BUT I have purchased another vehicle and it is one I have always wanted and will give me (I Hope) more MPG and a certain "freedom" to choose more events/shows to attend, albeit living in a tent and not the truck, but will I still enjoy myself..............yes I will and that is what is important in our hobby.

Top man we will all i am sure get to meet up Tonys got his bike,i have got a velo solex so i will be chasing him,no pillion tho,poor patweazle.:n00b:

I first started my own company in 1990 after leaving a secure job and this was in a "recession" I gave it up in 2002 when the jobs became few and far between, but I had 12 good years in what I liked doing, I then took a job that I do not like but it pays the bills and keeps the wife reasonably happy, I will pick and choose the shows I go to but more than that I will SAVE to go to the ones I want to, SPTA, Bunker Bash, War and Peace, Military MAyhem (got to go there) Lingfield, and anymore that I can afford at the time, I know it is easy to say but why let circumstances spoil what you enjoy, it does not have to be that expensive providing you plan for what you want to do and in time.

Perfect attitude Mark.

I think you might just as well retire now CW, if the mandarins in Europe get their way with the proposed new barmy idea all independents in the motor trade including all the factors and aftermarket manufacturers will be shut down.

www.r2rc.co.uk

Quite agree there degsy, at least this government is trying to do something about it, how effective/ineffective they will be time will only tell.

CW, if ever you think about letting the Champ go give me a shout, our bigger workshop will need another vehicle or 2 to keep in at night. Times are hard for anyone in the garage game, if anything I am working harder than ever before doing all sorts of wierd and wonderful marketing schemes to get the people in through the door. We are holding our own.