Lucky find

Tony B

Cleaning up the remains of the doors for the WS 10 trailer has uncovered two plates. Up to now the manufacturer and any details of the trailer has been speculation. The first plate is marked Tickford Ltd, now I know there is a Tickford enginnerring who specalise in performance vehicles, but maybe the brains trust of the Grumps, Catweazle and Degsey, may be able to help me, was there a Tickford Agriculutural Enginners? reason is a lot of the fittings are the same as agricultural trailers. There was also a Tickford coach builders, anyone got any info on them?

Below this is Contract: 6/WT/7908/ CB14 (A)

Repaired 7/50

Now that corresponds with the earlier info that some went to Australia for use on test ranges.

The second plate has: MOD RECORD

Assembly Cat No- but no numbers

Then 25 boxes numbered 1 to 25 and the letters figures YA8196

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tony B

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
, but maybe the brains trust of the Grumps, Catweazle and Degsey, .

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Sorry mate.the only link i know between radio and the army ,is familly favourites.:-D

The firm was originally Salmons coachbuilders, it was changed to Tickfords Ltd, in 1942 when ownership changed. They were doing war work, making ladders, tables, etc. At the end of the war, the Ministry of Supply was giving them work refurbishing and converting vehicle bodies. I think the Contract No. you quote is a post war contract and also only refers to the bodywork. This is born out by the Mod Record plate that seemed to be introduced postwar on vehicles and their sub-assemblies. I would think the actual trailer itself was produced by another manufacturer, do you have any numbers off the chassis?