Dyson 4 wheel tailer restoration

HWade

scammell used an underlung spring set-up on the highwayman so its not entirely unknown

That the above spring axle setup exists elsewhere doesn't in itself discredit my suggestion that this trailer has been modified to this arrangement after it left the factory.

What about the other points I raised in post No.22 ? For a start, why would a trailer equipped with support jacks and only fifteen feet long also sport 16 wheels as is being suggested ?

Until shown convincing evidence to the contrary, I still think this trailer started life with a van body and the axles/wheels were modified in civvy street for some specific purpose, probably to lower the bed to assist loading with ramps.

In my earlier post I was careful to say this is a theory of my and that this, or that, may have been so. I don't know for certain, it's just how it seems to me. I look forward to being proved completely wrong.

What, if any, theories do others have that explain all of the design anomalies ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But you could well be right on this one

I'm certain that your thoughts on altering the axle/spring set-up are correct , 6x6 (am I still ok for a Xmas card then?).

Also for example Lang Wheels of Uxbridge made all manner of very similar looking trailers for mobile power generation (and using 8 not 16 wheels).

Edited by N.O.S.

I'm certain that your thoughts on altering the axle/spring set-up are correct , 6x6 (am I still ok for a Xmas card then?).

Bearing in mind how many previous convictions I have for being Completely Wrong on this forum isn't it bit reckless of you to aline yourself with anything I say ? You at least have a reputation maintain whereas I managed to shred mine while still a private and in the first few days of joining up. By the way, found that ignition key yet ?

I sincerely hope Antony doesn't mind all this speculation about what I still think is a very interesting trailer or that HWade minds that his "Dyson 4 wheel trailer restoration" thread has veered slightly off course.

6x6, very clever of you to leave just the front tow hook poking through the tarpaulin. Had me fooled. I do however still have the manufacturers plate so a clone will appear magically from the heap of spares trucks - just wait till you try to register it....

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my Dyson Trailer so far, there are some interesting theories, but no hard evidence for convincing answers. Unfortunately I havn't been able to find a data plate, and I am assuming that it is a Dyson because it has Dyson hub caps. Instinct tells me that the next sensible course of action is to go and look at the other trailer I spoke about, and do a comparison. If I am successfull in finding it I will report back.

Antony.

If anyone has "Golden Days of Heavy haulage" by Bob Tuck, have a look at the photo of the RAF Matador, moving Canberra bomber bomber wing sections on a trailer. Page 65.

The trailer looks similar but longer. Bob Tuck calls it a Tasker.

Quoting "What makes these loads so memorable was the way the trailers were steered round sharp corners. Accompanying the standard load...was a minibus full of RAF personel. When a tight turn was to be effected, the RAF personnel debussed and inserted long poles into the rearmost bogies and by sheer manual effort slewed the rear trailer wheel to point in the desired direction."

I am looking at the sockets on the sides of the bogey of this trailer and wondering, "are they to take such poles for Manual steering?"

Those without the book may like to know the trailer has a similar wheel arrangement but only one wheel not two either side of the raodspring, To my eyes the axles are overslung on the springs.

I will scan and P.M. the photo if anyone wants it but I don't know how to contact Bob Tuck to get copyright agreement to put the Piccy on the board.

I'm always ready to see a picture of a trailer as I'm very keen on trailers.

I wonder if Bob Tuck is the copyright owner as copyright usually resides with the person who originally took the photograph. I understand Bob's job entailed accompanying abnormal loads so maybe he was the photographer and therefore holds the copyright.

If you would like to PM the 'photo to me I'll post it on the understanding that you use your Antar(when it's fixed) to break me out of Pucklechurch Remand Centre if Bob decides to press charges.

Hang on, spoke too soon - the description just posted suggests the rear wheels were steerable by the pole method, not the front carriage :confused:

Not important. The main thing is that we now have a proper period 'photo of the same sort of undercarriage as Antony's trailer. Praise the Lord.

I am wondering if the Farm trailer has been hacked from one of these, and what is now a front bogey, used to be a back bogey. The original trailer might even have been a push me/ pull me. We need a better photo of the back end of the one on the farm, It might have a locked up turntable under there. Both ends might be the same....

Edited by antarmike

attached is the 6 ton Taskers RAF trailer Richard mentioned. platform length is 38 ft; it has 2 interchangeable tow bars 27 & 10 ft. track rods can be disconnected to rotate front and rear bogies through 90 degrees. I have another view of the "Crates" under transportation and they are on the 6 ton version, unfortunately I cannot post the piccy due to copyright.

However I think beyond doubt the trailer we are trying to identify is not one of the series of Tasker made RAF low flat platforms. regards TED

trailer 6 ton 8 wheel Tasker.jpg

attached is the 6 ton Taskers RAF trailer Richard mentioned. platform length is 38 ft; it has 2 interchangeable tow bars 27 & 10 ft. track rods can be disconnected to rotate front and rear bogies through 90 degrees. I have another view of the "Crates" under transportation and they are on the 6 ton version, unfortunately I cannot post the piccy due to copyright.

However I think beyond doubt the trailer we are trying to identify is not one of the series of Tasker made RAF low flat platforms. regards TED

I agree but there are similarities....

I have been to see the 'other' Trailer, allthough I could not find a data plate or any clues to its manufacture, it is very similar to my Dyson. It is the same width, and just 2' longer, but of an allmost identical design, having its full compliment of sixteen wheels. The axles again sit above the springs, with brakes on the rear, as on mine. The drawbar is not original, and the braking has been converted to hydraulic to suit a farm tractor I presume. I include two pictures of the drawbar in my Dyson, showing the remains of an overun braking system.

Antony.

HPIM1810.jpg

HPIM1811.jpg

HPIM1812.jpg

HPIM1814.jpg

HPIM1815.jpg

HPIM1817.jpg

HPIM1821.jpg

HPIM1824.jpg

HPIM1825.jpg

The spring ends turning in brass bushes, in cylindrical sockets of the spring Hangers looks like standard Crane practice.

Ie cylindrical bronze bush has a rectangular slot along its axis that accepts the spring end. Although other manufacturers may have done similar I would strongly suggest it is a Crane Trailer....

Edited by antarmike