HWade

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello not to sure what you mean, at the momment the trailer is waiting to be sand blasted when i get around to it. At the moment Iam working on my GMC shopvan.But i do hope to get the Trailer blasted and in primer this year.I have now bought the hard wood floor boards,and also got the wheels.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well its been a while but the Dyson trailer has been sand blasted and painted, I managed to get hold of some wheels, these to have been blasted and painted and some new tyres have been fitted. I have managed to make some of the brackets for the new mud guards. All of the brakes have been cleaned and are now in working order.I have started to refit new Hardwood floor boards and just have a few more to fit.I will post a bit more info when more work takes place, I hope to get all of the mud guards fitted tomorrow, once i have done this I can remove them again togeather with the brackets and get them painted. Well thats it for now.

Howard

trailer 006.jpg

trailer 007.jpg

trailer 004.jpg

Well I have now got all the brackets and mud guards primed and top coated and fitted into position. I have made a start on the two jack legs to lower and raise the front of the trailer so i can knock out the front axle section this is all held in place with one big pin. Here is a couple of pics of the painted mud guards. I will get some pics of the jack legs and with the axle knocked out once all the welding and fitting is completed I hope to have this done monday and tuesday.

Howard

003.jpg

002.jpg

Well had a good day got the box section fitted and welded in, both jacks have been painted in olive drab, I have tried out the jacks and they work fine , there is no effort needed at all to lower and raise the trailer bed, the jacks are very low geared.I have taken a pic of trailer on jacks with front axle pin knocked out. Well thats about it for now, just have the brake linckage to contend with and a few minor bits and pieces.

Howard

SLT 1 002.jpg

SLT 1 003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a couple of pics of the Dyson Trailer nearly finished, it has a small generator on another trailer for moving it around. Just got a few small jobs to do on the Dyson and it will be finished. All of the brakes have been connected up and are working as they should.

Regards

Howard

slt 002..jpg

slt 001..jpg

Now that Howard has started a blog on the Dyson radar, or possibly searchlight trailer, I thought I would raise a question about the Dyson Trailer that it was sitting on. I am sure that it is an ex British Army trailer of WW2 vintage, is only 15' long, and 7'6 wide. It has individual axles with two hubs, mounted on each set of leaf springs, giving it eight wheels but I believe should have two wheels per hub. The trailer is of incredibly heavy construction, and looks like a mini Rogers trailer it had been used to carry a Caterpillar D6 on a farm.

My question is, what would a trailer of this size with sixteen wheels have been made to carry?

I have a trailer the same as the flat bed dyson it is exactly the same in its design and build as to the one pictured it carries a red livery but under this it is dark blue with white lettering possibly ex pickfords ?i have quite a few pictures of Pickfords AEC Matadors running with similar trailers transporting trams . We also have a pair of solid rubber tyred bogies made by Cranes of Dereham which are ex pickfords which are of similar design with the sliding bolster mounted across the middle these are rated at 35tons payload each and were mostly seen with a Scammell 45 ton chain drive tractor hanging on the front .

• 11 years later...