Dyson 4 wheel tailer restoration

HWade

Well here we go, I had been aware of this trailer for quite a while, and was informed that it could be going to the scrap man in the sky, so i decided to take it upon myself to take on the restoration and give it a new lease of life, I beleave that it was the chassis for either a radar trailer or a search light trailer.If anybody thinks that it may have been used for somthing else then please tell me.Well today I went over to the site where it was and with a friend of mine we managed to drag it from the undergrowth,I have been quite lucky as its been laying ontop of another dyson trailer, so its not been in contact with the damp ground.On first imprestions it looked a good straight trailer, but when we looked closer the front had a slight twist, so with the help of my friends cutting gear and welder we cut the chassis jacked it up and took out the twist and welded up the chassis.Both the front and and rear axles knock out, and with a bit of heat WD40 we managed to uncease one of the pins on the rear axle the other pin was still free and would pull free. Both front wheels were ceased but with a bar and a pull these were freed off. Well thats about so far, I have to arrange transport to get it back to my work shop or tow it back. Will add more info as and when, here is a few pics as found and being lifted off the other trailer.The brake linkage is all ceased but this should be to much of a problem.One thing you will notice is that the wheels are not correct and it should be running on single british military slit rims.

Howard.

Picture 026.jpg

Picture 028.jpg

Picture 034.jpg

Picture 036.jpg

Picture 037.jpg

Picture 039.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

Edited by HWade

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Mike

We gas cut the chassis in a few places where the twist was, we then jacked the trailer at the front this opened up the cut, we then welded the cut,we did this one by one and this has taken the twist out of the chassis, please not we did not cut right through the chassis just the top and down the chassis rail.

Howard

Now that Howard has started a blog on the Dyson radar, or possibly searchlight trailer, I thought I would raise a question about the Dyson Trailer that it was sitting on. I am sure that it is an ex British Army trailer of WW2 vintage, is only 15' long, and 7'6 wide. It has individual axles with two hubs, mounted on each set of leaf springs, giving it eight wheels but I believe should have two wheels per hub. The trailer is of incredibly heavy construction, and looks like a mini Rogers trailer it had been used to carry a Caterpillar D6 on a farm.

My question is, what would a trailer of this size with sixteen wheels have been made to carry?

HPIM1783.jpg

HPIM1782.jpg

HPIM1781.jpg

HPIM1785.jpg

HPIM1784.jpg

HPIM1780.jpg

HPIM1779.jpg

I am sure that it is an ex British Army trailer of WW2 vintage,

Antony, thank you for posting these 'photos of this very interesting trailer. What has led you to believe this trailer has some military connection ? Thanks.

The reason for my belief that this trailer is ex military, is simple, it has traces of olive drab paint, and looks military!

With regard to the 969, I have the remains of three, from which I can build one, after I have completed a Dodge WC 62 which I am halfway through restoring.

Antony, to me, the significant characteristic of the design of this trailer is the intention to lower the height of the bed as far as possible. Are there sixteen wheels ? I can only see eight relatively light duty, fairly small diameter wheels. Certainly, placing the axle above the leaf springs suggests the need to lower the bed was more important than carrying a very heavy payload.

I'm surprised the unusually low ground clearance of this trailer didn't cause it to constantly bog down while it was on farm duties.

Possibly, the key to figuring out what this trailer was built for is to understand why it needed to be so low. Was it's load very high, was it intended to pass under some fixed structure or is it simply a low loader used with rear ramps as it was during it's farm days ???????

What kind of braking system does this trailer have and are there any indications that it was designed for road use or intended to be confined to an airfield, dockyard or works ?

Edited by 6 X 6

An interesting feature - note the brackets on front dolly for horse shafts.......wouldn't want to be the horse :sweat:

But I can't see any military features, Antony - normally you would expect to see army pattern lights or a coupling or something, however small, to indicate military service :confused: But that is not to say it wasn't military....

Anthony,

I am certain you are correct in saying it should have twin wheels all around. As it stands now the wheels are offset from the hubs, not good practise for load bearing. Looking at a list of military trailers, dated 1969, there is one listed that fits the bill ;

Maker; Dyson

Vehicle Code Number; 3488.0325

Designation; Trailer, flat platform, 35 ton, 8 twin wheels

Royal Navy

I have seen artillery radar systems built on trailers like this but could not see any listed with that wheel configuration, but I am inclined to think it might have been for equipment such as this because of the legs fitted on the corner, assume there is one at each corner?

Hello Richard

I dont know if I said but the Radar / search light trailer does have the wrong wheels on it, I beleave that the trailer should have single British army wheels,slit rims.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Are you meaning the first trailer mentioned? I was writing about the bigger platform trailer.

You are probably correct in your one, it does look like a radar trailer, very low chassis to keep the C of G down. Would no doubt have had didvided rims and singles at that. I cannot find any specific info on that one.

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your in depth reply about my trailer, I am fairly confident it should have dual wheels on each hub, apart from your observations regarding the offset of single wheels, I have been told of another trailer which sounds identical to mine with sixteen wheels. It is on a farm not too far away, so I will have to go and have a look.

Antony.

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your in depth reply about my trailer, I am fairly confident it should have dual wheels on each hub, apart from your observations regarding the offset of single wheels, I have been told of another trailer which sounds identical to mine with sixteen wheels. It is on a farm not too far away, so I will have to go and have a look.

Hi Antony,

The designation I quoted, does not describe as 16 wheels, but as 8 twin wheels, I can now see the lugs on corners of trailer for support jacks all around. These would be fitted on a trailer that was fitted out with equipment, for stability when sited, so it might have had a body on it originally.

Hello Richard

in answer to your question i did mean the first trailler, I dont have a radar or a search light for it but i do know where there is a very military cabin,its about 7ft square and this would fit on the trailer a treat, so i may go down that path,we will have to see.I know it wont be right but at least it saves the trailer chassis and is being used for a purpose.Will keep you all informed as i progress with the rebuild.

Howard

Edited by HWade

Hi Antony,

I can now see the lugs on corners of trailer for support jacks all around. These would be fitted on a trailer that was fitted out with equipment, for stability when sited, so it might have had a body on it originally.

Richard, I'm sure your comment regarding the support jacks is quite correct and that one usually associates these jacks being fitted to wireless/radar vans etc. However, one does not normally think of van trailers of this type being so heavy that they needed eight, or even sixteen, wheels.

So far, the comments on this thread seem to me to be suggesting that we think this trailer was designed to carry quite a heavy payload, hence the large number of wheels to distribute the weight. If this was the case, why would one fit support jacks to a trailer intended to convey heavy loads ? Is that usual practise ?

Talking of unusual arrangements, has anyone on here ever before seen an arrangement where the axle rides on top of the leaf spring and not, in the conventional manner, under the spring ?

My current theory is that this trailer was built using the bed of a cut down van type trailer and that the very interesting undercarriage may also have been workshop built, by reducing standard track army surplus trailer axles, and that these axles were fitted above the leaf spring to lower the bed so that plant could be more easily driven up ramps onto it.

It looks to me as though the farmer engineer who may have built this marvelous trailer may have used gas to cut away a section of chassis to accommodate the axle being fitted above the springs and to get a spanner on those nuts. I don't think Dyson would have done it quite like this.

Does this look "right" to you ?

HPIM1784-2.jpg

Antony mentions another similar trailer on a farm near him. I'd be very interested to see 'photos of that one and also to hear what evidence there is that this trailer was ever fitted with a braking system. I can see brake drums but, not from the 'photos, any sign of a braking system. Without brakes, out on the road, in the wet, this trailer would soon be round giving the radiator of the towing vehicle a french kiss.

A very convincing argument, 6x6. The underslung spring arrangement is certainly not unkown - e.g. Crane 45/60T drawbar lowloader axles and other types. But you could well be right on this one, difficult to say without actually "seeing and prodding it" so to speak.

This would then put the original drawbar height at more like the typical army tow hook height, so might this then be one of the numerous ex army tank trailers which were used in large numbers by early postwar heavy haulers such as Siddle Cook etc?

No, just checked some books and the trailer is nowhere wide enough to be one of these

Over to Antony (who is probably still struggling with the DT 969 tarpaulin....)

Edited by N.O.S.